Convey Stars in MLS Playoffs (NY 1 San Jose 3)

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
southsideroyal

Convey Stars in MLS Playoffs (NY 1 San Jose 3)

by southsideroyal » 05 Nov 2010 16:40

After an anonymous first season in MLS with San Jose, Convey looks to be back in form and over his injury problems.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/videos?catid=1822&id=10267

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Convey Stars in MLS Playoffs (NY 1 San Jose 3)

by RoyalChicagoFC » 06 Nov 2010 10:58

^Spacey bait @ 6:37

Click on the KEY MOMENTS (GOALS+) tab to select just the goals on a menu @ right

Bobby was immense --pounced on the loose ball to lash home the first and level aggregate scores early on, turned a rookie out of his sox for the second and floated in a perfect ball for the matchwinner a few minutes later

Good thing too for his side too --NY controlled play throughout but just couldn't finish their chances save for the one, and Convey was the difference

JP Dellacamera is no better at match commentary than he was when I first encountered him and if anything has gotten worse

John Harkes is just a tongue-twisted babbling dope --I actually felt sorry for Ian Darke having to work alongside him during the Algeria match over the summer, and that's saying something

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 06 Nov 2010 11:26

Anonymous season? Every time I've checked up in him I've heard people singing his praises this season.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 Nov 2010 13:19

pea Anonymous season? Every time I've checked up in him I've heard people singing his praises this season.

this is his second season though.

He does look back to his best. The rumours were when he left that it was touch and go whether he'd ever get fit again.

MLS looks a decent league overall though. It always makes me cringe when I here people talk about it being "conference standard" in empty stadiums.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Nov 2010 18:14

I see Henry still can't head a ball. And a massive :lol: at the tard with the red face, nose ring and horns!

East End Lady

by East End Lady » 10 Nov 2010 16:57

He's just won comeback player of the MLS Season

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 10 Nov 2010 17:03

East End Lady He's just won comeback player of the MLS Season

"Comeback player of the season" :|

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 10 Nov 2010 21:31

Big Foot
East End Lady He's just won comeback player of the MLS Season

"Comeback player of the season" :|

in a supporting role?

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 13 Nov 2010 00:01

November 5 2010 Last updated at 01:32 PM ET
Making Peace with Bobby Convey: From Petulant Teen to MLS Playoff Hero.By Brian Straus
Senior Soccer Writer

New MLS Cup playoff hero Bobby Convey has been my least favorite player for a long time.

The reasons are somewhat complicated and probably won't resonate much with others, but they stem from my five years as a young reporter at The Washington Post, where I was offered the occasional opportunity to fill in for the great Steven Goff on D.C. United coverage.

Convey was drafted by D.C. in 2000 at age 16 and was pegged as a future superstar. He started 18 games his first season, and over the next four years I constantly heard about what a dynamic talent he was, and how he played the game at a level superior to other Americans.

That clashed with what I saw on the field. I remember Convey waiving his arms in the air on the left flank, petulantly demanding the ball. I remember him putting his head down and dribbling straight into defenders, and I remember him flubbing chance after golden scoring chance.

On one occasion, he slipped a shot past a charging goalkeeper and immediately wheeled toward the corner flag to celebrate. He was halfway there when the shot rolled wide.

In his five seasons in D.C., Convey managed eight goals and 16 assists. It was paltry production for an offensive player with his notoriety. And yet, he continued to be supported by people who knew a lot more about soccer than I did. Bruce Arena named him to the 2006 World Cup team. Tottenham Hotspur wanted to sign him. Reading FC did.

I just didn't get it, and it was frustrating.

My issues with the on-the-field Convey were superceded by the difficulty dealing with the off-the-field Convey. He was an almost impossible interview: curt, sullen and evasive.

Some might argue it was an issue of youth. Perhaps. D.C.'s other teenagers, Freddy Adu and Santino Quaranta, certainly didn't have problems talking, and since my bread-and-butter at The Post in those days was covering college and high school soccer (and Mia Hamm), I was used to talking to teenagers.

