Weekend Football

6235 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Jan 2023 11:29

at the same time Spurs were losing to Arsenal, Rennes were beating PSG in Ligue 1. That's Rennes, with on loan Spurs defender Joe Rodon playing in the middle of a back 3 who received huge praise after the game for keeping Messi & Neymar quiet

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Jan 2023 11:54

Conservative_dad
YorkshireRoyal99 Arsenal do look really good this time around and they've got some good depth in most areas as well now as well. Could maybe use another midfielder to come in and be competitive, Lokonga is a decent option for them but they could maybe use someone else as well to come if possible.

Depth? I thought their bench looked pretty thin

Not for me personally other than maybe the middle of the park where they only really had Lokonga. Could possibly argue CB but White and Tomiyasu can cover there alongside Holding, but the rest of their squad had quality on the bench. Not exactly struggling if you're able to bring the likes of Tierney, Lokonga, Smith-Rowe, Tomiyasu and Vieira off your bench who are thoroughly decent players.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jan 2023 14:03

YorkshireRoyal99
Conservative_dad
YorkshireRoyal99 Arsenal do look really good this time around and they've got some good depth in most areas as well now as well. Could maybe use another midfielder to come in and be competitive, Lokonga is a decent option for them but they could maybe use someone else as well to come if possible.

Not for me personally other than maybe the middle of the park where they only really had Lokonga. Could possibly argue CB but White and Tomiyasu can cover there alongside Holding, but the rest of their squad had quality on the bench. Not exactly struggling if you're able to bring the likes of Tierney, Lokonga, Smith-Rowe, Tomiyasu and Vieira off your bench who are thoroughly decent players.

Lokonga isn’t close to being enough for a backup. He struggled against Oxford last week and I believe has made one Prem start all season (coincides with Arsenal’s only defeat too)

The general consensus is that the middle of the park will be a huge worry with any injuries there as there is a huge gap between Xhaka/Partey and Elneny (who was injured yesterday) and then a huge gap between Elneny and Lokonga

I wouldn’t exactly call those players you’ve listed thoroughly
decent either tbf - it was very telling that Arteta only made one sub out of five against Newcastle in what was a big game

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Jan 2023 14:40

Lokonga doesn't look ready to me.

Elneny is ok but Arsenal's best alternative for central midfield might very well be Zinchenko. He tends to play more centrally for Ukraine IIRC.

Smith Rowe plays some inventive passes from further forward / wide, so he might be an option.

Bottom line is they need to sign someone (at least one) because square pegs in round holes are unlikely to be good enough (even if it's only a couple of games) to hold off City (who will surely up their game again now they've been stung) should Partey and / or Odegaard get injured. (Clumsy sentence but you know what I mean!)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Jan 2023 15:01

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99
Conservative_dad

Lokonga isn’t close to being enough for a backup. He struggled against Oxford last week and I believe has made one Prem start all season (coincides with Arsenal’s only defeat too)

The general consensus is that the middle of the park will be a huge worry with any injuries there as there is a huge gap between Xhaka/Partey and Elneny (who was injured yesterday) and then a huge gap between Elneny and Lokonga

I wouldn’t exactly call those players you’ve listed thoroughly
decent either tbf - it was very telling that Arteta only made one sub out of five against Newcastle in what was a big game

I've always thought there was promise with Lokonga, but having said that I haven't seen him much this season, probably owing to the fact he hasn't featured that much. They do need someone else to fill that squad out though in that position, but they seem to be prioritising a front man as Ferran Torres' name is being touted around.

I'd say they are all decent players and most would be good enough squad players at most of the other clubs challenging at this end of the table, say the traditional Big Six and then Newcastle. I suppose the only one's you could really argue are Man City and Liverpool, but I'd still take a couple of players from that bench on City and Liverpool's bench for sure, Tierney, Tomiyasu and possibly Smith-Rowe make both of their benches for me.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Jan 2023 15:41

Royal Rother Lokonga doesn't look ready to me.

Elneny is ok but Arsenal's best alternative for central midfield might very well be Zinchenko. He tends to play more centrally for Ukraine IIRC.

Smith Rowe plays some inventive passes from further forward / wide, so he might be an option.

Bottom line is they need to sign someone (at least one) because square pegs in round holes are unlikely to be good enough (even if it's only a couple of games) to hold off City (who will surely up their game again now they've been stung) should Partey and / or Odegaard get injured. (Clumsy sentence but you know what I mean!)

