The Gylfi thread.

2243 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: SPECULATION - Gylfi on sale for £6m

by ZacNaloen » 29 May 2012 15:49

Agreed with RR on whether the club have ambition.

RE: Rodgers leaving Swansea, it is not out of character for him to jump ship like that and Signing_TDD on twitter (usually gets it right) "understands" Rodgers is going to talk to Huw Jenkins. Doesn't mean he's deffo leaving but could be enough to stall this transfer.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 May 2012 15:52

I think it is way way too early for Rodgers to be taking on a club like Liverpool.

I fear for him if he goes there. But I'll chuckle at the club if it proves beyond him as I suspect it will.

I know it's money / fame / ambition / setting up for life etc. but what's the bleedin' hurry?

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 29 May 2012 15:53

Royal Rother I think it is way way too early for Rodgers to be taking on a club like Liverpool.

I fear for him if he goes there. But I'll chuckle at the club if it proves beyond him as I suspect it will.

I know it's money / fame / ambition / setting up for life etc. but what's the bleedin' hurry?

Ego.
Big book of Tactics.
Big watch.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 May 2012 15:55

Royal Rother I think it is way way too early for Rodgers to be taking on a club like Liverpool.

Because Rodgers will never get an opportunity like it again as he actually isn't very good?

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 29 May 2012 16:00

I'm sure stranger things have happened but do people really think we're still going to try and get Sigurdsson? Just because TSI is now 'officially' done i don't think it will affect any negotiations or pending negotiations. They've known this would have been done soon and i'm sure Anton and his gang of merry men knew exactly what the PL wanted and a rough date of when it would be completed but with SJM publicly coming out and being wrong with his information they've kept their cards close to their chest.

McDermott is good enough pals with Gylfi and Sigurdsson Snr to tell them to just wait a few days before he agrees terms with Swansea to see if Reading can offer anything and i'm under no doubts that Gylfi would have done that if he knew RFC were in. Unfortunately i dont think we are in at all, hence his agreement to sign for Swansea.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 May 2012 16:09

Alan Partridge

Because Rodgers will never get an opportunity like it again as he actually isn't very good?

I think he has shown plenty enough to indicate that he is actually a good manager.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 May 2012 16:10

You are worth what somebody pays for you.

Don't be guided by Reading's current transfer record of 2m on sh/t nobody Fae.

A decent striker is going to cost 3-4m+ at least. A decent striker that many clubs are after is going to cost even more.

If he scores you goals, 6m, 7m, 8m, 9m, 10m is bugger all.

Takes confidence in the club to stick that sort of cash on the table and whatever anyone says, it does show ambition - they want to go someplace and are willing to stump up the cash to do it. So well done to Swansea and Southampton for putting up the cash and more importantly getting their man.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 29 May 2012 16:13

Royal Rother
Alan Partridge

I think he has shown plenty enough to indicate that he is actually a good manager.

In the right, ready made conditions.

Obscurity in Chelsea Reserves.
Needed major guidance (from Graham Taylor et al) at Watford.
Failure at Reading.
Walked in to a ready to go, suits you Sir scenario at Swansea.

Bring Back The SB

by Bring Back The SB » 29 May 2012 16:17

I think anyone who now deny the fact that Brendan is a good manager need to take a long hard look at themselves. I hope he gets the Liverpool job and becomes a hero for them.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 29 May 2012 16:20

Bring Back The SB I think anyone who now deny the fact that Brendan is a good manager need to take a long hard look at themselves. I hope he gets the Liverpool job and becomes a hero for them.

Nope, can't see it.

Bring Back The SB

by Bring Back The SB » 29 May 2012 16:23

wolsey
Bring Back The SB I think anyone who now deny the fact that Brendan is a good manager need to take a long hard look at themselves. I hope he gets the Liverpool job and becomes a hero for them.

Nope, can't see it.

Your location and comments on this forum tells me that;

A/ You have no clue about football, you're just bitter

And

B/ You like little children a bit too much.

HTH

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 29 May 2012 16:24

Bring Back The SB
wolsey

Nope, can't see it.

Your location and comments on this forum tells me that;

A/ You have no clue about football, you're just bitter

And

B/ You like little children a bit too much.

HTH

Quite. How old are you?

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 29 May 2012 16:32

I somehow think he'll already arrive with his own brand of Rodgers-isms to inflate his status to the anfield masses. Be interesting to also see what he can do with a team who are devoid of any structure unlike the Swansea team he took over.Im sure though Jonjo Shelvey will be given 'world beater' status so never mind eh

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 29 May 2012 16:42

Can't disagree with that really. Whatever went wrong with us here, he's clearly shown he has the calibre with the right set of players (to match his 'way'), and he still seems to have a soft spot for Reading, in spite of the fact that a vast majority of our fans are tw@ts.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 29 May 2012 16:56

royalZILLAAA

Can't disagree with that really. Whatever went wrong with us here, he's clearly shown he has the calibre with the right set of players (to match his 'way'), and he still seems to have a soft spot for Reading, in spite of the fact that a vast majority of our fans are tw@ts.

Lets be honest, the team that won promotion, was Martinez's legacy. He deserves no real credit for getting them promoted.

However in the interests of balance, he does deserve alot (possibly more) of credit for keeping them up, and finishing them strongly.

Anyone who is handed a head start like that, is destined to do well, and whilst I have gained alot of respect for him since his ultimate failure with us, I still see words coming out of his mouth which belong in Roy of the Rovers cartoons.... The truth ultimately, is that Rodgers picked up something with momentum, has kept the momentum going (all credit here) but has yet to stumble on any pressure.... What he proved at Reading more than anything, is that under pressure, he cracks. If Tim Dellor can make him crack, anyone can.

I will reserve my exorcism of my hatred for the man, for a time when he has faced adversity, and overcome it...... and when he stops talking like he's some kind of tactical genius, when we've all seen that he's not....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 May 2012 16:58

So are we signing him or not then?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 29 May 2012 17:01

Royal Lady So are we signing him or not then?

Apparently not as it's not the Reading way to nick players off other teams, despite the fact that Rodgers has form for prematurely announcing signings, and we nicked Hunt and most recently Gorkss from other clubs.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 May 2012 17:03

NO!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 May 2012 17:05

Pepe the Horseman

NO!

Well bollox then. That's me upset for the whole close season unless Matt Mills comes back then. :cry: :cry:

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 29 May 2012 17:06

I have just publicly announced (on facebook) that should we pinch Sigurdsson at the last moment, I will attend the first away friendly, wearing nothing by my pants, with the Sigs name on my chest in black marker..... I am that confident that it's not going to happen...
Last edited by Caskeys Lovechild on 29 May 2012 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

2243 posts