Euro 2012 - Group Stages

1381 posts
leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Euro 2012 - Group Stages

by leww_rfc » 20 Jun 2012 11:12

Simon's Church Joseph S Blatter ‏@SeppBlatter
After last night’s match #GLT is no longer an alternative but a necessity.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

:roll: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 20 Jun 2012 11:15

Maguire Anwyays, Gerrard was MOTM but I think the defence was pretty solid all round and Terry had a decent game. .

2nd half, yes, but the 1st half was a different story. Ukraine had a number of decent chances, and it was good fortune rather than good defending that stopped us going a goal down.

There's a big difference between keeping a team at arm's length, as we did v France, and riding our luck, as we did last night. Just because you don't let a goal in, doesn't mean you defended well.

I actually though we were terrible across the board in the first half. It was as if we were just playing for time from the kick off, and I was almost thinking it would be better to let a goal in, as that would force us to change and actually take part in the game.

Once we got in front though, I was completely confident we'd win. It must have really shattered Ukraine to go a goal down after completely dominating.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Jun 2012 11:31

Maguire Anwyays, Gerrard was MOTM but I think the defence was pretty solid all round and Terry had a decent game. .

2nd half, yes, but the 1st half was a different story. Ukraine had a number of decent chances.....It must have really shattered Ukraine to go a goal down after completely dominating.

Are you sure you didn't watch Sweden v France by mistake? Where exactly were all Ukraine's "number of decent chances" in the first half? Unless I've had a complete mind melt I think you've just made this up.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Jun 2012 11:34

Royal Rother I have no major objection to him playing because if we go further he probably offers more than our other striking options but last night he hardly placed a pass to a white shirt, his first touch was awful, he had no real pace, and missed an absolute sitter. Not sure what else you need him to have done to get a hammering.

Oh, and Harry Redknapp's wife would have scored that winner.

Harry Redknapp's wife wouldn't have been in that position. Face it, you don't like the bloke (or you're just stupid, I can't tell) so you're saying a 4/10 is generous when he's played his first game in over a month and scored the winner to knock the hosts out of the European championships. Madness.

Not match-fit, not match-sharp, but the only way he'll get there is by playing games. Definitely the right decision to bring him in.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Jun 2012 11:42

Maguire
Royal Rother I have no major objection to him playing because if we go further he probably offers more than our other striking options but last night he hardly placed a pass to a white shirt, his first touch was awful, he had no real pace, and missed an absolute sitter. Not sure what else you need him to have done to get a hammering.

Oh, and Harry Redknapp's wife would have scored that winner.

Harry Redknapp's wife wouldn't have been in that position. Face it, you don't like the bloke (or you're just stupid, I can't tell) so you're saying a 4/10 is generous when he's played his first game in over a month and scored the winner to knock the hosts out of the European championships. Madness.

Not match-fit, not match-sharp, but the only way he'll get there is by playing games. Definitely the right decision to bring him in.

Nothing to do with likes or dislikes. I don't like Gerrard but have said he was excellent last night. Same goes for Terry.

And I've already said it was right to play Rooney last night. But face it, it was pure fluke (and defensive incompetence) that the ball reached him for the nod in - 3 deflections on the way. He really doesn't deserve a lot of credit for that one. (Just about the same amount you gave Church when he got his tap ins last season.)

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 20 Jun 2012 11:53

Maguire
Royal Rother Oh, and Harry Redknapp's wife would have scored that winner.

Harry Redknapp's wife wouldn't have been in that position.

I'd have played her up front if I was the manager. :wink:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Jun 2012 11:56

Rother - the thing is, Rooney's movement for that goal was what allowed him to nod it in. He started in the middle on the edge of the box and peeled off the defender to the back post - the same for the free header.

Granted you could mark him down for the poor first touch and missed chances but the fact is he was getting into decent positions and if anyone it was him who looked more than likely to score last night. How many chances did our centre forward have?!

Oh and as for Ukraines "decent chances" - errrr, there wasn't any (bar the offside free header and the outside goal that wasn't). We were letting them shoot from 30+ yards which Joe Hart really only had to parry one away, the rest he just watch sail over the bar.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 20 Jun 2012 12:08

Maguire

2nd half, yes, but the 1st half was a different story. Ukraine had a number of decent chances.....It must have really shattered Ukraine to go a goal down after completely dominating.

