the 'shots despatch the royals from the fa cup in '67

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
frimmers

the 'shots despatch the royals from the fa cup in '67

by frimmers » 12 Nov 2009 20:19

via this jack howarth goal.

posted as an artefact,not a kudos gaining effort.
Last edited by frimmers on 15 Nov 2009 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: the 'shots despatch the royals from the fa cup in '69

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Nov 2009 20:30

frimmers via this jack howarth goal.

Do you have the Martin Hicks headed og from 18 yards out in the Utter Nonsense Cup when you gubbed us 3-1? or was it 3-0? Around 1990 / 91

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 12 Nov 2009 21:56

Terminal Boardom Do you have the Martin Hicks headed og from 18 yards out in the Utter Nonsense Cup when you gubbed us 3-1? or was it 3-0? Around 1990 / 91

If Mick Gooding (!?) hadn't equalised with alate penalty in the league game at the Rec the same year, I may have quite literally killed myself

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Nov 2009 22:17

Jerry St Clair
Terminal Boardom Do you have the Martin Hicks headed og from 18 yards out in the Utter Nonsense Cup when you gubbed us 3-1? or was it 3-0? Around 1990 / 91

If Mick Gooding (!?) hadn't equalised with alate penalty in the league game at the Rec the same year, I may have quite literally killed myself

Think that was the Easter Monday game in 89. Stuart Beavon with the last kick of the game. Apprently, it was given because the Aldershot trainer entered the penalty area to attend an 'injured' player without permission. Apprently thats the law!

That game was an outrageous crush on the terraces. and just 1 week after Hillsborough. :|

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Nov 2009 23:06

The Utter Nonsense cup tie was definitely midweek and came shortly after losing 2-1 in the cup to non league Colchester Utd and an appalling 4-2 home defeat to Stockport County when Porterfield had Moran and Senior on the bench!

Who did Porterfield manage before joining Reading? Immediately before that is. Hmmmmmmm.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 13 Nov 2009 22:24

Tony Le Mesmer That game was an outrageous crush on the terraces. and just 1 week after Hillsborough. :|

Yep, and we were locked in afterwards. One of my first away games as a 14 year old.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 13 Nov 2009 22:43

Biscuitmen.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Nov 2009 22:52

Jerry St Clair
Tony Le Mesmer That game was an outrageous crush on the terraces. and just 1 week after Hillsborough. :|

Yep, and we were locked in afterwards. One of my first away games as a 14 year old.

I wasn't locked in. Must have been all you south bank hooligan types!

A small group of us would go and watch the Shite 4 or 5 times a season for a laugh. We always stood at the same place. Near the South Stand on the Tea Bar / Kiosk side. Got on really well with the locals who knew we were Reading supporters but there was never any animosity. Always a good laugh in a very relaxed atmosphere. Once, we watched Reading beat Palace at Selhurst, 3-2 I think it was. We legged it to the car as soon as the final whistle went then sped across the The Rec to see them demolish Gillingham 6-0. Steve Claridge played.

Well, with the number of times we used to go there, the locals and the old bill recognised us and knew we were Reading supporters so, when Reading played there, we stood where we always stood and had a great crack. Any Readingfans trying to stand with us were moved to the East Bank. :lol:

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 14 Nov 2009 16:30

frimmers via this jack howarth goal.

Do you remember a full back by the name of Alan Wooller who played for Reading early 70's and then moved to Aldershot via West Ham? I've got to know him quite well through our line of work and he talks about playing in the same side as the legendary Jack Howarth.

He disappointed me though when he said he had only "heard of Robin Friday"..... :o

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 14 Nov 2009 23:23

the royals in 69?..do your homework mate.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Nov 2009 00:05

Whereas the shite have always been called the shite!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 15 Nov 2009 04:06

Lazy. Do some research first before posting inaccurate bollocks.

That was in Jan 67 and I remember because it was my first away game. A rearranged game after a postponement. Record crowd - at the time - of 16,500 for the Shite. Do you want to mention the Shite's 6-2 Cup defeat in December of the same year when we somehow managed to go in at half time 5-0 up? We were regular Shite-kickers in the 60s and 70s.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 15 Nov 2009 08:01

Is this last time Aldersh*t beat Reading in a proper competiton then?

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 15 Nov 2009 10:41

TBF I dont think we have played them much since then, I remember the players changing rooms were behind one of the stands and the players had to dodge spectators to get to the pitch.

frimmers

by frimmers » 15 Nov 2009 13:17

it was lazy..the chapter involving the cup match spanned the years 1967 to 1969....i apologise for any upset caused,but unfortunately,i cannot change the result. i look forward to the day when (if) we ever get to the third round proper of the f.a cup aldershot town can be paired with reading f.c for the first competitive match in both teams histories....it would probably be a freak draw at the madstad,followed by a crushing defeat on a wednesday night at the rec in front of a bursting at the seams crowd under the floodlights with the east bank(divided for the occasion)alive with the baying of rival fans.....call me a softie,but for me,that is football.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 16 Nov 2009 13:05

frimmers it was lazy..the chapter involving the cup match spanned the years 1967 to 1969....i apologise for any upset caused,but unfortunately,i cannot change the result. i look forward to the day when (if) we ever get to the third round proper of the f.a cup aldershot town can be paired with reading f.c for the first competitive match in both teams histories....it would probably be a freak draw at the madstad,followed by a crushing defeat on a wednesday night at the rec in front of a bursting at the seams crowd under the floodlights with the east bank(divided for the occasion)alive with the baying of rival fans.....call me a softie,but for me,that is football.

I would absolutely love that, Frimmers. (Except the defeat, of course).

frimmers

by frimmers » 16 Nov 2009 15:18

Jerry St Clair
frimmers it was lazy..the chapter involving the cup match spanned the years 1967 to 1969....i apologise for any upset caused,but unfortunately,i cannot change the result. i look forward to the day when (if) we ever get to the third round proper of the f.a cup aldershot town can be paired with reading f.c for the first competitive match in both teams histories....it would probably be a freak draw at the madstad,followed by a crushing defeat on a wednesday night at the rec in front of a bursting at the seams crowd under the floodlights with the east bank(divided for the occasion)alive with the baying of rival fans.....call me a softie,but for me,that is football.

I would absolutely love that, Frimmers. (Except the defeat, of course).

err..the"crushing defeat" was in reading's favour:)

frimmers

Re: the 'shots despatch the royals from the fa cup in '67

by frimmers » 28 Nov 2009 17:40

it may be on...at least as far as "out of the hat is concerned.....could that dream pairing become a reality? the magic of the f.a cup....

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1