BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Weekend Football

by BROB0T » 07 Jan 2022 12:46

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
Franchise FC Change the manager but same old, same old with the players

Almost suggests that the manager isn’t/wasn’t the primary problem

They have a core group of players who have attitude issues. Varane, Fernandes, Ronaldo and Pogba are all huge personalities who tend to down tools when the going gets tough. All of them are elite level footballers but only when they want to be, thats the issue for me. They need to invest in younger, hungrier players and maybe just have Fernandes remain. You can afford a luxury player when they are surrounded by 10 other players with the right attitude and going in the right direction.

Would add that their transfer strategy is bizarre too. Questioned the signing of Sancho as someone who is unlikely to suit the nature of the Prem and he’s been so disappointing. VDB also. Ronaldo hasn’t delivered but a lot of people could see that coming

Greenwood is one of the best natural finishers I’ve seen for someone at such a young age. Really think they should persevere with him up top rather than playing out wide

How many United games do you actually watch? I watch every single one, which is why I keep questioning why you get United so wrong

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Jan 2022 14:56

Wycombe-sunderland match was an absolute corker

Finished 3-3, with two injury time goals
36 attempts
17 on target
Goal-line clearances galore

Just two teams going at it end to end. Great watch

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Jan 2022 22:55

BROB0T
URZZZZ
NathStPaul They have a core group of players who have attitude issues. Varane, Fernandes, Ronaldo and Pogba are all huge personalities who tend to down tools when the going gets tough. All of them are elite level footballers but only when they want to be, thats the issue for me. They need to invest in younger, hungrier players and maybe just have Fernandes remain. You can afford a luxury player when they are surrounded by 10 other players with the right attitude and going in the right direction.

Would add that their transfer strategy is bizarre too. Questioned the signing of Sancho as someone who is unlikely to suit the nature of the Prem and he’s been so disappointing. VDB also. Ronaldo hasn’t delivered but a lot of people could see that coming

Greenwood is one of the best natural finishers I’ve seen for someone at such a young age. Really think they should persevere with him up top rather than playing out wide

How many United games do you actually watch? I watch every single one, which is why I keep questioning why you get United so wrong

Only their televised games :wink:

Thought you agreed with me that Rashford wasn’t very good?!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jan 2022 12:42

BROB0T
URZZZZ
NathStPaul They have a core group of players who have attitude issues. Varane, Fernandes, Ronaldo and Pogba are all huge personalities who tend to down tools when the going gets tough. All of them are elite level footballers but only when they want to be, thats the issue for me. They need to invest in younger, hungrier players and maybe just have Fernandes remain. You can afford a luxury player when they are surrounded by 10 other players with the right attitude and going in the right direction.

Ahh, that's why you're such a pain in the arse

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 09 Jan 2022 21:12

Wigan have asked the for the season to be extended as they are a few games behind due to coroners

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Jan 2022 21:21

Winston Biscuit Wigan have asked the for the season to be extended as they are a few games behind due to coroners

They’ve had deaths ? :shock: :shock:
No wonder they want the season extended

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 10 Jan 2022 05:30

How is this for making us feel old (and in my case) more depressed.

The grandson of Ian Wright and son of Shaun Wright-Phillips made his debut for Stoke today :shock:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jan 2022 22:05

I get England have a fair amount of depth up top of but surely Bowen will be worth consideration next time out? Another fantastic season from him

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 12 Jan 2022 23:08

URZZZZ I get England have a fair amount of depth up top of but surely Bowen will be worth consideration next time out? Another fantastic season from him

Certainly deserves it more then kane or rashford

But we all know that's not how the England team selection works :roll:

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 13 Jan 2022 03:10

URZZZZ I get England have a fair amount of depth up top of but surely Bowen will be worth consideration next time out? Another fantastic season from him

'greed!

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 13 Jan 2022 03:12

Simmops

I don't really rate Rashford as a footballer but his numbers for the past two have been pretty good
more consistent

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Jan 2022 10:25

BROB0T
Simmops

I don't really rate Rashford as a footballer but his numbers for the past two have been pretty good
more consistent

Agreed with that but then if Rashford keeps up his current form from this season, then he really doesn’t deserve a spot in the England squad. Still a couple of months until the next international break though, a lot can change by then

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Jan 2022 14:14

Fantastic player is Bowen, something of the Shane Longs about him though - really doesn't score enough goals for his obvious ability. 17 in 83 appearances now for West Ham, 5 in 21 in the PL this season.

