England v Ukraine

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: England v Ukraine

by Stranded » 05 Oct 2009 17:17

rob the royal oh for the days when england games were shown by the bbc without fail. i thought losing some to itv, sky and setanta was bad, but this is a joke. I hope nobody watches it on the internet... that'll learn 'em

Learn who exactly...

The FA? It's nowt to do with them...

The TV Channels - it failing will back up their decision not to bid for it?

The internet company - possibly but I doubt it would stop somebody else going for it if the game is more important....

It's a very strange game to "trial" this on as it doesn't matter but I guess they took the risk that it would have something riding on it when they bought it a few months ago..

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 06 Oct 2009 01:44

Another option aside from live streams is to try and find a pub that has the foreign channels.

Next time i see that stupid ITV advert saying football united or whatever bollocks they've come up with, i might throw my toys out the pram! :x

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 06 Oct 2009 08:23

Compo's Hat Another option aside from live streams is to try and find a pub that has the foreign channels.

the gateway.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 06 Oct 2009 09:34

I wouldn't get too concerned about this event, it's an anomaly, the result of an almost perfect storm of broadcaster rights issues.

It's not the FA, BBC, ITV or SKY's fault that Setenta folded.

If the game meaned anything won of the big broadcasters would have picked up the rights to it.

It just happened that the game became available to buy just at the time when it also became meaningless.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Oct 2009 18:35

Seal I wouldn't get too concerned about this event, it's an anomaly, the result of an almost perfect storm of broadcaster rights issues.

If the game meaned anything won of the big broadcasters would have picked up the rights to it.

It just happened that the game became available to buy just at the time when it also became meaningless.

Spot on. The home FA sells the rights to the highest bidder, Setanta bought it then went bust - and no-one else has come in to buy those rights apart from this internet company.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Oct 2009 18:39

PlasticRoyale
Yorkshire Royal You can watch it for free at bet365. You just need an account with funds in.

Not much help if you are under 18 I know....

I have several funded bet365 accounts ......LOOK AT ME FINANCIALLY SUPPORTING STOKE CITY :wink: :roll:

Corrected for you! :wink:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Oct 2009 20:27

Dirk Gently
Seal I wouldn't get too concerned about this event, it's an anomaly, the result of an almost perfect storm of broadcaster rights issues.

Spot on. The home FA sells the rights to the highest bidder, Setanta bought it then went bust - and no-one else has come in to buy those rights apart from this internet company.
Just a shame that the England game (the same as the Cricket etc) sale rights have not been restricted to free-to-view tv only.

Whilst, I have no problem with pay-per-view Prem/Champ/Divisional games, International matches are our (as British tax and licence fee payers) "national right".

The Minister for Sport shouldnt've allowed it to happen, the FA should't be so greedy, and the BBC/ITV should reschedule their Come-Dancing/X-Craptor shows.

(unless watching live) I will never pay to watch what is already mine.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Oct 2009 20:47

AthleticoSpizz
Dirk Gently

Just a shame that the England game (the same as the Cricket etc) sale rights have not been restricted to free-to-view tv only.

Whilst, I have no problem with pay-per-view Prem/Champ/Divisional games, International matches are our (as British tax and licence fee payers) "national right".

The Minister for Sport shouldnt've allowed it to happen, the FA should't be so greedy, and the BBC/ITV should reschedule their Come-Dancing/X-Craptor shows.

(unless watching live) I will never pay to watch what is already mine.

The broadcasting rights are held with the Ukranian FA and you can't blame them for accepting the highest bid for the rights for what was, in a broadcasting terms, their most lucrative fixture. Hardly their fault that Setanta also had their heads up their collective arses when it came to bidding way over the top for said broadcasting rights, a figure that no other broadcaster in their right minds would match.

Sadly, I think this could be a taste of things to come as far as broadcasting live football is concerned and for that reason, a very sad day.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 06 Oct 2009 22:31

A certain pub that i drink in is linking the laptop up to the tele to show the game Saturday 8)

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 06 Oct 2009 22:40

Compo's Hat A certain pub that i drink in is linking the laptop up to the tele to show the game Saturday 8)

Is there something i don't about here? If so f'ing tell me.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 06 Oct 2009 23:13

Focher
Compo's Hat A certain pub that i drink in is linking the laptop up to the tele to show the game Saturday 8)

Not your local silly Focher, the one i drink in quite a lot!!!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 06 Oct 2009 23:15

Compo's Hat
Focher

Not your local silly Focher, the one i drink in quite a lot!!!