It sounds really daft and obviously I’m not going to dismiss his goal scoring record as it’s been nothing short of superb but I have seen snippets that Haaland’s contribution has somewhat been detrimental overall to the team

The role of the striker has somewhat varied in recent years in terms of a greater emphasis on dropping deep and linking up the player rather than being there just to score goals (reference Jesus for Arsenal)

Ronaldo at United fits the description perfectly in that numbers wise, he was clearly United’s best attacker last season but many people questioned his overall impact and given United’s change in form since he left, it’s certainly standing as true so far

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Jan 2023 16:17

URZZZZ

It sounds really daft and obviously I’m not going to dismiss his goal scoring record as it’s been nothing short of superb but I have seen snippets that Haaland’s contribution has somewhat been detrimental overall to the team

The role of the striker has somewhat varied in recent years in terms of a greater emphasis on dropping deep and linking up the player rather than being there just to score goals (reference Jesus for Arsenal)

Ronaldo at United fits the description perfectly in that numbers wise, he was clearly United’s best attacker last season but many people questioned his overall impact and given United’s change in form since he left, it’s certainly standing as true so far

Ironically, I actually think it was a case of City were playing a little bit safe against United, rather than putting it into the areas where he will cause the damage. I don't know if you've seen MOTD highlights but I thought they highlighted it quite well, you could see the space and the movement from Haaland, but ultimately the balls never came.

Sometimes I don't think it's a case of Haaland adapting to the team, but it's a bit of both and the team have to adapt to Haaland. I work with a City fan who also does say that the team seems to play "worse" with him in it or that they are over reliant on him and don't have anybody else who they can rely on to chip in, like a Foden, Mahrez, Grealish etc (despite Grealish coming into some goals recently).

I do think there is a degree of truth to it, but I also believe in playing to the strengths of your striker(s) and your best players, to which Haaland fits into both categories. If you want to get the best out of him, you need to give him it where he wants it. You can't always just manipulate the ball outwide and look to put balls into areas where he will poach, sometimes you do have to be brave, risk giving the ball away but trust the quality of their creative players to find those passes in behind that Haaland can run onto.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 16 Jan 2023 17:06

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Jan 2023 17:11

URZZZZ

A good point-City changed the way they played many years ago when , as an already successful team, they splashed out on Rodney Marsh and it upset the way that they had played previously.

As for Arsenal, they looked very good in the first half yesterday (didn't see the second half) as Spurs generally sat back and if they get through the upcoming fixtures without losing to the Manchester clubs they could go on to win the league.
Partey has (along with some others) become a big player in that team.
I wonder why Martyn Tyler didn't comment on why he was being booed every time he touched the ball. :wink:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Jan 2023 20:00

Chelsea really are a vile repulsive club/circus. I really hope Potter gets the boot or walks......for his own good. Those c*nts don't deserve him.
The hijacking of the Mudryk typifies them. The clincher was a 7and a half year deal they offered him apparently, there was little difference in transfer fee or salary. 7 and a half years, I thought Ron Gourley was bad, if he turns out to be like most other signings of theirs they will have another Winston Bogard...

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Jan 2023 20:00

Chelsea really are a vile repulsive club/circus. I really hope Potter gets the boot or walks......for his own good. Those c*nts don't deserve him.
The hijacking of the Mudryk typifies them. The clincher was a 7and a half year deal they offered him apparently, there was little difference in transfer fee or salary. 7 and a half years, I thought Ron Gourley was bad, if he turns out to be like most other signings of theirs they will have another Winston Bogard...

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Jan 2023 20:28

You can say that again

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Jan 2023 20:50

URZZZZ

Interesting, I said something very similar after the game (although perhaps with a reverse take on it to yours) - posted it somewhere, not here by the looks of it.

He makes loads of runs where a ball over the top might have let him run through on goal, but City just don’t seem to see / exploit those opportunities. Or maybe the style of short passes to fashion openings (De Bruyne aside) is so ingrained they just aren’t prepared to deliver those sorts of balls, most of which, to be realistic, would not find Haaland. Pep may need to adapt his instructions a bit.

He is so quick and strong they really should (at the very least) be mixing it up and play balls over the top for him on occasion. Ok, that’s not their way but, although he will still score loads from a few yards out, I think he could quickly get frustrated with the lack of service. He is more than a short-range finisher.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Jan 2023 19:44

Someone at BBC playing sexytime noises over live match of the day :lol:

https://twitter.com/PINDERLFC94/status/1615432962329174035?t=9e0HEy6IhtHp1HPKeJjM9g&s=19

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 17 Jan 2023 19:48

Sounded like brobots mum last night etc etc :wink:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 17 Jan 2023 19:59

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Jan 2023 21:50

I was just about to post how shit Olise looks :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 19 Jan 2023 06:47

Poor old Spurofls fans in a bit of a dilemma tonight.
Do they want to beat City? This will help the Gooners
Do they want to roll over and fall further behind the top teams

Ooohhh! Funny as oxf*rd

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Jan 2023 15:07

feels like the longest season ever! only just reaching the halfway point now. mentz

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 19 Jan 2023 15:36

Winston Biscuit feels like the longest season ever! only just reaching the halfway point now. mentz

There are still missed games for certain teams as well. City have to play Arsenal twice still

6235 posts