Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rooney slump

by Rex » 22 Oct 2010 18:45

Framed even. :|

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 22 Oct 2010 19:14

Ideal I wonder how good a player Rooney would be today if he had the same attitude towards life as Ole Gunnar Solskjær or Jan Åge Fjørtoft.
Smoking, drinking and shagging prostitutes and having it discussed in the media, is bound to to damage to your self esteem, as well as your physical fitness (the smoking and drinking..).

Maradona, Socrates (cigs), Garrincha, Bestie... didn't do so bad :wink:

I would agree that the quality of the ladies Rooney is banging could hurt his self esteem, if he knew what it was.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Oct 2010 19:21

papereyes
Royal Rother Every week football at the highest level gets a little less appealing.

Mind you, with Windsor & Eton struggling to come through financial crisis there's not a lot to enthuse about the integrity at any level of the game.

And as the economic woes are set to continue for a number of years I'm curious as to whether supporters will rebel against the seemingly never ending supply of dosh being handed to the top "stars" or will it just be seen as a bit of fantasy that is outside of the real world? Maybe the fans will find the money no matter what just to maintain that escapism.

I don't think there's going to be the apocalypse that you've been predicting.
and the economy is in great shape and the Premier League will forever be dominated by "the Big Four"? :wink:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 23 Oct 2010 06:52

England produce one world class player a generation.

It was Gascoigne previously. Now it is Rooney - but his World up suggests otherwise

Depressing really.

Is Wilshere the next Gazza? He could carve open anything. Amazing player

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 23 Oct 2010 10:39

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Oct 2010 10:48

Speculation that this could of been a set up by SAF to get the Glasiers to give him a transfer kitty. Rooney and his agent get the better deal they wanted, so everyone's happy except for some fickle fans who'll come around as soon as he starts scoring (goals) again.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Oct 2010 11:12

I love a good conspiracy theory.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Oct 2010 13:37

PieEater Speculation that this could of been a set up by SAF to get the Glasiers to give him a transfer kitty. Rooney and his agent get the better deal they wanted, so everyone's happy except for some fickle fans who'll come around as soon as he starts scoring (goals) again.

It's just as likely that this is a way of takling the heat OFF the Glazers (note the spelling, please) by showing the fans that they are serious about remaining as contenders, having talked Rooney into believing they will be challenging again.

None of them come out of it with any real credit - particularly if Rooney now sees out his £65m contract with no silverware. That'll prove he's stayed for the medals ...... oh !!

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 24 Oct 2010 08:29

Well lets just say that if Rooney had gone - the lack of ambition would certainly have stirred up the hornets nest. Rooney goes - confirming the rumour of lack of ambition. Rooney stays - lines his nest further and shows the loyalty :lol: and desire from him and the club.

A clever strategy from his agent.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 24 Oct 2010 12:17

Just wonder what the atmosphere in the dressing room will be - Rooney has effectively said that many of those in the team aren't fit to lace his boots.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 24 Oct 2010 19:48

Ideal I wonder how good a player Rooney would be today if he had the same attitude towards life as Ole Gunnar Solskjær or Jan Åge Fjørtoft.
Smoking, drinking and shagging prostitutes and having it discussed in the media, is bound to to damage to your self esteem, as well as your physical fitness (the smoking and drinking..).

Smoking and drinking hasn't hampered Berbatov.

The whole year inn England produce one world class player a generation.

It was Gascoigne previously. Now it is Rooney

Rooney isn't world class, he's Premiership class. He's done absolutely nothing on the international stage to prove otherwise.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 25 Oct 2010 09:26

Rooney demonstrates his committment to the team by staying at home travelling to the match with his teammates and watching from the sidelines rather than splashing the cash

Oh...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Oct 2010 10:03

The whole year inn Rooney isn't world class, he's Premiership class. He's done absolutely nothing on the international stage to prove otherwise.

That's a bit wide of the mark. Npt only is the Premiership at least the equal of most International football but he's also proven himself in the Champions League which is the next level up.

He has performed on the international stage as well, his injuries being key turning points for England previously. They were turning points because he'd proved himself to be good enough to win games at International level.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Oct 2010 10:34

Imo there are five world class players: Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Ronaldo and (a free from injury) Kaka. Rooney is in the next tier along with the likes of Higuain, Ramos and .that has potential to be in that bracket. Along with the likes of Higuain, Ramos and Fabregas.

The problem for the Premier League and their "product" is that all but two of those players play for the big two in Spain and sooner or later Fabregas will join them.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 25 Oct 2010 12:26

sandman Imo there are five world class players: Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Ronaldo and (a free from injury) Kaka. Rooney is in the next tier along with the likes of Higuain, Ramos and .that has potential to be in that bracket. Along with the likes of Higuain, Ramos and Fabregas.

The problem for the Premier League and their "product" is that all but two of those players play for the big two in Spain and sooner or later Fabregas will join them.

Seem to go through this argument about 'world class' on here every 12 months or so. My definition would be whether the player in question would make it into a World XI. Therefore, reluctantly in the first example, Ashley Cole would be considered a world class left back, Ronaldo a world class winger/forward, David Villa a world class striker, and so on.

Rooney is probably just off being in a World XI at the moment, but would have been 8 months ago when he couldn't stop scoring

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Oct 2010 12:43

Ginger Ninjas
sandman Imo there are five world class players: Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Ronaldo and (a free from injury) Kaka. Rooney is in the next tier along with the likes of Higuain, Ramos and .that has potential to be in that bracket. Along with the likes of Higuain, Ramos and Fabregas.

Seem to go through this argument about 'world class' on here every 12 months or so. My definition would be whether the player in question would make it into a World XI. Therefore, reluctantly in the first example, Ashley Cole would be considered a world class left back, Ronaldo a world class winger/forward, David Villa a world class striker, and so on.

Rooney is probably just off being in a World XI at the moment, but would have been 8 months ago when he couldn't stop scoring

I can think of 5 strikers ahead of Rooney - David Villa, Didier Drogba, Higuain, Carlos Tevez, Luis Fabiano

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 25 Oct 2010 12:51

Diego Forlan

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Oct 2010 13:05

The scientists say that after going on a drinking binge you take two to three months regain your maximum level of o2 capacity if you are a professional athlete in an endurance sport.

The main one with alcohol I thought was in recovery times. Your body takes longer to repair the little injuries and then playing or training on the twinges makes them worse in turn.

But would not be surprised - I find a good half minute plus added to my 5k time if I'm doing it with a hangover

SWA

by SWA » 25 Oct 2010 13:21

Ashley COle - world Best 11!!!!!!!!!
hahahhaa

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Oct 2010 13:52

I see World Class as being one of the best half dozen or so players of your type in the world. It's all pretty subjective anyway.

The problem we have over here, and I'm sure elsewhere is the same too, is that if anyone has a couple of good games they get called World Class.

Back to Rooney though, what's the general consensus in the media on how much last weeks little show earned him in a pay rise? I've heard reports that he's now on anything from 160-200k+ a week.

138 posts