Plymouth v Barnsley game

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Plymouth v Barnsley game

by Alan Partridge » 30 Nov 2009 16:41

Personal opinion is the result should stand at 4-1. But that's not going to happen.

I agree with everything in that Barnsley chairman's letter.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Nov 2009 16:56

Alan Partridge Personal opinion is the result should stand at 4-1. But that's not going to happen.

I agree with everything in that Barnsley chairman's letter.

But he pretty much contradicts himself by suggesting the ref should have played on but that if he had he would have had to call it off 10/15 mins later anyway - he perhaps should have called at half time, but Barnsley were already 4-1 up then anyway. Right call by him however harsh it seems.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 16:58

So the ref is being criticised for not consulting the managers? What do you think each of them would have said with the score at 4-1? So how would that have helped him?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 30 Nov 2009 17:11

What a sensationalist load of sh*te from the Barnsley owner. He's entitled to feel somewhat aggrieved that his team don't get to finish the game, but to be honest anyone who's seen the footage would see that not even a Sunday park game would go ahead in those conditions.

I do feel somewhat for them with regards to red and yellow cards and the suspensions. That side of things is all wrong IMO.

I also note the crude attempt at guilt-tripping with the reference to Iain Hume. Change the record ffs.

http://www.greensonscreen.co.uk/matchdi ... oned/1.mp3

ALOL @ this. Commentators go nuts when they realise the abandonment :lol:

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 30 Nov 2009 17:42

The Barnsley owner's got this wrong. He's saying that the ref abandoned earlier than necessary; in fact, he abandoned before things got worse: smart. It's tough toffee nuts for Barnsley, but they are the rules. I agree with him, though, that there's a contradiction over the booking/suspension situation.

Does it matter to Reading who wins this game? If we go down by three points or fewer at the end of the season, then it might be a factor. But we have a shedload of games to get through before then, and it keeps Barnsley closer to us than they would have been.

size 12

by size 12 » 30 Nov 2009 17:54

floyd__streete
Thaumagurist* I remember the Leicester replay. Quite disgraceful.

Was Reading vs Bury in the Coca-Cola Cup 95/96 (abandoned at 0-2 due to a waterlogged pitch, 2-1 win in the replay) also a disgrace?

No, it was highly amusing! Mick Gooding virtually pleaded with the referee to call the game off at 2-0 after about 24 minutes

working class hero

by working class hero » 30 Nov 2009 19:00

Stranded
Thaumagurist* I remember the Leicester replay. Quite disgraceful. Wasn't that the season when Leicester were cheating by not paying off their debts while managing to keep hold of their better players on big money?

What was disgraceful about it? If anything the original game should not have started but calling it off and replaying it was entirely the correct thing to do.

The disgrace was waiting until half time to abandon it. Abandon before half time and tickets are valid for the rearranged fixture. Abandon after [which is the norm] and clubs generally charge you all over again.
The Leicester game was an oddity as he waited until it stopped raining to abandon it....

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 30 Nov 2009 19:20

I believe Football League guidelines stipulate:

a) that if the match is abandoned before kick off then tickets are valid for the rearranged fixture.
b) that if the match is abandoned before or during the half time interval then admittance for the rearranged fixture should be at half the original fixture's cost
c) that if the match is abandoned after half time then admittance for the rearranged fixture should be at the same price as the original fixture.

Unless they've changed since our abandoned match against Burnley in Jan 07, that is what the guidelines are.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 30 Nov 2009 19:40

That sadly doesn't take into consideration costs for the supporters who either cannot make the rearranged fixture or the cost of travelling to the game. It's harsh in that respect but as always someone has to suffer.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 19:58

Tough shit, really - no-one likes abandoned matches including the clubs themselves.

The home club invariably makes a big financial loss on them.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 30 Nov 2009 20:15

handbags_harris I do feel somewhat for them with regards to red and yellow cards and the suspensions. That side of things is all wrong

Agreed. Surely if the "result" is not valid then everything else in the abandoned match shouldn't be valid?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Nov 2009 20:30

T.R.O.L.I.
handbags_harris I do feel somewhat for them with regards to red and yellow cards and the suspensions. That side of things is all wrong

Agreed. Surely if the "result" is not valid then everything else in the abandoned match shouldn't be valid?

So if someone goes into a challenge recklessly with a elbow swinging and lays someone out they should get off scott-free if the game later gets abandoned?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 30 Nov 2009 21:02

Platypuss
T.R.O.L.I.

