LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8685 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Sanguine » 17 Apr 2014 12:55

sandman
I'll be the first to admit I've never liked Gerrard.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Apr 2014 13:02

Perhaps one of OUR best midfielders at one point, though I don't think this translated to the national team, where like others he has struggled to make a serious, consistent and long term impact.

For those reasons I think there are plenty of others who rank above him. I guess he has a more all-round game than those like Gazza or Scholes when looking at our own but I'm not convinced being an all-rounder makes you better.

At club level however, its hard to argue against such an accolade but then the pressure is off in such an arena. Your home fans will back you regardless of performance and you can pretty much play as you like without fear of critique. I think this is why players like Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard and Scholes, playing in their protected bubbles at club level, struggled to really seize the international stage which highlighted their weaknesses and found them fall short of being genuine world greats.

His time has really run out to change that.

As an aside, had Gerrard not been so loyal to Liverpool, perhaps he would have become the world class player he is often billed to be. But then his loyalty has to be admired in an industry where it is rare.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Apr 2014 13:03

I'd love to see Stevie G lift the Premier League trophy. Mostly to spite sandman.

jjd82

by jjd82 » 17 Apr 2014 13:05

Extended-Phenotype Perhaps one of OUR best midfielders at one point, though I don't think this translated to the national team, where like others he has struggled to make a serious, consistent and long term impact.

For those reasons I think there are plenty of others who rank above him. I guess he has a more all-round game than those like Gazza or Scholes when looking at our own but I'm not convinced being an all-rounder makes you better.

At club level however, its hard to argue against such an accolade but then the pressure is off in such an arena. Your home fans will back you regardless of performance and you can pretty much play as you like without fear of critique. I think this is why players like Gerrard, Beckham, Lampard and Scholes, playing in their protected bubbles at club level, struggled to really seize the international stage which highlighted their weaknesses and found them fall short of being genuine world greats.

As an aside, had Gerrard not been so loyal to Liverpool, perhaps he would have become the world class player he is often billed to be. But then his loyalty has to be admired in an industry where it is rare.

Booooooooooooooo

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Apr 2014 13:22

jjd82
Extended-Phenotype Perhaps one of OUR best midfielders at one point, though I don't think this translated to the national team, where like others he has struggled to make a serious, consistent and long term impact.

Booooooooooooooo

:D I meant with regards to 'talisman' players.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Apr 2014 13:24

genome I'd love to see Stevie G lift the Premier League trophy. Mostly to spite sandman.

There really are going to be some hilarious tears on here if it happens

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 17 Apr 2014 13:39

It would've been interesting to see how Gerrard would've got on at Real.

Not enough British players make the move abroad, and for that reason it's difficult to compare with some of their continental alternatives. I think that being a truly great player means that you can apply yourselves in range of different teams/styles/cultures, something that very few Brits get to see, and perhaps one of the reasons for the lack of international success. The Barca model has been translated to the Spanish national team, and so those players (Xavi, Iniesta) are naturally comfortable for both club and country. Players such as Maradona, Zidane, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic and C. Ronaldo have been successful in a range of different countries (and on the international stage to varying amounts), and for that reason I'd say they rank above some of their contemporaries (and yes, I realise I have picked pretty lofty examples).

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 17 Apr 2014 13:52

Stevie G is absolutely woeful at short quick passing and his defensive positioning is usually pretty poor

That's pretty much the only two weaknesses i can think of (at club level). His short passing really is bad

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 17 Apr 2014 13:53

Didn't Chelsea try and buy Gerrard at one point? Right when the Lamps/Gerrard debate was at it's peak?

Still think (as these two were sadly undropable because of the gutless string of managers this country has employed) it would have done wonders for our national team (and their standing as 'world class players') if these two played together every weekend, perhaps more so than dropping one of them would have.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 17 Apr 2014 13:54

genome I'd love to see Stevie G lift the Premier League trophy. Mostly to spite sandman.

You just wait till Federici is sold.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 17 Apr 2014 14:03

Certainly the top English midfield player of his era (and among the best in the world), better all round player than Lampard IMO.

The two from Barca have certainly been the best in the biz, somewhat helped by being in a strong club and national set up which of course they've been an integral part of. Gerrard has been the stand out player in a weaker club side though than many of the other headliners which helps highlight his quality.

Pirlo
Khedira
Alonso
Schweinstieger
Kaka (at Milan first time)

All worth mentions for varying playing roles, Gerrard could be considered in that company easily.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Apr 2014 14:05

Royalclapper Certainly the top English midfield player of his era (and among the best in the world), better all round player than Lampard IMO.