Follow Brian Straus on Twitter Follow FH Soccer on Twitter
On June 29, 2002, Convey enjoyed (maybe) his biggest moment as a United player. The Los Angeles Galaxy were in town, nearly 19,000 fans were in the stands, and I had the honor of covering the game for The Post. As the old MLS overtime period neared its conclusion, Convey rose "like a young salmon out of a babbling brook," according to United coach Ray Hudson, and headed home the golden goal.

The play won a big game and ended a season of scoreless frustration. Convey should have been basking in the afterglow. Or at least be a little excited.

Instead, he dressed quickly and raced from the locker room. I had to chase him down in the RFK Stadium tunnel leading to the players' parking lot. He stopped, sighed and gave me a few canned, monotone quotes before heading out.

Convey played at the World Cup and enjoyed some highs and lows with Reading (and suffered significant knee trouble), before returning to MLS last year. It must have been a humbling transition -- going from the Premier League to Buck Shaw Stadium. But, he's very much an adult now, in his late 20s and married.

This season, we finally saw consistent contributions from Convey. Hard-working and comfortable in midfield or in back, he was a staple for the Earthquakes as they finished with a winning record for the first time since re-entering the league. He would appear in the MLS playoffs for just the second time in his career.

His first game against New York, a 1-0 loss, wasn't good. I was ready to write him off again.

His second game was the stuff of legend. In a dominant performance that sent the highly-favored Red Bulls packing, Convey scored two fantastic goals -- 20% of his career MLS total heading into the game -- and set up Chris Wondolowski's series-winner with a perfect, floating long ball. His play at both left midfield and left back, following the injury to Ramiro Corrales, was stellar. He erased New York winger Dane Richards.

It was the match of his life. Years of frustration and unfulfilled potential, plus a knee injury that he said nearly forced his retirement.

I was hoping for ebullience afterward. For joy. Or at least a smile. Convey didn't offer either of those things. But he didn't try to flee Red Bull Arena either.

He answered questions from the press.

"It took me three years to get back from my original knee surgery (in late 2006). This is the ending of it right here. It's been great to win a game for our team in the playoffs," he told reporters.

"I was really close to just retiring ... It just wasn't happening. I was fortunate that MLS and San Jose brought me back and I knew I had a lot of soccer left if I could just get healthy. This is the end product of it."

He said these things with a straight face. Not a shred of emotion could be heard in his voice. But he did recognize the gravity of the moment. He did speak with what must have been a sense of relief and satisfaction. He acted like an adult.

I've made peace with who Convey is. He's not a dominating playmaking force. He never was, and the people who promised he would be were wrong. That isn't Convey's fault. I'll stop blaming him for that.

And he's just not an emotional person, at least outwardly. He's dull and he's a lousy interview. You'd never talk to him after a game unless he had a night like Thursday. But, he gets a pass on that now as well. That's just who he is. It's his wiring. Lots of athletes have have nothing to say.

Convey now is a man who at least is willing to give a conversation a shot. More importantly, he's a player who clearly is eager to work for his team rather than play as if the entire game revolves around him. He'll do the dirty work. He'll pass the ball. He'll take his chances. The boy I couldn't stand has grown up.

Time to find a new least-favorite player.

http://soccer.fanhouse.com/2010/11/05/m ... ls-playof/

superreadingfan

by superreadingfan » 13 Nov 2010 17:54

the man who wrote that seems to have a high level of self importance that all athletes must be willing to do interviews, lol. Convey didn't shy away here maybe he just didn't like the twat.

glosson

by glosson » 19 Nov 2010 19:03

Didn't he OFTEN visit children in hospital during his time at Reading? I agree with the earlier post that this author is a self-important douche bag who feels he's owed animated interviews from players he's already publicly voiced dislike for. I'm sure Bobby is ABSOLUTELY RELIEVED to be off of this person's least favorite players list.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 19 Nov 2010 20:54

No mention of him getting in trouble for stalking that girl at Reading Uni then

glosson

by glosson » 19 Nov 2010 20:56

Who hasn't stalked a university girl now and again? :shock: Honestly, I hadn't heard about that.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 19 Nov 2010 21:41

^^^^^ Yeah, comes off as a real w@nkpiece

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Nov 2010 04:15

soggy biscuit No mention of him getting in trouble for stalking that girl at Reading Uni then

Didn't hear anything about this?

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1