The Gylfi thread.

2243 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: SPECULATION - Gylfi on sale for £6m

by Royal Lady » 28 May 2012 09:05

I can't see Gylfi signing with Swansea unless he's certain that Rodgers is staying and not going to Liverpool, personally.

And £7 million on Gylfi, although a huge amount of money for "little old Reading" plus a couple of million on a few back up players - one midfield, one centre half - could make all the difference to where we are this time next year. Either RFC have ambition or they don't. I don't want to hear about our "ambition" and then find we've signed a couple of players who "might do well in the future". We KNOW Gylfi would be good for us and I actually believe that having Gyfi back would see a complete change in Church too. Therefore, personally, I think it's worth the risk - if we went down at the end of the season, we know someone else will come in for him and we'll get our money back - if we stay up - we can build on from there. But what do I know eh.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 May 2012 09:11

winchester_royal Nonsense, Swansea did very well 1st half of the season without him. He certainly helped them, but 'kept them up single handedly'? No.

Hmm,

Without the sig they were languisuing around the bottom five positions. They were doing "OK" for a team promoted in the playoff final.

Personally I think without him they would be 9 points worse off - this would have meant they would have needed to beat Liverpool on the last day of the season to survive.

To my mind it was nothing short of miraculous.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 May 2012 09:13

RobRoyal
Avon Royal
winchester_royal
I agree that Sigurdsson's value will only go up, and he would be a good investment, but right now we need to be spending our money on making sure we stay up, as that is crucial to our long term strategy.

I can't think of many better ways to spend £7m than on a player that single-handedly kept Swansea up last season.

They were 11th when he had his debut, and they finished the season 11th :|

:lol:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 May 2012 09:28

Royal With Cheese
winchester_royal Nonsense, Swansea did very well 1st half of the season without him. He certainly helped them, but 'kept them up single handedly'? No.

Hmm,

Without the sig they were languisuing around the bottom five positions. They were doing "OK" for a team promoted in the playoff final.

Personally I think without him they would be 9 points worse off - this would have meant they would have needed to beat Liverpool on the last day of the season to survive.

To my mind it was nothing short of miraculous.

As RobRoyal pointed out, they were 11th when he made his debut.

He helped, he's a quality player of course he did, but I'm not sure he's the messiah-reborn that some make him out to be. He's not Messi, he wouldn't keep us up on his own.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 May 2012 09:35

But it's all about the teams they beat during that run. I'm not sure how anyone could argue that Sig didn't significantly contribute during this time. But hey ho - If everyone agreed it would be a dull place.

I do think that Sig would be more important as a signing to Swansea than to ourselves.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 28 May 2012 09:41

Now you're just twisting my words. :lol:

Never said he didn't contribute, of course he did, but Swansea were much more than a one man time last season. To play the kind of football they do then they have to be. Sigurdsson added quality to what was already a strong base. They were 11th when he signed, and 11th at the end of the season. I'm not sure how anyone can claim therefore that he kept them up 'single handedly'.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 28 May 2012 09:51

Single handedly is a bit strong but without him I genuinely believe Swansea would have been relegated.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 28 May 2012 09:54

You may be right, I guess we'll never know.

I agree with your second point though, he's more important to Swansea than he would be to us right now.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 28 May 2012 10:02

Glad hes in the Prem as he deserves to be there. Gutted its with Swansea, but then again theyve just completely blown their budget on him, If he gets injured theres no one in that Swansea squad to fill his boots.

Great to see Gylfi playing in the mad stad next season though!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 May 2012 10:07

This is not over yet. If Rodgers is going to talk to Liverpool this week then the Sig will most likely want to bide his time before signing so he knows what's going on.

Still would like a statement from Reading about why there is seemingly no interest.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 28 May 2012 10:12

Yeah we can live in hope.. £12m take that Swansea.

*I wish

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 May 2012 10:32

Barry the bird boggler This is not over yet. If Rodgers is going to talk to Liverpool this week then the Sig will most likely want to bide his time before signing so he knows what's going on.

Still would like a statement from Reading about why there is seemingly no interest.

Do you want a long list statement explaining why we are not interested in all the other 'available' players this window too?

If we are interested in signing him then the discussions will be ongoing. If not then that means that the management view is that he is not what we need right now. Given the ongoing links between his father and the club I suspect that both Gyllfi and his agent would know if we were in this game.

What I don't expect is that the club will say anything unless they do actually sign him. It is the Reading way - and a good one too.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 May 2012 10:32

at least we will get some money out of this which is good!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 May 2012 10:38

Just going back to RR's point on ambition.

I'd see signing a player, or at least attempting to sign, who is clearly better than those we've got and who would improve our squad as showing ambition.

I'd be amazed if McDermott didn't think bringing Sigurdsson back would improve his squad or improve our chances of winning games and staying up and so I can't believe we've not registered an interest somewhere along the way (that might just be sounding out our contacts to see if he'd be open to coming back).

If we haven't, then I'd question our ambition to sign the best players we can attract and afford.

On the affordability aspect, I see no reason why we can't match Swansea's offers for both fee or wages. We're in a very healthy state financially and the £35k being mooted for wages at Swansea won't be far off the figures we're already offering our better players and potential targets.

I still expect him to go somewhere bigger and better than us or Swansea though.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 May 2012 10:40

loyalroyal4life at least we will get some money out of this which is good!

Well, that all depends on the sell on clause. If it is based on a % of profit then we get nothing.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 28 May 2012 10:41

If Rodgers takes the Liverpool job (which he is now favourite for) then i can see them making a late bid for the player. Im sure Rodgers has told Gylfi this

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 28 May 2012 10:54

Hoop Blah I'd be amazed if McDermott didn't think bringing Sigurdsson back would improve his squad or improve our chances of winning games and staying up and so I can't believe we've not registered an interest somewhere along the way (that might just be sounding out our contacts to see if he'd be open to coming back).

If we haven't, then I'd question our ambition to sign the best players we can attract and afford.

On the affordability aspect, I see no reason why we can't match Swansea's offers for both fee or wages. We're in a very healthy state financially and the £35k being mooted for wages at Swansea won't be far off the figures we're already offering our better players and potential targets.

I'm sure we have registered an interest, but when Hoffenheim said >6m, McDermott will have known that he has a number of other areas in the squad that he needs to improve, and hence can't justify spending so much of his budget on one player.

Ambition is about looking to improve the club/squad as a whole and moving up the league, not about bringing in big name players.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 May 2012 10:59

LOLLY - Gylfi isn't a "big name player". I suspect we over inflated his price when Hoffenheim came sniffing around for him, in any case.

Agree that he'll go to Liverpool if Rodgers goes there though.

And still think he'd be a great investment for us, even at £7 million.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 28 May 2012 11:01

Transfer Market Feed ‏@Signings_TDD

Swansea agree £6.8 million fee for Hoffenheim midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson. #twitterswans

apologies if this has already been posted but it looks like case closed

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 28 May 2012 11:08

Agreeing a fee does NOT mean signed player. Just that if the deal was to go ahead, the money has been sorted. Still got medicals, personal terms, and the desire to actually join the club to overcome - at least one of which could, if based on the fact that Swansea is full of oxfr*rdtards, all be fairly major obstacles.....

2243 posts