Algeria v England [OFFICIAL THREAD]

319 posts
T.O.G.

Re: Algeria v England [OFFICIAL THREAD]

by T.O.G. » 18 Jun 2010 22:38

Big Ern Two words sum up England...Fooking Shambles.

or "Bassetts Allsorts"

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 18 Jun 2010 22:40

FiNeRaIn
TBM joe cole needs to start next game. he's probably our most skillful player and we've not used him once

WHY?

And he can actually play on the left wing ffs.

Being left footed myself I always have a greather interest in thew left wing and those tactcs just drive me mental. Gerrard was NOWHERE and although he wasn't the only player at fault, this had a huge impact on the game. Obviously there was no natural width from him, but it also stiffled Ashley Cole going forward and back, wide players play in pairs. He didn't need to be on the ball to make an impact, playing wide gives the team shape, pulls the oppo fullback out and generally creates space. Instead he constantly came inside taking the ball off Barry and taking him out of the game, all the worse as Barry was Englands best player tonight.

To be honest, even though i'd play Joe Cole I think he's far from ideal, he always comes inside and rarely goes outside and crosses with his left and so becomes predictable for his marker. An organsied and balanced team always trumps individuals - i'd have taken Adam Johnson and started him.

As for the rest of them, I think lethargic sums them up.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Jun 2010 22:43

FiNeRaIn
PEARCEY What amazed me was that the close control and close skills of the Algerian players was better than anything England's superstars could master. Shameful.

As has been said, we are one of the least technical countries around. You ever watched any english lads on holiday trying to play the spanish, italians,etc Our touches are shite and theirs are always better, we always lose on pens because we are less technical also.

We need to change our coaching mechanics from the grass roots upwards we are falling a long way behind future generations.

Yep. Agreed. It has to start at grass roots and with all the money in the game there really are no excuses.

Magnus

by Magnus » 18 Jun 2010 22:46

PEARCEY
FiNeRaIn
PEARCEY What amazed me was that the close control and close skills of the Algerian players was better than anything England's superstars could master. Shameful.

As has been said, we are one of the least technical countries around. You ever watched any english lads on holiday trying to play the spanish, italians,etc Our touches are shite and theirs are always better, we always lose on pens because we are less technical also.

We need to change our coaching mechanics from the grass roots upwards we are falling a long way behind future generations.

Yep. Agreed. It has to start at grass roots and with all the money in the game there really are no excuses.

Yeh unless we can win on the beaches on the med our national team stands no chance.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Jun 2010 22:49

Why is Capello being paid so much???

We have plenty of shyte home grown managers who can do just as badly for a fraction of the salary.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 18 Jun 2010 22:49

There is no excuse for not playing Joe Cole next game. Also, it is starting to look like taking SWP instead of Walcott was a mistake.

I have never seen such a dire performance from England in the last 25 years and they fully deserved to be booed off. The players should be ashamed of themselves. The only player who looked OK was David James...that says it all really.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Jun 2010 22:50

Paul Brayson>>>>Rooney and Lampard at any world cup.

Drop the pair of useless twats, presumably, they are aren't being paid enough to perform above championship level.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 18 Jun 2010 22:54

Schards#2 Paul Brayson>>>>Rooney and Lampard at any world cup.

I think it would be a little over the top to drop rRoney. There is no question he had his worst game ever in an England shirt tonight, but has and will play better for England.

As far as Lampard is concerned, then why he is still picked for England is beyond me. He has not been effective for England since Euro 2004.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Jun 2010 22:56

It is peculiar how genuine top players instantly turn shit as soon as they put the white shirt on. This hasn't happened with players in the past, your Charlton's, Lineker's, Robson's, Moore's etc. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard are in that class of player yet none come close to reproducing their club form over any length of time.

If you've got an average team and England have, then you have to get the best out of what good players are available. The first thoughts should be how can we get the best out of those 3. Playing Gerrard on the left and Rooney as a 2nd forward is simply not the way of doing that. So the manager has to take his share of the blame. There is little consistency in the selections and things are constantly changing, it doesn't bring any consistency in the play.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Jun 2010 22:58

Magnus Yeh unless we can win on the beaches on the med our national team stands no chance.

Surely you know what I mean though? The point im making is that its from grass roots right up the scale. We've always been the big " hearts on the sleeve passion filled England", but even thats gone now to make up for a lack of first touches and movement. Mexico gave us a taster in the warm up games and someone we how fluked a win, algeria at times looked like they had better technical players tonight..its frightening.

