Adidas Jabulani

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

Adidas Jabulani

by Compo's Hat » 14 Jun 2010 23:46

Have i missed what the hype was all about?

I haven't seen the ball swerve dramatically (i'm waiting to see what Ronaldo does with it first though) that much compared to other balls although the free kicks have hardly come close and the ball seems to hang in the air a bit more. If this is down to the altitude or players just not being very good i'll wait and see but i don't know what the keepers have been going on about.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Adidas Jabulani

by Barry the bird boggler » 15 Jun 2010 07:33

I think Rob Green has a different view on this.

havoc

by havoc » 15 Jun 2010 07:56

there's nothing wrong with the ball. people buying these same old excuses being trotted out are idiots.

If the ball was adversely affected by its weight/design or by the altitude that's something that should have been addressed by each individual team in their preparation.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 15 Jun 2010 08:30

Friend of mine has a theory that the reason the Germans did so well the other night is because it's a German ball :lol:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Jun 2010 09:17

It's not a German ball, it's an Adidas ball. The Bundesliga has a contract with Adidas to supply their balls, and they have been using them in the top division since December (likewise in some competitions in other European countries).

An advantage? Definitely. FIFA admit that the balls are different to use, and the national teams were all provided with them in advance of the tournament.

Just one of those things. Money talks, and the Premier League uses Nike balls iirc (and is England still Umbro?).

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Jun 2010 09:20

The two goalie howlers so far had nothing to do with the flight of the ball. It's just an easy excuse for players to use, as with the vuvuzelas. Get on with it FFS, it's the same for everyone.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jun 2010 10:13

I agree that it's generally a bit of an excuse, and they trot it out at every World Cup when they come out with the latest technologically improved ball.

Dirk suggested it was a Nike conspiracy on the other thread, but that's going a bit over the top! Balls do behave differently at times, but I think it's quite a bit of fuss over not a great deal.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 15 Jun 2010 12:50

Big Foot Friend of mine has a theory that the reason the Germans did so well the other night is because it's a German ball :lol:

Plus it was the Bundesliga ball since Februrary.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jun 2010 13:07

Pointless fact of the day:

adidas and Puma are both based in the same town - Herzogenaurach - one on either side of the river. The companies were set up by the Dassler brothers who ran their own company jointly prior to WWII. They fell out when Rudolf felt that Adolf turned him in to the Americans as part of the Waffen SS - they split the company, Rudolf set up Ruda (renamed Puma) and Adolf set up adidas - the town is pretty much split in two as a result.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Jun 2010 13:28

Their younger brother Bobi wasn't involved in sportswear

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jun 2010 13:36

Hoop Blah I agree that it's generally a bit of an excuse, and they trot it out at every World Cup when they come out with the latest technologically improved ball.

Dirk suggested it was a Nike conspiracy on the other thread, but that's going a bit over the top! Balls do behave differently at times, but I think it's quite a bit of fuss over not a great deal.

Don't think so - I certainly have heard it said that Nike have set out to rubbish this ball and so have spent a lot of efforts getting the rumours and the anti-Jabulani buzz spread.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Jun 2010 13:45

Nike probably trying to deflect attention away from the worst looking football boot ever made. How can a company that makes the best looking kits make boots so wrong.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 15 Jun 2010 16:30

Only have a replica of it, but I think it's an awesome ball to play with. Maybe not for keepers however.

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 15 Jun 2010 16:52

leww_rfc Only have a replica of it, but I think it's an awesome ball to play with. Maybe not for keepers however.

Then its not the real thing is it? The real ball costs up to £90.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 15 Jun 2010 17:08

Sorry then? :?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jun 2010 17:11

The replica won't play like the real thing, it's just got the same colourings on it!

Same with the other makes match balls. Play with the real ones that are £60-100 and you do notice the difference to the training balls for £10-30.

by 1960 » 15 Jun 2010 18:13

I think the issue with the ball is not the erratic flight sideways, but the impossibility to keep the bloddy thing down from distance. Ronaldo today was the first player to keep a long shot down - and he has special skills in this deparment. All the others have hoofed it and it's gone straight up in the air and way over the bar. It would have been interesting to see what Beckham would have done with it. By this stage we would usually have expected a few long distance screamers and, apart from Ronnie's hit post today, there hasn't been a single one. So, fewer goals, not more.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Jun 2010 18:25

1960 I think the issue with the ball is not the erratic flight sideways, but the impossibility to keep the bloddy thing down from distance. Ronaldo today was the first player to keep a long shot down - and he has special skills in this deparment. All the others have hoofed it and it's gone straight up in the air and way over the bar. It would have been interesting to see what Beckham would have done with it. By this stage we would usually have expected a few long distance screamers and, apart from Ronnie's hit post today, there hasn't been a single one. So, fewer goals, not more.

POI - Fella from Cameroon smacked one against the Japs crossbar from long range yesterday.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jun 2010 18:32

A few have hit the target from range but been straight at the keeper - Lampard included :shock: ... difficult to judge swerve? anticipating more movement than has actually happened?

It's the crosses and long diagonal balls that have been worst affected IMO. So many just sent flying over the box too deep and sometimes into touch. Crossfield balls played over the player on the side line's head into touch. Balls over the top off for goalkicks or straight to the keeper.

We've seen more kicks from keeper's go straight to his opposite number than I'd expect as well.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jun 2010 22:58

leww_rfc Only have a replica of it, but I think it's an awesome ball to play with. Maybe not for keepers however.

But the surface makes it easier for keepers to grip, though. So what they lose in one factor they gain in another.