The Non - League thread

10624 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Non - League thread 2013/14

by Royal Rother » 26 Oct 2014 12:56

Quick correction to FOC's post re Windsor's game at Westfield on Tuesday night - 7.45 KO not 7.30.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Non - League thread 2014/15

by Four Of Clubs » 26 Oct 2014 13:12

Royalist
My first game at Stag Meadow in the early 90's i made a fool of myself by sitting in the seats :shock: :oops: :wink:

...agreed - can't be a much more of a pointless Stand than the one at SM (though one about 200yds from the action at Hayling Utd took quite some comprehending!) - if you aren't sat in the first couple of rows @ Windsor you can see pheck all at either end of the ground.
... and what's with the bloody great girder you have to squeeze past to get out of the 'Tunnel'?

Marlow's is a bit like that but at least the ends are slightly less opaque (if that's the right use of the word) and you can just about follow the action - if you press your face up against the plastiglass/perpex or whatever it is.

The stand at Staines carries its own particular 'hazard' too - a lot of the seats get continually 'dripped' on .... and I'm not too sure its rainwater! :o

Strangest/funniest one was at Highworth - used to be only a couple of rows deep down one side but if the front row got up at half time to leave and there were people still sat down at the back, the whole thing felt as if it was about to tip backwards - no wonder it was caged off for yonks! :lol:

... and Chertsey's quaint ol' number is like going up the steps of a Haunted House in the Funfair! :D

PS any news on the new kit?

(dives into nearest cover! 8) )

... just spotted RR's post above ...

Quick correction to FOC's post re Windsor's game at Westfield on Tuesday night - 7.45 KO not 7.30.

... are you absotively sure about that - Westfield have always kicked off earlier (at 19:30) in the past - I'd assumed it's a Woking Council reg for them and the same often applies at Knaphill as I think they do the same.

The weekly CCL Bulletin (from last week) still had it listed at
19:30 too?) - admittedly Westfield's website does show 19:45 but that's one o' they 'pitchero' sites which often has fixed default KO times and is a bugger to change apparently?

Would have expected something specific to have been posted somewhere if they are changing - will confirm/retract etc on receipt of THIS weeks' Bulletin sometime later today? :)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Oct 2014 13:55

Well both Windsor's website and Westfield's are saying 7.45pm so as sure as I can be but you seem to have proper knowledge so I will be checking it out as well.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 26 Oct 2014 14:26

Royal Rother Well both Windsor's website and Westfield's are saying 7.45pm so as sure as I can be but you seem to have proper knowledge so I will be checking it out as well.

Hope I'm not causing undue consternation but I am fairly certain Westfield are a CCL club that invariably KO earlier than others. Hartley W, Hanworth Villa & Ash regularly do likewise - and I'm not sure they can vary their KO times.

UPDATE: Just received THIS weeks CCL Bulletin and the KO is still clearly marked as 19:30

...and of course - you don't want to get there late and miss the chance of a seat up on the balcony! 8)

... and if you've NOT been recently - head into the main Woking Park Leisure Centre entrance off the A247 - opposite Kingfield Stadium (ignore 'NO PARKING FOR FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS' on the signs - that's just there for the 'big' guys over the road) and you'll see the lights & ground way over to the right .
- drive thru the main Centre Car park bearing round to the right, down between the side of the Leisure Centre itself & a big Silver/Grey building next to the Football pitch and there's a large new (free) Car Park on the left at the other end. It has a 'cage 5-a-side football' area on its roof!

The way into Westfield FC is signposted - the turnstile is back underneath said Grey structure - accessed via a passageway that goes past rooms used by Air Cadets - Scouts etc
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 26 Oct 2014 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Oct 2014 15:11

Thanks FOC - it will indeed be my 1st visit, I believe.

However, I went to Chertsey a couple of weeks ago and commented on the way there that it would be another 1st and my mate assured me I'd taken him there on August Bank Holiday weekend. He was right.

Scary!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 27 Oct 2014 20:14

Definitely 7.30... Thanks for alerting me FOC!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 27 Oct 2014 23:32

Royal Rother Definitely 7.30... Thanks for alerting me FOC!

... hope you enjoy it - I went there earlier this season for the first time in about 20 yrs and didn't recognise the place - nice new feel about everything - decent ale upstairs too.

Is a bit of a git to get to though, unless you know the way through the town or can find your way round into Old Woking from the A322 up the B380 - easy to miss the turn in the dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Went up to Holloways Pk tonight: saw SYCOB pick up their first home point of the season, after 6 defeats, in a 1-1 draw with high flying Godalming - who are now up to 3rd.
Aaron Couch - featured for many Berks/Bucks sides in the pyramid (Sluff, Aylesbury Utd, Burnham, Marlow, Flackwell etc) - bagged the hosts leveller with about 20' left.

