46%
No
54%

Total votes: 155
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: What is the point in HRK

by Snowball » 20 Mar 2015 22:36

Ian Royal I'm well aware Long came good in his last season for us and I was wrong about him in that regard. It cost me £50 and I just accepted it with (IMO) decent grace. But it's nice to see you've finally acknowledged you were wrong about his PL scoring ability.

Ian

If you say the next person will be wearing a red dress OR a blue dress, and they are wearing a blue dress, only a total moron then says "You said she'd be wearing a red dress"

I clearly said 10 Prem OR 20 Champ. I also said "OR 30 in League 1"

So if Shane had left and scored 30+ in League 1, I'd've been wrong twice, right?

Nope, that's what the word OR is for.

And remember I made the prediction when Shane's best was about 9 goals
and you and God knows how many others (not all) were saying he was useless.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Mar 2015 10:49

Are you seriously trying to claim that your prediction was that at some point in his career he'd score one of 30 goals in League One, 20 goals in the Championship or 10 goals in the PL? Bullshit.

You are such a weasel. Just man the oxf*rd up; admit you got how good he was wrong, that he's never reached your level of expectation when playing in the PL and get the hell over yourself you ungracious arse.

Is it not enough for you that you were proved at least partly right in that he met your expectations once proving many of us wrong in that one season.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Mar 2015 11:44

Jesus Christ this thread is tedious.

Snowball, what I find so fascinating about you is that you talk about how players can run off the ball, create space for others, and in general do things that aren't registered by stats, and yet you consistently use only facts to then base your opinion and lament others who don't do the same. And the fact that you use the same dull statistics that tell you almost nothing. Yes HRK scored some goals in the PL, but a lot of those were consolation goals as mentioned earlier - and to me that does detract from it somewhat - although he was still very good that season. This season he's frequently been nothing more than anonymous. And if you want to use stats how about the fact he has a single assist, and only attempts 0.4 crosses a game despite playing on the wing for most of the season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Mar 2015 12:11

Ian Royal Are you seriously trying to claim that your prediction was that at some point in his career he'd score one of 30 goals in League One, 20 goals in the Championship or 10 goals in the PL? Bullshit.

ABSOLUTELY. The following is the precise post, word-for word. Which bit is hard for you? At the time of posting (Feb 2009) Shane was playing in The Championship for Reading FC. I was insisting he was going to be a very good player and would play, eventually, in The premiership. BUT AT THAT TIME NOBODY KNEW for certain if he's stay with RFC in the Championship, drop a league, or, eventually do well in the V+Championship and be sold to a Premiership outfit. To many, they were sure Shane would be sold and I was saying it would be a huge mistake.

I "nailed my colours to the mast" (unlike you, IR, who hedges every bet and goes with the prevailing wind.)

Here it is again. It is UTTERLY clear, UTTERLY clear that I was saying this or this or this. How could it be otherwise?

Snowball wrote:

You might be right, and he will then become a top player elsewhere

I go on record as saying if he leaves Reading and avoids a serious injury he will score

10 Premiership goals OR 20 Championship goals OR 30 League One goals in a season.

Now ian, you do SEE those "ors"?
In the following season Shane clearly broke the 20-goal mark in the championship so that's a yes.

You are such a weasel. Just man the oxf*rd up; admit you got how good he was wrong, that he's never reached your level of expectation when playing in the PL and get the hell over yourself you ungracious arse.

Pea-Brain, I realise you don't know the difference between AND and OR, but to say I'm weasling is plain stupid. I went and dug out the quote from a locked thread. If I was weasling, I would have just left it there.

I predicted he would have a 20+ goal Championship Season. He did.

Approximately the ratios for the three leagues are 10-20-30

This has only re-arisen because clowns like you have morphed what I EXACTLY said into me saying "Shane Long WILL score 10 goals in the premiership." Check your oxf*rd facts and learn what "or" means.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Mar 2015 12:23

Read the original, Ian, my weasley friend.

Page 24 of the "Shane Long" thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84386&start=460

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Mar 2015 14:20

Given you were arguing he'd score 10 goals a season as a PL player, including cup and international not that long ago, and that you were saying that 20 Championship goals translates into 10 PL ones and vice versa I say you're full of shit.

Pathetic.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Mar 2015 14:22

Ian Royal Given you were arguing he'd score 10 goals a season as a PL player, including cup and international not that long ago, and that you were saying that 20 Championship goals translates into 10 PL ones and vice versa I say you're full of shit.

Pathetic.

Yup. I went back found a LATER post where what I had ACTUALLY said was paraphrased
and mis-represented. I answered to that post which said "10 Goals as a Prem Player"

That doesn't mean my original statement was anything less than 100% true.