So if someone goes into a challenge recklessly with a elbow swinging and lays someone out they should get off scott-free if the game later gets abandoned?

Agreed. A yellow or red card is usually a punishment for a single act in contravention of the laws of the game (though, admittedly, it can be an accumulation of minor indiscretions). The result cannot stand because the laws require a 90 minute game. A foul is a singular event, and is a seperate entity within the context of the match.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 30 Nov 2009 22:29

Jerry St Clair
Platypuss So if someone goes into a challenge recklessly with a elbow swinging and lays someone out they should get off scott-free if the game later gets abandoned?

Agreed. A yellow or red card is usually a punishment for a single act in contravention of the laws of the game (though, admittedly, it can be an accumulation of minor indiscretions). The result cannot stand because the laws require a 90 minute game. A foul is a singular event, and is a seperate entity within the context of the match.

But the "match" is non-existent.

However, what if a player is cautioned for "over-celebrating" a goal - a goal that effectively was never scored. No goal but the yellow card stil stands and if it's his 5th booking (or 10th or 15th) then he gets a ban even though the goal is no more...

Agreed about the reckless challenge but I'm sure that some FA panel could deal with dismissals for serious foul play in abandoned games.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Nov 2009 22:36

T.R.O.L.I.
Jerry St Clair
Platypuss So if someone goes into a challenge recklessly with a elbow swinging and lays someone out they should get off scott-free if the game later gets abandoned?

But the "match" is non-existent.

Not sure I agree - it's the result that doesn't exist.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Nov 2009 22:40

Dirk Gently Tough shit, really - no-one likes abandoned matches including the clubs themselves.

Do they? Isn't it something like if the game is abandoned in the first half that the club would have to re-issue tickets for no cost, but after that it's just tough shit. They would make more then, surely? Or am I getting this all mixed up?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Nov 2009 22:42

Thaumagurist* I remember the Leicester replay. Quite disgraceful. Wasn't that the season when Leicester were cheating by not paying off their debts while managing to keep hold of their better players on big money?

Disgraceful? Were you there? The ball was stopping in the puddles! It was rightly abandoned, although it made for a decent scrap and I'd have liked to see them continue.

Hahnemann's Hairdresser

by Hahnemann's Hairdresser » 30 Nov 2009 22:42

Ian Royal TBF it's just generally always nice to see mouthy little gobshite teams like Plymouth and Brighton relegated.

What exactly are you basing that on? Surely your whole opinion on those two clubs isn't purely based on the fact that two clowns have come on here in the past on a wind up?!

For what it's worth, Plymouth are very similar to Reading in that both clubs worked their way up to Championship level from lower divisions, then looked to progress by taking a brick by brick approach. Under Holloway this was coming to fruition for them, and only really stopped when they chose heart over head and re-appointed Sturrock.

Can see Coppell going there in the new year to be honest, struggling club so can blame the previous incumbent should they go down, far enough out the way to keep away from any unwanted attention but still a reasonable size club for this level who are fairly well run, they're almost tailor made for him.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2009 22:48

Deathy
Dirk Gently Tough shit, really - no-one likes abandoned matches including the clubs themselves.

Do they? Isn't it something like if the game is abandoned in the first half that the club would have to re-issue tickets for no cost, but after that it's just tough shit. They would make more then, surely? Or am I getting this all mixed up?

handbags_harris I believe Football League guidelines stipulate:
a) that if the match is abandoned before kick off then tickets are valid for the rearranged fixture.
b) that if the match is abandoned before or during the half time interval then admittance for the rearranged fixture should be at half the original fixture's cost
c) that if the match is abandoned after half time then admittance for the rearranged fixture should be at the same price as the original fixture.
Unless they've changed since our abandoned match against Burnley in Jan 07, that is what the guidelines are.

Well, yes, it depends when it's abandoned. They don't lose anything if it's abandoned after half time, but if it's abandoned at or before half-time then they have to re-stage it and all their costs (stewarding, policing, programme printing, staff costs, power, etc) have to be paid again but they'll only get 50% of income back in for them.

Their worst case is a late postponement - again all the costs in full but also all the catering and food (including corporate hospitality) is not sold and effectively wasted - and it all has to be re-done from scratch when the match is replayed.

The away team has travel and accommodation costs, also.