Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Royals second if Pompey fold

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Mar 2012 14:41

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 01 Mar 2012 14:57

I don't want Pompey to fold. It would be bad for football if they went out of business. Pompey is a great club at the end of the day with heritage and traditions. It would be very very sad if they had to leave the football league.

We don't need them to fold for us to climb above the Hammers. I think we will get above them anyway come what may without the need for Pompey to have to go out of business.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 01 Mar 2012 15:06

There is no way this will happen.

I will gladly eat my hat if they do fold. Someone will bail them out.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Mar 2012 15:10

Top Flight I don't want Pompey to fold. It would be bad for football if they went out of business. Pompey is a great club at the end of the day with heritage and traditions. It would be very very sad if they had to leave the football league.

We don't need them to fold for us to climb above the Hammers. I think we will get above them anyway come what may without the need for Pompey to have to go out of business.

Rubbish.

They have basically been cheating every other team - including us - for Years, by paying salaries to players they couldn't afford.

One small example; a couple of seasons ago, Brendan wanted to buy Tommy Smith from Watford. The 2 clubs agreed a fee, and we agreed personal terms with the player. At the last minute, Pompey came in and offered him 3 times the salary, so he went there.

Consequence? We didn't get the striker that could have scored the goals that meant we wouldn't have been in the relegation dogfight so Brendan wouldn't have lost his job, gone to Swansea and taken them up (instead, possibly, taking US up). Smith is of course, scoring for QPR in the Prem now.

So absolutely NO sympathy for Pompey.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 01 Mar 2012 15:15

IN for Portsmouth Pirates FC away in a pre season friendly

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Mar 2012 15:21

What will be really annoying is if we play Pompey next week and lose a couple of players with long term injury - only for the points to be expunged as they don't finish the season.

I think FL should seek assurances that they will finish the season of they should be liquidated now - not in a month's time.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 01 Mar 2012 15:34

Nobody want's a club to fold but in the interest of the game and the future of the game, we need someone to fold to send a message about finances!!

CentiaRoyal

by CentiaRoyal » 01 Mar 2012 16:34

The whole affair stinks, they have been cheating their way through football. Cheating the public through not paying taxes and, to top it off, the next couple of parachute payments are being used to pay back their former owner! Unfortunately for Pompey fans, they must go bankrupt, start afresh and work their way back up

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 01 Mar 2012 16:40

Obviously the points are nice, but the real issue is they've been cheating.

Someone needs to go out of business to show that you can't run football clubs like that, otherwise the vicious cycle of clubs spending beyond their means continues. This is the kind of thing that proves the SJM way.

Of course you can feel sorry for their fans, since it wasn't their decision to spend money they didn't have.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 01 Mar 2012 16:50

mr_number Obviously the points are nice, but the real issue is they've been cheating.

Someone needs to go out of business to show that you can't run football clubs like that, otherwise the vicious cycle of clubs spending beyond their means continues. This is the kind of thing that proves the SJM way.

Of course you can feel sorry for their fans, since it wasn't their decision to spend money they didn't have.

Exactly, we've been at a competitative disadvantage selling players like Sig and Long to stay financially viable and Portsmouth haven't bothered to do when they clearly should have been.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 01 Mar 2012 16:53

rfc2001 Nobody want's a club to fold

Just a little naive I feel.

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Portsmouth fc

by Badger Finger » 01 Mar 2012 17:22

I will happily walk round the ground collecting 4 pence off people to give to help Portsmouth...

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Mar 2012 17:24

Badger Finger I will happily walk round the ground collecting 4 pence off people to give to help Portsmouth...

And I'll happily throw mine at you :wink:

Seriously, they've cheated for years, been caught out - they must be thrown out if there is any natural justice at all.

Who knows who would be in the Premier League or Championship in their place had they not cheated ?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 01 Mar 2012 17:25

Mr Angry
Top Flight I don't want Pompey to fold. It would be bad for football if they went out of business. Pompey is a great club at the end of the day with heritage and traditions. It would be very very sad if they had to leave the football league.