Would agree he has earned consideration for the England squad though.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Jan 2022 14:29

could be wrong, but doesn't he play out wide for WH, whereas at Hull his goalmachine ways were helped by him being more central (a '2nd striker' as the kids say)?

I like Bowen as I was chatting with a top 4 only type armchair fan in the office 3 years back and he asked me who was good in the champ. Bowen was going through a crazy amount of goals at the time so I said him. WH bought him shortly after and he has been great. Fella at works seems to think I have some great insights into these things now, when in fact I just named the person scoring the most goals at the time 8)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 13 Jan 2022 14:42

Winston Biscuit could be wrong, but doesn't he play out wide for WH, whereas at Hull his goalmachine ways were helped by him being more central (a '2nd striker' as the kids say)?

I like Bowen as I was chatting with a top 4 only type armchair fan in the office 3 years back and he asked me who was good in the champ. Bowen was going through a crazy amount of goals at the time so I said him. WH bought him shortly after and he has been great. Fella at works seems to think I have some great insights into these things now, when in fact I just named the person scoring the most goals at the time 8)

Played wide at Hull IIRC

Bowen one side, Grosicki the other, they collectively tore apart defences. Both got their move to the Prem but hasn’t worked so well for Grosicki

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Jan 2022 14:52

URZZZZ
Winston Biscuit could be wrong, but doesn't he play out wide for WH, whereas at Hull his goalmachine ways were helped by him being more central (a '2nd striker' as the kids say)?

Played wide at Hull IIRC

Bowen one side, Grosicki the other, they collectively tore apart defences. Both got their move to the Prem but hasn’t worked so well for Grosicki

Just looked at his last handful of games in Dec 2019 before moving to WH https://www.google.com/search?q=hull+city+december+2019&client=firefox-b-e&ei=ajvgYeGeAueWxc8P2I6PmAY&ved=0ahUKEwjh-9qU_K71AhVnS_EDHVjHA2MQ4dUDCA0&uact=5&oq=hull+city+december+2019&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQghEKABOgcIABBHELADOggIABDkAhCwAzoKCC4QyAMQsAMQQzoECC4QQzoLCAAQgAQQsQMQgwE6DgguEIAEELEDEMcBEKMCOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARCjAjoECAAQQzoHCC4QsQMQQzoICC4QsQMQgwE6BwgAELEDEEM6CAguEIAEELEDOggIABCxAxCDAToLCC4QgAQQsQMQgwE6CAgAEIAEELEDOgUIABCABDoKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzoLCC4QgAQQxwEQrwE6BQguEIAEOgcIABCABBAKOgYIABAWEB46BwghEAoQoAE6CAghEBYQHRAeSgQIQRgASgQIRhgBUPQIWMwfYJEhaANwAngAgAGUAYgBuBSSAQQ2LjE3mAEAoAEByAEPwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz#sie=t;/m/02b2np;2;/m/0355pl;mt;fp;1;; (click each game and then lineup) and it looks like he moved around a fair bit, which I didn't realise. in his last 4 games he played as a 9, before that as a wide forward, the one before that as a 10 and the one before that as a right winger in a 4 man midfield

this is obv basing it on BBC reporter getting the formation right (which they often don't)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Jan 2022 14:54

I don't know why I posted that. I get annoyed when people think formations mean something. Grrr, i have become what I hate the most!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Jan 2022 14:56

I just wish I'd got on the Ben Brereton Diaz hype-train in the summer after his form for Chile. 20 goals in 24 games this season, he was 125/1 to be Championship top scorer (and rightly so, hadn't got past 7 goals in a season before), and there's apparently a few punters due huge wins if he can find a way past Mitrovic.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Jan 2022 15:03

Sanguine

I just wish I'd got on the Ben Brereton Diaz hype-train in the summer after his form for Chile. 20 goals in 24 games this season, he was 125/1 to be Championship top scorer (and rightly so, hadn't got past 7 goals in a season before), and there's apparently a few punters due huge wins if he can find a way past Mitrovic.

His is very clearly the name I am going to throw into convo with the Liverpool & Man Utd fan at work later this season as my 'one to watch', knowing full well they will have never heard of him and will think I have somehow used all my extensive knowledge and plucked him from the obscurity of the fooball pyramid based on having insight and a natural feel for these things (rather than him being obviously one of the best players just outside the PL already)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Jan 2022 09:39

Feels like he's been around forever, but he's only 22. :shock: I remember some hype around him at Forest when he was only 16 or 17.

Same with Ryan Sessegnon. Been around forever, but he's only 21 :shock:

6102 posts