Are you sure you didn't watch Sweden v France by mistake? Where exactly were all Ukraine's "number of decent chances" in the first half? Unless I've had a complete mind melt I think you've just made this up.

They had a number of shots/chances. The fact they they didn't take them very well is irrelevant. Defend like that against a decent team and we'd be cut to ribbons.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Jun 2012 12:15

Rev Algenon Stickleback H They had a number of shots/chances. The fact they they didn't take them very well is irrelevant. Defend like that against a decent team and we'd be cut to ribbons.

I don't agree - the reason they had a number of shots is because we were limiting them to hit and hope 30 yarders. How many times did they walk through our defence and get a shot off?

"Defend like that against a decent team and we'd be cut to ribbons"

No we wont - decent teams will try and work the ball in to the box (ala France 1st game) and fail due to our set-up.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Jun 2012 12:23

Rev Algenon Stickleback H They had a number of shots/chances. The fact they they didn't take them very well is irrelevant. Defend like that against a decent team and we'd be cut to ribbons.

Digs from 35 yards aren't really "chances". If we're going to limit sides to that then I for one am pretty happy.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jun 2012 12:25

Schards#2
SpaceCruiser Does anyone find it a bit curious that there's only been two sending offs (the Polish keeper and the Irish bloke) and one penalty (which was missed) in the entire group stage? Or have I missed something here?

Greek centre half was sent off in the first game too but, yes, the attrition rate is low and the lack of penalties remarkable.

Maybe UEFA are fed up with teams in the latter stages being weakened by multiple suspensionand have asked refs to ease off. Don't know about the penalties though, haven't seen too many blatent ones not given.

Platini has put the lack of penalties down to having the extra officials on the goal line! He thinks there are less fouls being committed because players don't think they'll get away with it whilst the extra eyes are watching. I think he's spent too much time with Blatter and he's losing the plot.

There have been a few shirt pulls and other fouls in the box not given, that in previous tournaments I think might've been pens (Carroll last night for example) but I can't think of any stonewallers.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 20 Jun 2012 12:27

Gordons Cumming
Maguire
Royal Rother Oh, and Harry Redknapp's wife would have scored that winner.

Harry Redknapp's wife wouldn't have been in that position.

I'd have played her up front if I was the manager. :wink:

So would Harry if it was "attacks efficient" method

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Jun 2012 12:31

My mrs said last night 'it might have been over the line but the ball didn't touch the floor do it is not a goal'

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Jun 2012 12:38

soggy biscuit My mrs said last night 'it might have been over the line but the ball didn't touch the floor do it is not a goal'

:lol:

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 20 Jun 2012 13:00

soggy biscuit My mrs said last night 'it might have been over the line but the ball didn't touch the floor do it is not a goal'

Good rule.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jun 2012 13:01

You are Adam Le Fondre AICMFP

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Jun 2012 13:04

Hoop Blah
soggy biscuit BBC said this morning that viewing figures for the Sweden game peaked at 16 million

I have nothing to compare that too but it is huge isn't it?

It is massive yes. I read something the other day comparing it (or perhaps the France game, which I think might've been 15m+, or even some of the other games) to other audience figures and it was quite impressive, much more than things like the Champions League final etc.

And to think some people say that international football is dead and there's no interest in it...

18 million watched last nights match!!

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jun 2012 13:05

Beeb + Sunday night = 24million +

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Jun 2012 13:20

Not a fan of Gerrard. Didn't want him in the squad to be honest. He's shut my mouth with another excellent performance. Good man. Someone needs to hobble Frank Lampard permanently.

Rooney was pretty poop, but first game back and a bit rusty I suppose. England swapped the functional Carroll for the much needed creativity of Rooney, in hindsight swapping a two goal lead for 0-0 draw at half time - the big man would have burried those chances.

Another 'Functional vs Flair' lesson nobody will be learning.

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 20 Jun 2012 13:27

Mine said exactly the same :lol:

1381 posts