Beaconsfield looked a bit better than their current last position would suggest - had the lions share of the play but weren't quite gelling up front - Julian Owusu recently arrived from Basingstoke on dual-registration look good.
They do seem to be calling in some more experienced faces too - to bolster the high numbers of Bisham Academy (FAB) lads they recruited at the start of 14/15 - Lee Thompson has also joined from Flackwell where he was quite prolific from wide.

I'd expect them to start improving.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 Oct 2014 10:12

Didcot Town 7 (SEVEN) - 0 Bashley

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 29 Oct 2014 10:31

Lots of action in local 'NL' last night:

In the Southern Prem - good home wins for Burnham (3-1 vs Frome) & Hungerford (2-0 vs Truro). Chesham drew 4-4 with Camb Utd - 'Generals' led 4-1 early 2nd half. Sluff got a point in a 6 goal thriller at Bigg. Town. - hat-trick for Ed Smith - bit of a rollercoaster - Rebels led 2-0 at H/t fell behind and snatched a point very late on.

In Div One Central Chalfont St P bt Aylesbury Utd 3-0 - Egham won 3-1 away at Uxbridge.

In the South & West section Didcot romped to a 7-0 win over poor Bashley
- I was at The Loop last night - quite a sizeable turnout - officially 136 but a lot of 'stragglers' joined 2nd half - most likely free-loaders from the Bar and various lads from the practice pitch. Penalty awarded at their first attack - two up inside 5 minutes. - Hat-trick for Mills (ex-Nor Lye) as well as a 'Messi-like' balletic effort from Pablo Haysham just before H/T: dancing through from his own half, past half-a-doz (fairly limp) tackles, before slotting in. Goals from Carnell, Dutton-Black and Elkins, completed the rout for a woefully out-powered 'Bash' - they look Wessex-bound or worse - were rumours at the start of the season they were merging with one of the Lymington clubs. Diddy were easing off late on and could well have got double-figures.

Not many league games scheduled in the Combined Counties but an important 2-1 win at Westfield for Windsor - puts them up to 3rd behind Ashford Town (Mx) and Cove.

Full programme this week in the Hellenic Premier and quite a few stand-out results last night:

... leaders Highmoor/IBIS humbled 0-4 at Ardley - not what they wanted before their big Vase tie at the Western League leaders Melksham this w/e.
I thought about going down to deepest Wilts but was slightly alarmed at their 300 plus crowd at home to Bristol Manor Farm on Monday night! :shock: They could well be a team for the near-future too - a lot of clubs coming up out of the Western leagues tend to flourish. Melksham small town east of Bath and between Chipp'num & Trowbridge, are planning to relocate from their quaint little town centre ground tucked away behind the busy Market Place. The one drawback for significant future success is the prevalence of other clubs of similar sizes clustered around them in these 'ere Moonraker parts - many of whom are doing quite well on the pitch too - Bradford, Frome, Paulton, Larkhall etc
Ascot failed to cash-in though as they too were soundly beaten 3-0 at Flackwell - they at least have a potentially easier trip up to South Mids strugglers Holmer Green on Saturday.
Kidlington in 3rd dropped points 1-1 at lowly Brimscomb
Bracknell returned to some form with a good 3-0 win over previously in-form Holyport
Thatcham slumped further in a 1-3 reverse at home to WBT;
Milton went down 1-3 at home to Thame;
Highworth edged past bottom club Sarries 3-2
..... and finally in another big E.Berks battle Binfield stay 4th as they came away from Scours Lane with a 3-2 win over RTFC.

... doesn't leave much 'action' tonight though - might well stay in - only options I'd consider are Nomads vs Newbury or Shrivenham vs Ab Utd and I've already been to both this season.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Oct 2014 21:35

Enjoyable game at Westfield last night. Good advert for the league. 8 wins on the bounce for Windsor now, playing some very good football at the moment.

Here is 10 mins of excellent video coverage. (Windsor in red in case anyone in doubt - unlikely...)

http://youtu.be/3WBqjiBTuzs

Royalist

by Royalist » 30 Oct 2014 09:57

If only there was a unique kit out there that would end any confusion. Seems Lord Lucan is the kitman though :D

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 30 Oct 2014 13:41

Royal Rother Enjoyable game at Westfield last night. Good advert for the league. 8 wins on the bounce for Windsor now, playing some very good football at the moment.

Here is 10 mins of excellent video coverage. (Windsor in red in case anyone in doubt - unlikely...)

http://youtu.be/3WBqjiBTuzs

Excellent. Windsor play some really good stuff. Looking forward to a visit to the Stag the next time I am across the pond.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Oct 2014 16:29

This season?