Come on, girl, try again

Pearcehegone

by Pearcehegone » 21 Mar 2015 15:14

Remember when this post used to be about HRK and not a pathetic argument about who said "will/or/shane long can score goals......"? Snow & Ian, no one cares, please pipe down. boring. Back to HRK for a second and i think it speaks volumes the fact the topic has gone so far adrift that he must have a real point in Readings team.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 21 Mar 2015 16:59

Snowball
Ian Royal Given you were arguing he'd score 10 goals a season as a PL player, including cup and international not that long ago, and that you were saying that 20 Championship goals translates into 10 PL ones and vice versa I say you're full of shit.

Pathetic.

Yup. I went back found a LATER post where what I had ACTUALLY said was paraphrased
and mis-represented. I answered to that post which said "10 Goals as a Prem Player"

That doesn't mean my original statement was anything less than 100% true.

Come on, girl, try again

Get a goddamn room will you.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Mar 2015 17:09

ladida_gunner_graham
Come on, girl, try again

Get a goddamn room will you.[/quote]

I'd prefer a boxing ring

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 21 Mar 2015 19:46

One key pass today and fouled thrice, but doesn't look like he really did much else. A passing accuracy of 58% as well :shock: Got his one cross in compared to McCleary who had 9. In fact the right side put in 17 balls, while the left side only five. Whoscored has him level with Williams as an overall rating, and only better than Hector.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Mar 2015 20:10

kwik-silva One key pass today and fouled thrice, but doesn't look like he really did much else. A passing accuracy of 58% as well :shock: Got his one cross in compared to McCleary who had 9. In fact the right side put in 17 balls, while the left side only five. Whoscored has him level with Williams as an overall rating, and only better than Hector.

That's just stats. Stats lie, apparently

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Mar 2015 10:15

Snowball also said (in February 2009) that he would be a premiership player and would eventually out-score Doyle

I'd call that pretty-damn good predicting especially when I was up against this:

Hoop Blah = Hilarious… Long isn't as good a player as Lita. However, for some of his time here he's been the more effective of the two because Coppell has seemingly managed to get the best out of him (which still doesn't equate to much in my eyes). Lita on the other hand has rarely played to his full potential because we've been lucky enough to two forwards playing better than him on a regular basis and he's not the type of player to deal well with that situation.

Although I still don't want to go over old ground I stand by that post totally (made in Jan 2009 on a different thread by the way...how much time did you spend trying to find something to back up your statement?).

At the time Lita was the better player but his time was up at the club and he'd just been out on loan at Norwich and scored 9 goals in 16 starts. Long was still running around to little effect and coming off the bench most of the time which was the right thing at that stage in his career and development.

He's still made more of his talents than I expected him to though.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Mar 2015 10:47

I can definitely see the argument for Lita being more talented than Long, just as Drenthe was more talented than McAnuff. Long would never be able to score some of the goals Lita has scored. He just doesn't strike a ball as well. But he's faster, more focused, more determined, more composed. I know who I'd rather have up front for us now, and it isn't the player voted second best U21 in Europe.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Mar 2015 13:12

SCIAG I can definitely see the argument for Lita being more talented than Long, just as Drenthe was more talented than McAnuff. Long would never be able to score some of the goals Lita has scored. He just doesn't strike a ball as well. But he's faster, more focused, more determined, more composed. I know who I'd rather have up front for us now, and it isn't the player voted second best U21 in Europe.

I don't think I have ever tried to argue that Long has serious ball skills,
but "talent" is never the issue. How many famous footballers have said
they knew X and Y and Z who had three times their talent but didn't have
the balls, or the work ethic to ever make it big?

Lita was on a steady downward path IMO, from 205/6 and now age 30
he's in League 1 scoring 2 goals in 1070 minutes

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 24 Mar 2015 12:44

This page is exactly why I'm so loathed to open threads that are anything more then 2-3 pages long. oxf*rd hell :|

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 24 Mar 2015 15:24

SCIAG I can definitely see the argument for Lita being more talented than Long, just as Drenthe was more talented than McAnuff. Long would never be able to score some of the goals Lita has scored. He just doesn't strike a ball as well. But he's faster, more focused, more determined, more composed. I know who I'd rather have up front for us now, and it isn't the player voted second best U21 in Europe.

Bit of an obvious answer if one had to chosen now, it wouldn't be if it was a Lita at the very top of his game though.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Mar 2015 17:32

WestRoyal

Bit of an obvious answer if one had to chosen now, it wouldn't be if it was a Lita at the very top of his game though.

Which year would that be?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Mar 2015 19:07

WestRoyal

Lita was only ever at the very top of his game for a month or two. Long's scored more goals in a Championship season and a Premier League season, so I'd think you'd have a good case for saying that Long at his best is a better striker than Lita at his best.

Royal212

by Royal212 » 24 Mar 2015 20:58

SCIAG
WestRoyal

Lita was only ever at the very top of his game for a month or two. Long's scored more goals in a Championship season and a Premier League season, so I'd think you'd have a good case for saying that Long at his best is a better striker than Lita at his best.

Agreed. Long was a major factor in us reaching the play off final. Was also a massive team player and put in a real shift when required.

881 posts