Wigan Athletic

frimmers

Re: Wigan Athletic

by frimmers » 24 Nov 2009 10:15

"Did you also know that Spacey still holds a grudge for a girl who once borrowed his pencil sharpener, at school, without asking....he says its the reason he dislikes women!"

only because she stuck it in his ear..petty if you ask me....

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 24 Nov 2009 10:38

Sun Tzu
Given that clubs with double that haven;t, and clubs with less than that have I'm not sure it's really a key factor.

Bar half a dozen clubs there is no long term guarantee that any club will remain in the PL and if Newcastle can get relegated and Fulham can stay there for an extended period I suspect that crowd size is a lesser consideration than perhaps management policy !

The only clubs with less then that who have survived have crept into the PL bubble either before the money got silly or had large benefactors (re Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham, Wigan) or swiftly dissapeared again.

Of course management plays a huge part, as you rightly point out with Newcastle,but my point was that once you're out of the PL bubble it's a lot harder to get back and stay there without bigger crowds/reputation etc etc.

Ask 100 people who they'd back to be in the PL 10 years from now, Wigan or Sheffield Wednesday and I'm sure the majority would back the later. Teams like Wigan can buck the odds but sooner or later the bubble bursts and does the club have the facilities and ambitions to bounce back?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 24 Nov 2009 13:28

Wimb
Ask 100 people who they'd back to be in the PL 10 years from now, Wigan or Sheffield Wednesday and I'm sure the majority would back the later. Teams like Wigan can buck the odds but sooner or later the bubble bursts and does the club have the facilities and ambitions to bounce back?

And the evidence that Sheff Wed have the facilities and ambition to bounce back is what, based on their performance over recent years ?

I'd agree that if Wigan drop they may find it hard to come back quickly but i'm not convinced Sheff Wed are a good example of a club with a different model that has proved successful !

I'd be amazed if anyone would offer much of an opinion as to which teams would be where in 10 years time !

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 24 Nov 2009 13:33

Wimb Ask 100 people who they'd back to be in the PL 10 years from now, Wigan or Sheffield Wednesday and I'm sure the majority would back the later.

LOL! If you asked 100 people who don't know anything about football, then yeah.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 24 Nov 2009 17:38

Sun Tzu [Yonner Athletic's] financial model is not really any worse than that of most clubs.

Really? Isn't it comparable to Gretna's financial model? What happens when Mr "There's a club in the north, son" dies?

As for there being a lot to like about Wigan, what exactly? The Netto Abramovic at the helm? The steadfast insistence that Wigan (WIGAN!) needs a top-flight football team, despite being overwhelmingly a rugby town? The pie barm?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 24 Nov 2009 17:56

About the empty gesture - there's a piece of me that thinks that no gesture that could not be made and is, and is vaguely altrusitic is not an empty gesture.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 25 Nov 2009 07:40

Sun Tzu
Wimb

And the evidence that Sheff Wed have the facilities and ambition to bounce back is what, based on their performance over recent years ?

I'd agree that if Wigan drop they may find it hard to come back quickly but i'm not convinced Sheff Wed are a good example of a club with a different model that has proved successful !

I'd be amazed if anyone would offer much of an opinion as to which teams would be where in 10 years time !

Ok to qualify that, IF Dave Wheelan left/ran out of money, who would you back. I.e if the playing field was even.

Sheffield Weds have averaged 20k+ for years despite massive under achievement. Sheffield is a passionate football town and they've recently announced a massive redevelopment for Hillborough.

Big club, massive potential, recent underachievment but past success > small club, small fanbase, decent Premiership form over 4 seasons, backed by 1 man.

frimmers

by frimmers » 25 Nov 2009 10:09

did anyone else hear the shelf chant(to the wigan fans"what times your minibus"?