Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5707 posts
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 10 Feb 2010 09:02

Dirk Gently
SLAMMED Will 4 teams be promoted this season if Portsmouth go bust?

No-one knows -it's up to the leagues as they feel atthe time - their rules give them discretion to decide.

I'm imagine the most likley is that only 2 clubs would go down, as the PL like to look after their own.

There more chance of me winning the lotery than 4 clubs going down.

Someone will buy Pompey anyways.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Feb 2010 09:06

I'm playing 'The Liquidator'.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Feb 2010 09:29

Inland Revenue will push for winding up of Portsmouth FC.
Still, doubt it will happen, but fingers crossed.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 10 Feb 2010 10:36

readingbedding Inland Revenue will push for winding up of Portsmouth FC.
Still, doubt it will happen, but fingers crossed.

I think their last chance of hoping to agree a deal with the Inland revenue in classic "on the steps" stylee failed when they offered 30 quid and a toffee crisp wrapper.

So we all wait for the 11.30 kick off. Pure guesswork but I reckon we will see the first Prem club go in to administration in an effort to give themselves a stay of execution for another 28 days. I can't see the courts just allowing an adjournment without the promise of anything concrete happening or changing at the club.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 10 Feb 2010 10:50

David GiLOLLOL

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=119193&page=1

Wonder if United knew if it was still up, no doubt will be taken down soon though.

Q&A: David Gill's Perspective

Manchester United's Board today announced that it had terminated talks with the Glazer family over a proposed takeover offer.

A statement to the stock exchange said that the possible financial structure was not in the best interests of the long-term future of the club.

David Gill spoke exclusively to MUTV to explain the situation. Here is what the United chief executive had to say...

Can you explain the reason why the Board have terminated discussions with the Glazer family?
"I think it is down to this simple reason: We have been looking at the proposals the Glazer family made, analysing them with our advisors, and the key aspect of that proposal was the level of debt they were going to use in order to make their offer. We felt as a Board that that level of debt, coupled with their business plan, meant it was an unattractive proposal. We’ve seen many examples of debt in football over the years and the difficulties it causes. We know what that means and we think that is inappropriate for this business. We need to have a sensible structure for the Board to take the club forward."

At this moment in time, do you still expect any kind of bid from the Glazer family?
"That is up to them. They will clearly consider their options and review what they should do and no doubt come back to us. But, at the moment, we have terminated those discussions. One of the strengths of Manchester United has been its capital structure built up over many years since 1990 when we first floated on the stock market. We think that structure is appropriate for football business. It’s also important to note that we don’t have an issue with the Glazer family. It is about leverage (using debt to finance an offer)."

And you are just awaiting the Glazer family’s response?
"That is right. We put the announcement out this morning. We have a decent workingrelationship with them, but the ball is in their court so to speak."

The Glazer family still hold 28.11% of shares, do you expect them to stay at that figure, sell their shares or increase their holding?
"I couldn’t comment on that. That is their decision. We will work with them and Cubic and Shareholders United to build a structure going forward."

What about the support of United's fans in all this?
"We have very vocal fans and one of the key strengths of Manchester United are those fan groups. But they have to understand – and I think most of them do – that the Board has to consider any bona fide proposal for the company. We have done that and the fans have made their views clear. The Board has assessed the proposal with its advisors - having met with the Glazer family and their advisors - to see whether it was in the interests of the company. Some might say we have taken a bit of time about coming up with the response we put out on Monday morning, but we think we have done everything responsibly."

Have you been touched by the feeling of support from the fans?
"It certainly doesn’t surprise me. That is one of Manchester United’s strengths. I remember clearly back in 1998 when Sky made a bid for us. There was evidence of that in the views of the fans. It is certainly is one of our strengths."

What do you see as the next step, because all this cannot have been helpful to the club?
"It is disruptive, it would be silly not to recognise that. The statement we put out this morning was quite clear. In due course we would like to work with the Glazer family, Cubic Expression, Shareholders United and our other shareholders to work on a structure that we think will bring the club long-term stability. That must be our aim and is what the Board intends to do."