Make sure HW introduces us!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Oct 2014 20:16

Bet Victor are going 11/8 Windsor against Highworth in the Vase on Saturday.

In the last few months we have made Binfield, Reading Town and Brimscombe & Thrupp look very ordinary so I'd suggest we have a definite edge over the Hellenic League.

We are a better team now than when we played those games so I think 11/8 is good / great value.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 30 Oct 2014 21:07

Royal Rother Bet Victor are going 11/8 Windsor against Highworth in the Vase on Saturday.

In the last few months we have made Binfield, Reading Town and Brimscombe & Thrupp look very ordinary so I'd suggest we have a definite edge over the Hellenic League.

We are a better team now than when we played those games so I think 11/8 is good / great value.

Highworth are one of the consistently 'whacked' outfits of the Hellenic - over the years they regularly cane sides above them - seemingly just because they can .... but rarely maintain interest in the the top spot cos they equally tend to get done by many of the weaker sides in the division each season. (Not entirely dissimilar to Flackwell -if you can remember them from that ultimately ill-fated B&B tie from a couple of years back :wink: )

I'd anticipate goals aplenty - but you'll either win big or get a real going over - no middle ground - it's unlikely to be dull. :?

They have a tendency to be big, ugly, well-organised and fast with it - but I've not actually seen them yet this season - is just a bit too far for me to go midweek.
- you ought to be safe enough on your own patch though and looking at their league record they aren't travelling too well and got a bit of a pasting at Ascot a week or so back. Bear in mind the 'Yellamen' were very probably their match physically - as they also have a few hefty lads in their squad.
Binfield also managed a 1-0 win at their place last month but those are the only points they've dropped at home.

Keep Bohane away from the ball and you should be fine - I think he's scored 13 in 14 starts.

...still pondering my w/e destination - got it down to about a doz. possible 'new' ticks - but still dithering about Melksham v Highmoor - will sling up a Preview tomorrow. :)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 30 Oct 2014 23:38

I think I've been to Flackwell several times over the last few years to see a friendly, 2 cup ties and an U18s game.

Not a lucky ground from what I can remember (which isn't a lot!).

A couple of chaps I know at Stag Meadow split their football viewing between Windsor and Binfield and they reckon the CCL is definitely stronger than the Hellenic at the moment.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 31 Oct 2014 01:34

Royal Rother A couple of chaps I know at Stag Meadow split their football viewing between Windsor and Binfield and they reckon the CCL is definitely stronger than the Hellenic at the moment.

Sorry RR but I don't think the general view of the CCL is quite as positive amongst the Anorak fraternity - I'm fairly sure it is viewed as one of the weakest across STEP05 and I suspect looking at the national competitions as opposed to County level this may well be backed up by recent results.

Comparing directly with the Hellenic may prove favourable of late but I doubt there's really much difference.

Looking purely below the Watford Gap I'd put the WESTERN & WESSEX significantly above the others with maybe the SSML and Essex Leagues a close 3rd & 4th.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Oct 2014 11:23

Well yes, it may well be one of the weakest, but I was only making comparison with the Hellenic. For me, apart from the games where we've battered Binfield and Reading Town, I personally haven't seen anything of Hellenic Football, but these are observations of neutral fans who follow both Windsor & Binfield.

The last comment made was "if Windsor want to get promoted from this level they should try to get across to the Hellenic as they'd be head and shoulders above everyone else in that league". Possibly an exaggeration on his part but that was it.

Taking that at face value, and the games I've witnessed suggests that the 11/8 is good value.

Cue a heavy defeat tomorrow! :wink:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 31 Oct 2014 14:54

Royal Rother This season?

Make sure HW introduces us!

Will do, Rotherers. Hoping to make it over before the end of the season.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 31 Oct 2014 16:35

Tomorrow's NL matches involving 'local' sides - & its the first 'double w/e' ie FA Trophy & Vase

Saturday 1st November

FA Trophy 1st Round Qualifying
30 Aylesbury v Merstham
31 Walton Casuals v Peacehaven & Telscombe
32 Dulwich Hamlet v Chalfont St Peter
42 Margate v Slough Town
44 Uxbridge v Hythe Town
47 Burgess Hill Town v Chesham United
48 Northwood v Guernsey - assuming they've remembered to book their flights this w/e! :shock:
52 Hungerford Town v East Thurrock United
57 Burnham v Hitchin Town
59 South Park v Heybridge Swifts
65 Truro City v Egham Town
66 Poole Town v North Leigh
67 Paulton Rovers v Fleet Town
72 Bideford v Didcot Town

FA Vase 1st Round
60 Colliers Wood United v Ringmer
61 Chessington & Hook United v Camberley Town
64 Littlehampton Town v Guildford City
65 Ashford Town (Middx) v Loxwood