Start training kids on technical abilities not physique. Xavi, fabregas and inesta are testaments you don't need brick shit houses in midfield ffs.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 18 Jun 2010 22:59

When has SWP ever been the right option. Struggles to make the Man City team, just so far away from being an international class player.

J. Cole on the left, A. Johnson on the right working in tandem with their respective full-backs, switching sides as and when, Rooney and Gerrard playing as a fluid front two, Lampard and Barry in the middle. Would have been far, far better than the shite of those first two games. Such a pity Hargreaves wasn't fit to add some real dynamism and tenacity to the midfield, I'm sure Lampard needs that sort of player to thrive.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Jun 2010 23:03

Alan Partridge It is peculiar how genuine top players instantly turn shit as soon as they put the white shirt on. This hasn't happened with players in the past, your Charlton's, Lineker's, Robson's, Moore's etc. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard are in that class of player yet none come close to reproducing their club form over any length of time.

If you've got an average team and England have, then you have to get the best out of what good players are available. The first thoughts should be how can we get the best out of those 3. Playing Gerrard on the left and Rooney as a 2nd forward is simply not the way of doing that. So the manager has to take his share of the blame. There is little consistency in the selections and things are constantly changing, it doesn't bring any consistency in the play.

Perhaps Lampard benefits in playing for such a strong club side which makes him look better than he really is. He was shocking at the last World Cup and has been just as bad at this one. He really isn't as good as the media hype suggests IMO. I also wouldn't put him alongside the likes of Moore and Charlton. Not even close.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Jun 2010 23:05

PEARCEY
Alan Partridge It is peculiar how genuine top players instantly turn shit as soon as they put the white shirt on. This hasn't happened with players in the past, your Charlton's, Lineker's, Robson's, Moore's etc. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard are in that class of player yet none come close to reproducing their club form over any length of time.

Perhaps Lampard benefits in playing for such a strong club side which makes him look better than he really is. He was shocking at the last World Cup and has been just as bad at this one. He really isn't as good as the media hype suggests IMO. I also wouldn't put him alongside the likes of Moore and Charlton. Not even close.

Lampard every season gets 20+ goals from midfield. He is clearly a high quality player.

Yet for England...Deary me.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 18 Jun 2010 23:12

Whore Jackie When has SWP ever been the right option. Struggles to make the Man City team, just so far away from being an international class player.

J. Cole on the left, A. Johnson on the right working in tandem with their respective full-backs, switching sides as and when, Rooney and Gerrard playing as a fluid front two, Lampard and Barry in the middle. Would have been far, far better than the shite of those first two games. Such a pity Hargreaves wasn't fit to add some real dynamism and tenacity to the midfield, I'm sure Lampard needs that sort of player to thrive.

Well said.

Magnus

by Magnus » 18 Jun 2010 23:14

Lol @ reports of an England fan making into the dressing room to mouth off. Fair play to him.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Jun 2010 23:25

Magnus Lol @ reports of an England fan making into the dressing room to mouth off. Fair play to him.

LMAO really?

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 18 Jun 2010 23:26

Magnus Lol @ reports of an England fan making into the dressing room to mouth off. Fair play to him.

ssn just says a fan no mention of it being an England fan

Anyone also see ssn imediately after game, ssn reporter at the fan park in cape town interviewing young ladies abut the game when some long pony tail haired matey says "well the players have to ...... learn how..." immediate apology from the reporter, class telly!!

hellopremiership

by hellopremiership » 18 Jun 2010 23:40

WNG

Wokingham via Waterloo

by Wokingham via Waterloo » 18 Jun 2010 23:51

Agree with earlier posts. I haven't been excited about England or cared since '98, but somehow I am still angry now. Point already made, but the sheer arrogance of Gerrard saying that was their cup final. Who the f*ck do they think they are? Everything that makes me hate football.

Nearly as bad as Shearer in the townships last night saying atoo enthusiastic and wildly inappropriate "great" when the girl who was talking about her late brother said they were standing by a bench in his memory.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 18 Jun 2010 23:54

Wokingham via Waterloo
Nearly as bad as Shearer in the townships last night saying atoo enthusiastic and wildly inappropriate "great" when the girl who was talking about her late brother said they were standing by a bench in his memory.

I didn't see this, but I wouldn't know how to react personally and shearer doesn't really come across as an emotional guy.

319 posts