Robert Green lacking confidence?

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Robert Green lacking confidence?

by NR_Royal » 13 Jun 2010 14:48

ROFLobert GROFLeen "You don't prepare for making a great save, you don't prepare mentally for having a perfect game, you prepare for making mistakes and it is bouncing back from those mistakes which is the important part."

This quote from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 737289.stm, pretty much sums up Robert Green. Lacking in confidence, doubting his ability.

This is why we need Hart in goal - he is the exact opposite, confident and assured. Agree?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Robert Green lacking confidence?

by Millsy » 13 Jun 2010 15:20

green should never have been keeper in the first place

he can p*ss off back to the wet sham

Urinal Mint

by Urinal Mint » 13 Jun 2010 15:30

2 world wars, 1 world cup green should never have been keeper in the first place

agree with this. he had poor season with west ham, especially compared to hart who had a very good season. plus hart has apparently been very impressive in training. or you go with experience and stick with james. i just don't get why green is ahead of those two.

blade 1

by blade 1 » 13 Jun 2010 16:17

Cappello has done a good job but some major errors in the selection.

Greens not had a great season (i've personnaly never rated him ) and shouldn't be anywhere near the squad.

SWP isn't even the best english right winger at man city (adam johnson should have been slected ahead of him and ashley young should have gone as well)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2010 16:24

I like the fact he's taken SWP, he's not reliable, but he'll never go missing like a lot of other wingers will. He has experience and he's one of very few players you know will really want it for England.

The major problems for me were starting Green and King. King shouldn't even be there. If you can't train and play regularly you have no place in the World Cup no matter how good you are.

Hart goes for the experience and James starts. That's the way it has to be.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Jun 2010 16:59

Ian Royal King shouldn't even be there. If you can't train and play regularly you have no place in the World Cup no matter how good you are.

But he has for the last 3 months for Spurs and was at the heart of the climax of the CL push. And he's the best English centre half around...so I hope he's stayed fit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2010 17:01

Well he hasn't trained has he. He can't. He can't even have a kick about in his garden with his kid. Within 45 minutes of starting and he's injured.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 13 Jun 2010 17:03

Ian Royal Well he hasn't trained has he. He can't. He can't even have a kick about in his garden with his kid. Within 45 minutes of starting and he's injured.

No training, no, apart from all of that with Spurs and England. :|

I've not seen any confirmation of injury last night, so I can't comment.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Jun 2010 20:06

Ian Royal Well he hasn't trained has he. He can't. He can't even have a kick about in his garden with his kid. Within 45 minutes of starting and he's injured.

God you talk some utter rubbish at times.

King has proven he can play the games and he'll be able to do enough of the work to understand his role in the back four and for the others to be comfortable with him. The options available just aren't in Kings class and ask any of the Ireland players if Paul McGrath should've been kicked out of their side as he couldn't trains?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Jun 2010 20:09

Urinal Mint ...or you go with experience and stick with james. i just don't get why green is ahead of those two.

Because James wasn't deemed fit enough apparently.

If he'd have convinced them that his knock wasn't effecting him then I'm sure James would've started.

zummerset

by zummerset » 13 Jun 2010 20:28

2 world wars, 1 world cup green should never have been keeper in the first place

^^

This :(

Fecking useless pcunt.. Joe Harts the form keeper not two of the worse goal records in the prem

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jun 2010 20:29

Hoop Blah

King has proven he can play the games and he'll be able to do enough of the work to understand his role in the back four and for the others to be comfortable with him. The options available just aren't in Kings class and ask any of the Ireland players if Paul McGrath should've been kicked out of their side as he couldn't trains?

working well isn't it.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Row Z Royal » 13 Jun 2010 20:32

Ian Royal
Hoop Blah

working well isn't it.

At least he hasn't had a problem with his knee.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Jun 2010 21:18

Well reasoned response Ian well done!

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 15 Jun 2010 02:34

Perhaps these gloves were telling us something.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Jun 2010 09:06

Six. Uhhmmm. Sorry Rob, No 6 is taken - that's Terry's shirt. Oh, perhaps you were referring to the number of goals Reading put past you a couple of years ago?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Jun 2010 10:19

IF that mistake happens to Joe Hart at age 22 or however old he is then see Scott Carson and international career in tatters after 1 game.

I don't think Green should be the goalkeeper but mistakes are a part of a goalkeepers life and I understand what he's saying in his interview. it's not a lack of confidence, it's an understanding of it could happen to you and how you deal with it. A bit like russian roulette! You know it's going to happen sometime you just pray it isn't you!

It was nerves and a lapse in concentration, he'd hardly had a touch of the ball and he's just got it horribly wrong. That's what seperates good keepers from excellent keepers to be honest, might not have anything to do for 80minutes of a game but are alert and reliable when called upon. As much as I like David James he has a similar issue with his concentration. If he's in the game all the time (he has been this year!) then he's brilliant, if not then he sometimes lets himself down here.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jun 2010 10:25

Spot on AP, although James' issues seem to have subsided a bit with age and he's much less error prone now (although he's possibly busier the last season or too as well so it's not as apparent).

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 15 Jun 2010 10:58

Can't remember when it was, but I read an interview with him where he said he turned 30 and realised he'd be remembered for the calamities and the wasted potential so decided to drop some of the sillier aspects of his life and concentrate more on football. He used to spend entire nights playing computer games. I think he's dropped the beer.

It might have been when he left Villa (2001), it might have been after the England 4-1 defeat at the hands of Denmark (around 2004, 2005).

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Jun 2010 11:25

Alan Partridge It was nerves and a lapse in concentration, he'd hardly had a touch of the ball and he's just got it horribly wrong. That's what seperates good keepers from excellent keepers to be honest, might not have anything to do for 80minutes of a game but are alert and reliable when called upon.

Don't think it was a concentration issue more of a body position issue. He didn't have his body fully behind the ball, and hadn't a couple of times earlier in the game either. If he'd been fully behind it and dropped it the ball would've hit his chest, bounced down and he'd have fallen on it.