IN

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 07 Oct 2009 08:55

AthleticoSpizz The broadcasting rights are held with the Ukranian FA and you can't blame them for accepting the highest bid for the rights for what was, in a broadcasting terms, their most lucrative fixture. Hardly their fault that Setanta also had their heads up their collective arses when it came to bidding way over the top for said broadcasting rights, a figure that no other broadcaster in their right minds would match.

Sadly, I think this could be a taste of things to come as far as broadcasting live football is concerned and for that reason, a very sad day.

Exactly, this is nothing to do with the FA or indeed the government!

As Athletico says, the FA only control England HOME games. Away games are controlled by the respective football associations of whichever country is hosting the game, in this case Ukraine.

Many of the smaller national governing bodies do not have the resources to sell these rights themselves, therefore they out source it to a third party such as Kentaro, Sport Five or IMG. In this case it was Kentaro, and it is their job to manage the process, and in essence sell the rights to the highest bidder. This is particularly important in the case of England matches, as generally they attract the highest rights fees due to the competitiveness and demand of our TV market.

The only reason that ITV and BBC always used to show away games was because they were the only channels. Since the advent of subscription channels, away games have often been on SKY. The unique circumstances in this case are that this is the first time a broadcaster holding the rights has folded, hence the issue has suddenly come into national conscience.

There is nothing the Government can do to protect these rights (unlike Wimbledon, the Olympics and World Cup for example). The only thing they could do is buy the rights themselves, and then hand them over to a free to air channel, which I’m not convinced would be the best use of tax payers’ money...

In terms of the future...there is nothing to stop a website bidding for the rights in the future. However, it would take a huge cheque for them to outbid say SKY or ESPN for an Englang game that actually mattered, therefore it remains pretty unlikley that we'll see an event like this again anytime soon.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Oct 2009 10:03

Deathy Watching England is usually hard work, so no loss really.

Not in the seat I was watching them in last game. Mid tier at Wembley. 8)

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 11 Oct 2009 10:14

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 300758.stm

Ukraine v England was shown on MOTD last night but the deal was a secret that could not be announced by BBC until after the match. :roll:

I expect it worked quite well for BBC as many ordinary viewers would have just switched on on Saturday night to watch MOTD completely oblivious to the Internet streaming scam and just assuming the match would be on TV.

This world is crazy.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 11 Oct 2009 10:57

Listening to the match on 5live > paying a silly fee

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 11 Oct 2009 11:02

RG30 Listening to the match on 5live > paying a silly fee

Agreed. I thought the commentary was pretty good on 5-live to be honest. It also made me realise that I actually miss listening to football on the radio.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 11 Oct 2009 12:35

Gordons Cumming
Deathy Watching England is usually hard work, so no loss really.

Not in the seat I was watching them in last game. Mid tier at Wembley. 8)

Watching England is usually hard work, so no loss really.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 11 Oct 2009 13:20

Rio Ferdinand in numerous lapses in concentration shocker

:roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Oct 2009 14:18

Seal
AthleticoSpizz The broadcasting rights are held with the Ukranian FA and you can't blame them for accepting the highest bid for the rights for what was, in a broadcasting terms, their most lucrative fixture. Hardly their fault that Setanta also had their heads up their collective arses when it came to bidding way over the top for said broadcasting rights, a figure that no other broadcaster in their right minds would match.

Exactly, this is nothing to do with the FA or indeed the government!

As Athletico says, the FA only control England HOME games. Away games are controlled by the respective football associations of whichever country is hosting the game, in this case Ukraine.

Many of the smaller national governing bodies do not have the resources to sell these rights themselves, therefore they out source it to a third party such as Kentaro, Sport Five or IMG. In this case it was Kentaro, and it is their job to manage the process, and in essence sell the rights to the highest bidder. This is particularly important in the case of England matches, as generally they attract the highest rights fees due to the competitiveness and demand of our TV market.

The only reason that ITV and BBC always used to show away games was because they were the only channels. Since the advent of subscription channels, away games have often been on SKY. The unique circumstances in this case are that this is the first time a broadcaster holding the rights has folded, hence the issue has suddenly come into national conscience.

There is nothing the Government can do to protect these rights (unlike Wimbledon, the Olympics and World Cup for example). The only thing they could do is buy the rights themselves, and then hand them over to a free to air channel, which I’m not convinced would be the best use of tax payers’ money...

In terms of the future...there is nothing to stop a website bidding for the rights in the future. However, it would take a huge cheque for them to outbid say SKY or ESPN for an Englang game that actually mattered, therefore it remains pretty unlikley that we'll see an event like this again anytime soon.

Athletico didn't say that, From Despair to Where? did.