Sin Bins at 2010 World Cup

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stretts
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Sin Bins at 2010 World Cup

by Stretts » 07 Oct 2009 07:35

Good idea I reckon:

Cheats are facing the real prospect of sin bins at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa, according to one of football's most powerful men.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... uth_Africa

The Knitting Circle

Re: Sin Bins at 2010 World Cup

by The Knitting Circle » 07 Oct 2009 08:44

lets use an egg shaped ball too and change the goals into basketball nets.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 Oct 2009 09:54

I see the name Jack Warner here.... as I recall he's a Sepp mkII in the making and on top of that is always anti England (or at least comes across as that).

It's certainly another stupid idea from the dreamland that is FIFA, so he's obviously in the right job.

Mind you this is the organisation that awarded the World Cup tournament to South Africa in the first place....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 07 Oct 2009 10:04

He was on the radio last night

"England might have the best facilities but its all about the perception" :|

I think there's a pretty big story in how he gets votes for the bids he likes - was it 2006 that had a bit of a scandal surrounding it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Oct 2009 10:45

Barry the bird boggler I see the name Jack Warner here.... as I recall he's a Sepp mkII in the making and on top of that is always anti England (or at least comes across as that).

It's certainly another stupid idea from the dreamland that is FIFA, so he's obviously in the right job.

Mind you this is the organisation that awarded the World Cup tournament to South Africa in the first place....

Sin bins is anything but a stupid idea and would stamp out half the crap that goes on on a football pitch in one swoop.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 07 Oct 2009 10:47

Stranded
Barry the bird boggler I see the name Jack Warner here.... as I recall he's a Sepp mkII in the making and on top of that is always anti England (or at least comes across as that).

Sin bins is anything but a stupid idea and would stamp out half the crap that goes on on a football pitch in one swoop.

'greed

Refs will be more willing to send a player to the sin bin than dish out a red card....so we'll see alot of the crap that goes on in football slowly being reduced

11.30 from paddington

by 11.30 from paddington » 07 Oct 2009 13:05

There may be a place for sin bins in football (especially for dissent, diving etc), but why do FIFA always want to introduce a new rule for the World Cup Finals!?

It'll just lead to a number of farcial games, as players and refs adapt to the new rules.

They should've trialled this at a youth/u-20 tournament, then if successful rolled it out across the game for one full season. Therefore, any problems can be ironed out before the sport's most prestigious event.

The IAAF don't change the rules governing false-starting for 100m just before the Olympics, so why FIFA feel the need to use the World Cup as a guinea-pig is beyond me.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Oct 2009 19:13

It's certainly not going to happen - it would require an IFAB experiemnt, and they don't meet again until Spring - and there's no way they'd be allowed to use teh WC as an experimental tournament for something so radical.

And LOL at anyone taking seriously what Jack Warner says.

Stretts
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stretts » 07 Oct 2009 19:33

Dirk Gently And LOL at anyone taking seriously what Jack Warner says.

Evening all.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Oct 2009 10:10

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 08 Oct 2009 11:34

papereyes He was on the radio last night

"England might have the best facilities but its all about the perception" :|

I think there's a pretty big story in how he gets votes for the bids he likes - was it 2006 that had a bit of a scandal surrounding it.

Think it was on panorama, the guy made a whole lot of money by Trinidad & Tobago being in the last world cup.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 08 Oct 2009 11:41

He awarded all the travel rights for the Caribbean to a company run by his son IIRC so they were the only people able to supply tickets to the travelling fans ...

Not sure about sin bins. Refs already have the power to deal with dissent and diving perfectly well under the current laws. Why add a 5th option for punishing things ! Do you upgrade some offences that currently merit a warning and a free kick or do you down grade some that currently merit a caution ?

Would a sin binning be the same as a caution in that a second one would earn you a red card ? If so would you just abolish the caution altogether ?

How would a sin binning offence in the last minute of a game be punished ?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Oct 2009 13:41

Sun Tzu He awarded all the travel rights for the Caribbean to a company run by his son IIRC so they were the only people able to supply tickets to the travelling fans ...

Not sure about sin bins. Refs already have the power to deal with dissent and diving perfectly well under the current laws. Why add a 5th option for punishing things ! Do you upgrade some offences that currently merit a warning and a free kick or do you down grade some that currently merit a caution ?

Would a sin binning be the same as a caution in that a second one would earn you a red card ? If so would you just abolish the caution altogether ?

How would a sin binning offence in the last minute of a game be punished ?

Same as it is in rugby, you get sinbinned with less than 10 mins to go, your fault - end of your game.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1