Hopefully we can start talking about Manchester United for football reasons again…
"That isright. As I say, we are a very well-known football club and there are benefits from that through our commercial deals, but you are absolutely right. As a distraction, this can’t be helpful and we want to move forward."

It’s a pertinent point that the football pitch reflects what happens in all of this…
"Very much so. Our capital structure, for example, meant that we could move quickly on transfer deadline day to acquire Wayne Rooney. Throughout the 1990s we have used the operating cash flow of the business (i.e. profits each year) to reinvest back in the business, whether that be the physical assets - the training ground or the stadium; or the playing side of it – acquiring players and player contracts. That model is probably envied throughout the football world and is appropriate for us going forward."

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 10 Feb 2010 11:05

Pompie fan on SKY Sports news in tears outside the high court

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 10 Feb 2010 11:16

weybridgewanderer Pompie fan on SKY Sports news in tears outside the high court

Is that pcunt with the bell there?

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 10 Feb 2010 11:18

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blue Hooped Moose
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Blue Hooped Moose » 10 Feb 2010 11:33

That Friday Feeling

Is that pcunt with the bell there?

I hear that scrap metal is fetching a good amount these days - he should do his "bit for the club" and sell the bell.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Feb 2010 11:35

Not wanting to jump the gun or nuffink there are rumours abound that Pompey are no more......

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 10 Feb 2010 11:38

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Feb 2010 11:38

Sources on the south coast said Portsmouth had offered to pay around £3.7m plus future television income to HMRC in order to avoid becoming the first Premier League club to enter administration.

The sources said the cash offer, which represented nearly half the club's outstanding £7.8m VAT bill, has been rejected.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Feb 2010 11:39

I think HMRC will be very hard-headed in this because this will be the best possible way of getting every other club to wake up and smell the coffee. Putting Portsmouth out of business will ultimately save / gain them many more millions.

Rather than being one of the last in the queue (with other non-pref creditors who no-one gives a fcuk about) they will suddenly gain a new-found fear / respect as the creditor who must be looked after.

Russell Street

by Russell Street » 10 Feb 2010 11:47

soggy biscuit Not wanting to jump the gun or nuffink there are rumours abound that Pompey are no more......

Listening to the local radio down here and there's no news of anything yet. They've just gone through why PFC are in court and what the outcome(s) could be and are now waiting to report back. Ooooh the excitement. What's the betting they will be given a last minute reprieve?

Meanwhile, this radio is terrible "...and now we're going to talk about buried treasure." :roll:

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 10 Feb 2010 11:49

soggy biscuit Not wanting to jump the gun or nuffink there are rumours abound that Pompey are no more......

don't talk dirty to me when I'm at work, please.

Russell Street

by Russell Street » 10 Feb 2010 11:52

leww_rfc Today Cardiff find out if they lose 10 points or not.

Southend are up for it too...

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Feb 2010 11:58

Adjourned until 14:00pm today

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 10 Feb 2010 12:03

readingbedding Adjourned until 14:00pm today

Last minute pleas etc, I expect.

Struggling to understand, personally, why a club backed by a billionaire can't provide a schedule for the repayment of their dues to HMRC (which is apparently the stumbling block re this morning's downpayment offer). Will be sad to see Pompey go under - can appreciate the humour in a fan getting all dribbly over his team re the above LOLZ, but if Reading FC were potentially minutes from being wound up I'd suggest a few on here would be equally devastated.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Feb 2010 12:06

But we're not, so for now it's all good.

Also, I really don't think they're backed by a billionaire, they're owned by a bloke who is owed a lot of money and appears to have taken ownership to ensure he is at the front of the queue of vultures when the ship goes down

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 10 Feb 2010 12:06

Cardiff and Southend both given another 28 days apparently.

5707 posts