The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8821 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Snowflake Royal » 24 May 2024 13:04

BRO_BOT
Snowflake Royal
Brogue it will be interesting to see if Parky gets some approaches this summer if there are big moves in the manager market. if for instance, McKenna goes to Brighton, and Edwards goes to Ipswich, would a club like Luton look to parky? He's got to be hot property. 5 promotions under his belt now, from what I can gather he is second only to Neil Warnock for promotions in the EFL. Will Parky think he's taken Wrexham as far as they can go? or is there unfinished business for him still.

Wrexham basically have a Championship budget, so on the one hand he should fancy another promotion.

On the other hand when he dipped into the Play Offs this season the Wrexham fans wanted him sacked, and two promotions in two years is going to be asking a hell of a lot of your squad to keep stepping up, and even Wrexham can't afford to buy most of a new squad.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him sacked by Xmas.

Any ideas as to why certain teams out/underperform following promotion? Had a brief look (i.e. not much beyond identifying teams)

Any ideas as to why certain teams out/underperform? With Reading FC's 2004/5/6 squad, I just think they were that good. A mid prem team playing in the Champs. Then you have a team like Ipswich who came second in both promotions so it's not like they blew the league away

Is it down to the manager or a massive element of luck in terms of recruitment/injuries/whatevs. By luck I mean they assembled the squad in the lower division and it has massively outperformed fan expectation

It's a very trite answer, but I think it has merit. It's a 46 game season involving 23 other teams. Luck and circumstance plays a huge part. Especially in a highly competitive and relatively evenly balanced league like the Championship certainly used to be.

Injuries, illness, loss of form, playing teams at the wrong/right time, all have a big impact.

Of course you won't see that much in top flights because they're such uneven playing fields, skewed totally towards to domination of a handful.

You look at the differences between the 04/05 Reading squad and 05/06 one and there's actualy a lot of key players added.

Lita, Doyle, Hunt, Gunnarsson for a start, all had a pretty huge impact. Lita and Doyle alone was about 30 goals.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 May 2024 13:10

Xavi reportedly gone from Barca

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 24 May 2024 13:11

BRO_BOT
Snowflake Royal
Brogue it will be interesting to see if Parky gets some approaches this summer if there are big moves in the manager market. if for instance, McKenna goes to Brighton, and Edwards goes to Ipswich, would a club like Luton look to parky? He's got to be hot property. 5 promotions under his belt now, from what I can gather he is second only to Neil Warnock for promotions in the EFL. Will Parky think he's taken Wrexham as far as they can go? or is there unfinished business for him still.

Wrexham basically have a Championship budget, so on the one hand he should fancy another promotion.

On the other hand when he dipped into the Play Offs this season the Wrexham fans wanted him sacked, and two promotions in two years is going to be asking a hell of a lot of your squad to keep stepping up, and even Wrexham can't afford to buy most of a new squad.

Any ideas as to why certain teams out/underperform following promotion? Had a brief look (i.e. not much beyond identifying teams)

Any ideas as to why certain teams out/underperform? With Reading FC's 2004/5/6 squad, I just think they were that good. A mid prem team playing in the Champs. Then you have a team like Ipswich who came second in both promotions so it's not like they blew the league away

Is it down to the manager or a massive element of luck in terms of recruitment/injuries/whatevs. By luck I mean they assembled the squad in the lower division and it has massively outperformed fan expectation

Momentum.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 24 May 2024 13:25

Snowflake Royal
BRO_BOT
Snowflake Royal Wrexham basically have a Championship budget, so on the one hand he should fancy another promotion.

It's a very trite answer, but I think it has merit. It's a 46 game season involving 23 other teams. Luck and circumstance plays a huge part. Especially in a highly competitive and relatively evenly balanced league like the Championship certainly used to be.

Injuries, illness, loss of form, playing teams at the wrong/right time, all have a big impact.

Of course you won't see that much in top flights because they're such uneven playing fields, skewed totally towards to domination of a handful.

You look at the differences between the 04/05 Reading squad and 05/06 one and there's actualy a lot of key players added.

Lita, Doyle, Hunt, Gunnarsson for a start, all had a pretty huge impact. Lita and Doyle alone was about 30 goals.

May have got my seasons mixed up a bit there with RFC. I think I meant 05/06/07 seasons (promotion and prem)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 May 2024 13:32

BRO_BOT
Snowflake Royal
BRO_BOT

May have got my seasons mixed up a bit there with RFC. I think I meant 05/06/07 seasons (promotion and prem)

Well in that case, yes on 05/06 we basically already had a PL squad when we got promoted.

We finished the previous season with Sidwell touted as the best player outside the PL. Kitson as arguably the best striker outside the PL, Shorey as arguably the best defender outside the PL, then added the best young striker from L1 and one of the best ten midfielders(outside Reading) in the Championship to sit on our bench.

We basically whiffed promotion the previous year because of an inexplicable loss of form at Xmas where we lost 3-0 three times in a row.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 May 2024 14:09

Snowflake Royal
BRO_BOT
Snowflake Royal It's a very trite answer, but I think it has merit. It's a 46 game season involving 23 other teams. Luck and circumstance plays a huge part. Especially in a highly competitive and relatively evenly balanced league like the Championship certainly used to be.

Well in that case, yes on 05/06 we basically already had a PL squad when we got promoted.

