Could foreigners play for England

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Could foreigners play for England

by 1960 » 28 Jun 2010 18:42

OK, they beat us soundly, but they also conveniently changed their laws to allow non-nationals to play for them, eg

So, when you think of the following players who were born in Germany, appreciate that by law 11 years ago, some of them would not have been able and be allowed to play for the German team: Dennis Aogo (German mum, Nigerian dad), Serdar Taşçı (Turkish parents), Jérôme Boateng (German mum, Ghanaian dad), Sami Khedira (German mum, Tunsian dad), Mesut Özil (Turkish parents), Mario Gómez (German mum, Spanish dad).

Then there are those team members not born in Germany, but having parents who immigrated to Germany when they were relatively young: Piotr Trochowski (born in Tczew, Poland), Marko Marin (Bosanska Gradiška, Bosnia and Herzegovina), Lukas Podolski (Gliwice, Poland), Miroslav Klose (Kęzierzyn Koźle, Poland), and "Cacau", Claudemir Jeronimo Barretto (Santo André, Brazil).

I seem to recall that Cuducini and Almunia both said they were willing to play for England on a residency basis (rather like Eduardo for Croatia) and they wouldn't have been any worse than our current bunch. But I can't think of any others who could do a job. Is this just a stupid idea? And what are the residency rules any way?

readingfc13

Re: Could foreigners play for England

by readingfc13 » 28 Jun 2010 18:51

Don't they have to qualify for citizenship which is something like 5 years living in this country?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 28 Jun 2010 19:02

I thought it had been the case for a long time here that you could play for England if you or your parents were born here, is that not the case? In that sense, whilst German laws may have been different, there's not much 'convenient' about the change if they just came in line with the rest of us. Having an issue with Mezut Ozil playing for Germany for example, when he was born in Germany, is a little ridiculous (I assume the italics is from an article and not your own).

And as above, I think it's five years living here for residency.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 28 Jun 2010 19:12

1960 OK, they beat us soundly, but they also conveniently changed their laws to allow non-nationals to play for them, eg

So, when you think of the following players who were born in Germany, appreciate that by law 11 years ago, some of them would not have been able and be allowed to play for the German team: Dennis Aogo (German mum, Nigerian dad), Serdar Taşçı (Turkish parents), Jérôme Boateng (German mum, Ghanaian dad), Sami Khedira (German mum, Tunsian dad), Mesut Özil (Turkish parents), Mario Gómez (German mum, Spanish dad).

Then there are those team members not born in Germany, but having parents who immigrated to Germany when they were relatively young: Piotr Trochowski (born in Tczew, Poland), Marko Marin (Bosanska Gradiška, Bosnia and Herzegovina), Lukas Podolski (Gliwice, Poland), Miroslav Klose (Kęzierzyn Koźle, Poland), and "Cacau", Claudemir Jeronimo Barretto (Santo André, Brazil).

So basically they've decided to use the same rules we've been using for the past 30 years then? (except that ours are even more lax - unless you think, for example, John Barnes' birthplace of Kingston means he was born in Hull)

What godforsaken rock did you dig that bit of slime from underneath of, as you sure as hell didn't think of it yourself.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 28 Jun 2010 19:15

If I was an international footballer, I'd play for England. Neither of my parents were born in this country, but I was born in the beautiful town of Reading. Shirley this is the case for most of those German players?

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 28 Jun 2010 19:15

If I was an international footballer, I'd play for England. Neither of my parents were born in this country, but I was born in the beautiful town of Reading. Shirley this is the case for most of those German players?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jun 2010 19:24

bitter bitter bitter.

Tad Showbiz

by Tad Showbiz » 28 Jun 2010 20:20

Republic of Ireland managed it for many years, didn't someone at fifa work out that one of their strikers...Tony Cascarino(?) should never have played for them?

I think fifa really tightened the rules on eligibility but having at least one parent from the nation you choose to play for usually allows you to play for that country. The Boatang brothers for example play for different countries.

I don't think I'd want an Almunia or Cudicini playing for us just because they've lived here for a few years.

The residency thing is probably some European law to allow movement between its member states.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 28 Jun 2010 20:24

Does Kerplunk Jnr's Scottish granny still qualify him to play for Scotland. Its just that he's shown absolutely not sporting talent whatsoever but at least that way he's still got a chance. Actually may have to double check where she was born as it may have been Thailand as thats where her dad was working at the time.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1