Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

5707 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Generic clubs in financial crisis Thread

by ZacNaloen » 13 May 2013 12:28

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22510420

Ta da!

can't say I have any sympathy for the guy if this is true.

He's been totally ruthless.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 May 2013 10:29

If Cortese leaves Pochettino has said he will leave.

That would be great.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 16 May 2013 13:19

American multi millionaire businessman Preston Haskell IV has submitted an offer to buy Coventry and the Ricoh Arena

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 16 May 2013 17:19

soggy biscuit
American multi millionaire businessman Preston Haskell IV has submitted an offer to buy Coventry and the Ricoh Arena

He's worth 164 million according to the BBC, doesn't seem that much for a football club owner.....

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 16 May 2013 21:57

Ideal
Vision And here's the latest
Aldershot in Administration
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22383276

correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the shits were some kind of phoenix club, after having previously gone tits up once? So basicly they've learnt nothing from that experience?

What an ignorant response! The club did a fantastic job to get back into the Football League, but then a new owner came along and made a number of promises, and it looked like the right move for the club. They weren't to know he was a sheep in wolf's clothing. For all we know the same could happen here. It's the same for any club that see new owners come in. You just have to hope they have genuine intentions!

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 16 May 2013 22:09

(.)Boobies(.)
Ideal
Vision And here's the latest
Aldershot in Administration
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22383276

correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the shits were some kind of phoenix club, after having previously gone tits up once? So basicly they've learnt nothing from that experience?

What an ignorant response! The club did a fantastic job to get back into the Football League, but then a new owner came along and made a number of promises, and it looked like the right move for the club. They weren't to know he was a sheep in wolf's clothing. For all we know the same could happen here. It's the same for any club that see new owners come in. You just have to hope they have genuine intentions!

Well you can t blame them can you ...its not like Aldershot have been taken in before by a Billy Big bollocks with no cash.....

Ralph Jolly

by Ralph Jolly » 20 May 2013 11:53

Hearts could face relegation from the SPL due to "insolvency event"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22593734

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 20 May 2013 12:44

Birmingham Mail Birmingham City tell Swindon they can't afford £250,000 Paul Caddis
17 May 2013 10:13
Transfer talks collapse to put dent in Lee Clark's plans for Blues
Paul Caddis’ move to St Andrew’s is off because Birmingham City can’t afford to sign him, throwing Lee Clark’s summer plans into turmoil.
Clark was desperate to turn the Swindon Town defender’s temporary deal into a permanent one and the player himself had also set his sights on the switch .
Blues spent several weeks in negotiation with the Robins before the January transfer window.
They had a bid of £125,000, plus a further £125,000 over time, rejected.
Swindon were looking for around £250,000 in one hit and talks continued about the Scotland international call-up as the season drew to a close.
But now there has been a dramatic U-turn as Blues have informed Swindon that they don’t have the resources to make Caddis a cash signing.
It comes as a blow to Clark who had been counting on his arrival to strengthen his backline.
He knows that he will have to source out-of-contract players and loan signings to top up his squad, but missing out on the 25-year-old right-back is already a big knock.
Caddis was loaned to Blues last August after falling out with former Robins boss Paolo Di Canio.
He instantly won a stack of admirers following a run of impressive performances.
A shoulder injury de-railed his progress but he returned towards the end of the season to help guide Blues to a mid-table finish.
In total, he made 28 appearances and he had hoped that he could improve on that next season.
But with the budget being cut it means that Blues will miss out on the bargain at the expense of another Championship club.
He still has a year to run on his contract at the County Ground and a number of second-tier clubs are thought to be ready to pounce.
The former Celtic player has proven that he is good enough to make the step-up from League One and an exit from Swindon is inevitable.
With Stephen Carr retiring only a few weeks ago, Clark now has problems at right-back.
One man hoping to take advantage of the vacancy, though, is Ryan Higgins.
The 19-year-old has set his sights on breaking into the Blues first team after penning his first professional contract.
Higgins, who played for free in the development team last year in order to impress boss Lee Clark, has been rewarded for his efforts with a one-year deal.
The Liverpool-born teenager is a right-back by trade but is also comfortable playing in midfield and he is hoping to show what he is made of in the Championship next term.
“I like to play with high energy and hopefully I can continue to make progress and be under consideration if the right-back position isn’t solid in anyone’s favour next season,” he said,
“I’m energetic and I like to get forward and I like to put crosses in,
“There is a lot of hard work to be done to make me a better defender now.”
Higgins could barely hide his joy at signing his first professional terms.
Growing up, he played for Everton since the age of six but was released last year after captaining the Under-18s.
He originally moved to Blues when former boss Chris Hughton was in charge but the start of the financial problems meant he couldn’t secure a deal.
Higgins asked if he could prove himself without pay for the club’s development side and his hard work has earned him an extended stay, plus a 12-month option.
“It is great to finally pen the new deal,” he said,
“My mum and dad are dead proud so it’s great all round for the family and me.
“This season I have proved that I’ve got enough to get a deal but there is still a lot of proving to do now.”