Rubbish.

They have basically been cheating every other team - including us - for Years, by paying salaries to players they couldn't afford.

One small example; a couple of seasons ago, Brendan wanted to buy Tommy Smith from Watford. The 2 clubs agreed a fee, and we agreed personal terms with the player. At the last minute, Pompey came in and offered him 3 times the salary, so he went there.

Consequence? We didn't get the striker that could have scored the goals that meant we wouldn't have been in the relegation dogfight so Brendan wouldn't have lost his job, gone to Swansea and taken them up (instead, possibly, taking US up). Smith is of course, scoring for QPR in the Prem now.

So absolutely NO sympathy for Pompey.

And it turned out Watford were one of the clubs they owed money to in the last administration--so they never paid up. Some nobbers criticised our people at the time of the Smith transfer; but in fact we were the only one of the three parties that didn't negotiate like wide boys, and the only one ruled by market value.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 01 Mar 2012 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Mar 2012 17:26

facaldaqui And it turned out Watford were one of the clubs they owed money to in the last administration--so they never paid up. Some nobbers criticised our people at the time of the Smith transfer; but in fact we were the only one of the three parties that didn't negotiate like wide boys, and the only one with actual money.

Don't Watford count as a preferred creditor on the football creditor rule ?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 01 Mar 2012 17:31

Franchise FC
facaldaqui And it turned out Watford were one of the clubs they owed money to in the last administration--so they never paid up. Some nobbers criticised our people at the time of the Smith transfer; but in fact we were the only one of the three parties that didn't negotiate like wide boys, and the only one with actual money.

Don't Watford count as a preferred creditor on the football creditor rule ?

I think they got their money in the end after the football authorities withheld Portsmouth's parachute instalment to pay them and other football creditors. What I meant was that after the deal was done, Watford weren't paid--as they would have been by us--so Smith was another player playing at Pompey without being paid for. To be fair, he scored few for them, so I'm sort of glad we didn't get him

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 01 Mar 2012 17:49

During the last administration, I didn't want Pompey to fold: I felt relegation, to be inevitably followed by another relegation, would be punishment enough. I didn't want a well-known club from a big town to evaporate. But this time, I do want them to fold, because they weren't hit hard enough last time: not only did they easily stay in this division, they still have the players to do so this year, and yet never have they shown signs of being able to pay players of this standard from their turnstile income. Yep, it's cheating. They thought they could play the system again and if things went pear just shed 80p in the pound of their debts and start again--forget Gaydamak and Chanrai, no one likes em anyway, and it's a shame about the smaller creditors and sacked staff but that's life. They did not learn their lesson before and so the lesson now must be liquidation. A new club in Portsmouth will soon rise again and will give the fans something cleaner to support: it would be a good thing.

They remind me of a nut stall in the Butts Centre, when I was a kid, which my sister's friend was the teen "manageress" of. Then she started not being paid and worked for nothing on promises. The stall was then renamed from "Victoria Fruit and Nut" to something like "Fruit and Nut Stall" and the girl was asked to be manageress again but to forgo her owed wages. My sister's friend was then paid for a bit again before the wages stopped being paid once more and even she saw reason and left.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 01 Mar 2012 18:03, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2012 17:56

Badger Finger I will happily walk round the ground collecting 4 pence off people to give to help Portsmouth...

I'll happily walk round the ground asking for contributions of 16p per person to pay directly to the creditors Pompey are welching on for the second time.

JR

Pompey going bust could help us go up

by JR » 01 Mar 2012 17:58

Just heard Pompey administrator on radio - very real chance they could go in to liquidation before end of season.

This would most likely mean all results against them would be expunged - meaning West Sham lose 6, Saints lose 1 and we lose 0!

Pompey could finally be good news for us!

1559 posts