We finished the previous season with Sidwell touted as the best player outside the PL. Kitson as arguably the best striker outside the PL, Shorey as arguably the best defender outside the PL, then added the best young striker from L1 and one of the best ten midfielders(outside Reading) in the Championship to sit on our bench.

We basically whiffed promotion the previous year because of an inexplicable loss of form at Xmas where we lost 3-0 three times in a row.

4D chess from SSC
He knew we would set record the following year :wink:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 May 2024 14:32

Guardian reporting that Ten Hag will be sacked after the cup final

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 May 2024 15:27

I'm sure the club are delighted that broke the day before the match

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 24 May 2024 16:13

Winston Biscuit Guardian reporting that Ten Hag will be sacked after the cup final

I assume United do that with all their double barreled surnamed managers

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 May 2024 16:18

For as much as I would like to see McKenna stay at Ipswich, I would also like to see Man Utd still their pursuit of 'names' and go for a young exciting manager that has links to the club, like McKenna

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 24 May 2024 16:55

Winston Biscuit For as much as I would like to see McKenna stay at Ipswich, I would also like to see Man Utd still their pursuit of 'names' and go for a young exciting manager that has links to the club, like McKenna

How the fcuk do you respect the former under-18s coach?

It's the same leaks under Inneos, nothing has changed.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 May 2024 16:56

BRO_BOT
Winston Biscuit For as much as I would like to see McKenna stay at Ipswich, I would also like to see Man Utd still their pursuit of 'names' and go for a young exciting manager that has links to the club, like McKenna

I assume by being a professional? Maybe that is something which is lacking at Utd and why basically the whole squad is up for sale?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 May 2024 16:59

Credit to them if they do appoint him, could do with some English/British managers getting top jobs in the PL (and I suppose the United gig is still a top job :wink: ). The big issue though is the "billy big bollox" players that they have as they'll see him as a nobody, so if he can't get their respect and belief from the off then the whole lot will very likely quickly sink without trace but then I suppose that would be seen as maintaining the status quo at United so there's really nothing to lose for them.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 24 May 2024 17:05

Hendo
BRO_BOT

I assume by being a professional? Maybe that is something which is lacking at Utd and why basically the whole squad is up for sale?

You can't choose what you believe. McKenna has come second with Ipswich twice. EDIT: Also, there were a lot of leaks about his schoolmasterly ways and how poor his sessions were

The whole squad is up for sale because it's a mish-mash of different managers players. We've spent a billion, on fooking what! Let's do it all again. I always back the manager (until it becomes untenable) and if McKenna or Tommy Tickles comes in I'll be behind them but 4fs...maybe changing managers all the time doesn't work.

I also reckon there have been no leaks with the Inneos #lads as they've been working away but at some time they've had to chat with the United #lads to let them know what's happening...and fcuking bonjour, leak city!!
Last edited by BRO_BOT on 24 May 2024 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 24 May 2024 17:17

Sutekh

Credit to them if they do appoint him, could do with some English/British managers getting top jobs in the PL (and I suppose the United gig is still a top job :wink: ). The big issue though is the "billy big bollox" players that they have as they'll see him as a nobody, so if he can't get their respect and belief from the off then the whole lot will very likely quickly sink without trace but then I suppose that would be seen as maintaining the status quo at United so there's really nothing to lose for them.

ETH had ridiculous numbers at Ajax scoring over a hundred goals while letting about 20 in. Got them to the CL semi-final. He was basically what Alonso is now (flavor of the month)

It is the players, all the fans know it's the players, I have several posts on here listing about a dozen players who can pack their bags and fcuk off. Under a new manager, those players will be given time. They may even have a purple patch and everyone will be "see, it was the coaching". They might even get to third and a few finals.

Few managers have had to deal with the amount of shit ETH has. Sancho, Ronaldo, Mason and Anthony's off-field problems. The sale of the club being delayed for so long and all the spaculation that goes with that. Because they were selling they didn't buy anyone in Jan even though we desperately needed defenders.

40% of ETH transfers have been 'frees' or loans...we had Weghorst as our main striker 4fs. Utd top the injury list (time missed). No LB or CBs for long periods.

I can understand Inneos wanting their own man and it will be the start of the responsibility being theirs if they appoint him
Last edited by BRO_BOT on 24 May 2024 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 24 May 2024 17:18

If you could choose any manager for Reading who would you go with? Chuck out a few names

(doesn't have to be realistic, Pep etc)

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 24 May 2024 17:29

So Mr Useless ETH gets the boot.

Only the 6 months too late.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 May 2024 17:31

BRO_BOT
Hendo
BRO_BOT

You can't choose what you believe. McKenna has come second with Ipswich twice. EDIT: Also, there were a lot of leaks about his schoolmasterly ways and how poor his sessions were

The whole squad is up for sale because it's a mish-mash of different managers players. We've spent a billion, on fooking what! Let's do it all again. I always back the manager (until it becomes untenable) and if McKenna or Tommy Tickles comes in I'll be behind them but 4fs...maybe changing managers all the time doesn't work.

My McKenna post is on the basis that ETH goes, which is now being heavily rumoured

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 May 2024 17:32

BRO_BOT

If you could choose any manager for Reading who would you go with? Chuck out a few names

(doesn't have to be realistic, Pep etc)

Klopp's free, he would be nice.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 24 May 2024 17:34

BRO_BOT
Hendo
BRO_BOT

I always back the manager (until it becomes untenable) and if McKenna or Tommy Tickles comes in I'll be behind them

Unless it's Gareth Southgate then I may take a bit of a break from watching them

8821 posts