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 May 2013 12:40

:lol: aren't Birmingham expected to be in very serious financial straits this season?

trueroyal1871

by trueroyal1871 » 21 May 2013 14:04

Cobi Cortese has had a bust up behind the scenes at Saints and is considering quitting the club. Welcome to the thread, Southampton.

Cortese isn't the owner or the money man. The club is owned by the Liebherr family and Markus Liebherr's daughter took over the ownership of Saints after her old man died in 2010. They're not in any financial trouble at all considering the family have a net worth of about £3 billion and her father specifically said that money was to be spent on the club to make it a success.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 21 May 2013 18:27

West Ham sign Rat and agree fee with Liverpool for Carroll

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 May 2013 22:04

No Fixed Abode West Ham sign Rat and agree fee with Liverpool for Carroll

Wrong topic?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 22 May 2013 07:39

No Fixed Abode West Ham sign Rat and agree fee with Liverpool for Carroll

Ca't believe they would let Suarez & Carroll both go

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 24 May 2013 14:07

Alexander Litvinenko Before this report came out I was sceptical that anything would change, but after reading it I'm now a lot more positive. The tone says that they're serious - and I'm sure the PL will deploy all of their money and tame media to fight this tooth and nail.

But at the very least I think some of the recommendations will be implemented, if only as a damage limitation exercise by the PL, so the game will be better off after it than it is now - for instance getting rid of FCR and providing proper funding for supporters' organisations and supporter representation.

A line in the sand has been drawn and now everyone knows where they are - it's been spelt out clear as day that the FA has to be independent of the PL rather than its puppet.

The full report is here : http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmcumeds/509/509.pdf if anyone wants to read the full 143 pages.

Just taking this back 6 pages, it very much looks like the government is likely to act : http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/23/government-bill-football-reform

Part of what's behind this, I understand, is that the two parties in the coalition agree on so little these days that this is one of the few things they both agree about that will lead to legislation without arguments.

URZZZZZ

Sheffield Wednesday

by URZZZZZ » 09 Jun 2013 21:31

Did anyone else see the interview with Milan Mandaric saying the club is losing 5 mil a year and next year will be no different???

Surely they can't bankroll this for much longer,or am I wrong and this is kinda normal???

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sheffield Wednesday

by Albert Spangler » 09 Jun 2013 21:57

Financial Crisis thread? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94689&start=4060

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 09 Jun 2013 22:26

URZZZZZ Did anyone else see the interview with Milan Mandaric saying the club is losing 5 mil a year and next year will be no different???

Surely they can't bankroll this for much longer,or am I wrong and this is kinda normal???

Sounds a lot like pre-Anton Reading.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Jun 2013 22:34

...except they aren't selling a player every year to offset the debt. They are just piling up more debt.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Jun 2013 00:06

Who was Mandaric chairman of about ten years ago?

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 10 Jun 2013 11:18

Rev Algenon Stickleback H ...except they aren't selling a player every year to offset the debt. They are just piling up more debt.

Indeed. And much as we may have not liked losing our "best"/most saleable asset every season, thank God for SJM's prudent stewardship through the years!

5707 posts