The two from Barca have certainly been the best in the biz, somewhat helped by being in a strong club and national set up which of course they've been an integral part of. Gerrard has been the stand out player in a weaker club side though than many of the other headliners which helps highlight his quality.

Pirlo
Khedira
Alonso
Schweinstieger

All worth mentions for varying playing roles, Gerrard could be considered in that company easily.

Khedira?!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 17 Apr 2014 14:12

Extended-Phenotype Didn't Chelsea try and buy Gerrard at one point? Right when the Lamps/Gerrard debate was at it's peak?

Still think (as these two were sadly undropable because of the gutless string of managers this country has employed) it would have done wonders for our national team (and their standing as 'world class players') if these two played together every weekend, perhaps more so than dropping one of them would have.

He scored an own goal in the Carling Cup final at a point when the media 'frenzy' over the move was at its peak. IIRC. That'd be 2005.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 17 Apr 2014 14:19

YateleyRoyal
Royalclapper Certainly the top English midfield player of his era (and among the best in the world), better all round player than Lampard IMO.

Pirlo
Khedira
Alonso
Schweinstieger

Khedira?!

Always looked a class act whenever I've seen him play, maybe not quite such a big name as the others but worth considering IMO.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Apr 2014 14:55

It's about time Liverpool won the title, being the 3rd biggest spenders in Premier League history.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Apr 2014 15:15

retro_royal
Victor Meldrew Nice montage by retro.
I know Blue Peter is your favourite programme and you are learning a lot from it but one day you will grow up and have to live like an adult.
In the meantime why not apply to go on Jim 'll fix it-that nice Mr Savile will help you to grow up.

Classic Scouse. Having a pop at the person pointing out how disgusting LFC fans behaviour is. Munich banners, shit throwing, murdering is all ok then I guess.

Still nothing about football.
Presumably you are off to Merseyside this weekend to see the return of Moyes to his old club or are you a bit frightened of those scousers?
Did you know that Everton are scousers or do you think it is just Liverpool supporting scousers that go around murdering people every day of the week?
I know that you are a bit on the short side and are all mouth and no (short) trousers when it comes to the real aggro but don't you think your team needs all the support it can get at this difficult time?

If you do go be very careful as a few visitors to the local Walton Jail might be in the vicinity.
I hear that Rooney is likely to bottle (again) a trip to Merseyside. Apparently he has a bad toe...ahhhhhh.
What has your horrible club done to Shrek?, he used to be brave once.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 17 Apr 2014 15:17

quite the bite there m8

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Apr 2014 15:23

dizzynewheights quite the bite there m8

Massively rattLOLed :lol:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Apr 2014 16:00

dizzynewheights quite the bite there m8

I know it's difficult when dealing with special needs posters but I keep trying to bring the topic back to football and failing.
Kes and retro spend so much time on here under this topic when surely they are more interested in their own clubs-I do feel as though they have serious issues and hope one day that they will take my advice and seek professional help.

Now onto the mighty reds I wonder what impact Sturridge's injury and Henderson's suspension will have at least initially for the away game at Norwich.
It could well be that Brendan will bring in Lucas and Allen and move Gerrard further forward to work closer with Coutinho and Sterling.
Unlike City and Chelsea Liverpool don't have the strongest overall squad but there is a desire there that could well carry them through to be champions.
In doing so they would create a Premier League record for coming from the lowest position in the previous year to win it.
I hope they make the 100 league goals for the season as the neutrals' favourite team to watch again.

I don't agree with the bookies who make Liverpool odds-on to win it as I still remember that slip-up to Arsenal which cost them the title.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Apr 2014 16:21

For the record I've nothing massively against Liverpool or Gerrard and have defended them on here in the past. I don't like their manager or their more militant fans like cmonuredz and Victor which is why I don't want them to win the PL.

Gerrard has, for the most part, been a good pro and I suppose it might be nice for him personally to win it. I just prefer my midfield players to have a bit more grace and guile than the 'wham bam thank you mam' Gerrard/Lampard archetypal PL Midfielder style and that's why I've never liked him as a player cmonuredz. It certainly wouldn't 'spite' me to see him as an individual win it. I don't hate the guy I just don't like his style of play.

As for LoyalRoyalFan's, I presume Swainey is him, Federici jibe I think we'll find it difficult to offload either of our Keepers this summer. Feds hasn't played enough to be in the sights of another club and LRF's bosom buddy Alex's stock has gone down dramatically due to his poor recent form and inability to improve on his distribution problems. Should've got out last Summer when he had the chance and people were interested.
Last edited by sandman on 17 Apr 2014 17:46, edited 2 times in total.

8685 posts