Racism in football (John Terry spin-off)

1181 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: Racism in football (John Terry spin-off)

by No Fixed Abode » 16 Oct 2012 19:44

winchester_royal
winchester_royal Vile scenes in Serbia as the U21's win out there.

Racial abuse, Serbian players attacking England staff, missiles being chucked at the English players, all sorts.

Chuck 'em out Fifa.

Whilst I agree. Jason Roberts is going off on one again about it.

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 16 Oct 2012 21:54

winchester_royal
Zaretsky UEFA but still

Fifa world cup m8

UEFA U21 European Championships m8

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Oct 2012 22:23

Zaretsky
winchester_royal
Zaretsky UEFA but still

Fifa world cup m8

Like being banned from that will make f*ck all difference to anyone.

Hit them where it hurts.

Divvy

by Divvy » 17 Oct 2012 00:07

Give them 12 months of playing behind closed doors, that way they lose income and support. Their respective FA's have to take responsibility then.

UEFA comment on how 'well-supported' Serb U21s were this evening, omit to mention racism/violence. Slight oversight... This is why nothing changes. Eastern Europe and the Spanish love their racism.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 17 Oct 2012 07:43

Ideal He signed Nii Lamptey for three different clubs.....Lamptey was the worst excuse for a footballer

Only 3? I tried to sign him for every single club I managed on Champ Manager 93/94 - utter legend! :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 08:48

winchester_royal
Zaretsky
winchester_royal Fifa world cup m8

Like being banned from that will make f*ck all difference to anyone.

Hit them where it hurts.

Think the point he's making is that they were playing in the UEFA U21s and as a member of UEFA playing in one of their competitions it will probably be down to them to take any action.

It's going to come down to Platini to follow through on his previous warning to them, but they could easily find themselves kicked out of all international tournaments for a period of time.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Oct 2012 09:30

The likes of Clark Carlisle & Jason Roberts spouting off about being horried about this happening in "this day and age" had me shouting at the radio this morning.

Last night had pfuck all to do with something as "minor" a simple racism in football in the 21st century. The problems in Serbia go way deeper than that, and such a clear lack of understanding just shows them up for the idiots they are.

Shame as they always seem the more inteliigent and eloquent of footballers, but then I guess there's not much of a comparison there.

and ftr, Serbia should have been banned years ago, and part of me hopes this ban will be massive. However I fear exclusion will just make the problems in that country even worse. For Clark Carlisle to compare it to how the UK sorted out its act with regard to hooliganism is just laughable

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 17 Oct 2012 09:33

John Madejski's Wallet The likes of Clark Carlisle & Jason Roberts spouting off about being horried about this happening in "this day and age" had me shouting at the radio this morning.

Last night had pfuck all to do with something as "minor" a simple racism in football in the 21st century. The problems in Serbia go way deeper than that, and such a clear lack of understanding just shows them up for the idiots they are.

Shame as they always seem the more inteliigent and eloquent of footballers, but then I guess there's not much of a comparison there.

and ftr, Serbia should have been banned years ago, and part of me hopes this ban will be massive. However I fear exclusion will just make the problems in that country even worse. For Clark Carlisle to compare it to how the UK sorted out its act with regard to hooliganism is just laughable

Spot on post.
Last night's events in Serbia are nothing to do with racism in football.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 09:39

Agreed for the most part, but there is still a racial element to it. That shouldn't just be ignored.

It's nothing to do with the racism in football that they're constantly preaching about though and that the FA and the rest of English football have done wonders to address.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Oct 2012 09:45

The behaviour of the crowd as nothing to do with Racism IN football.

But haseverything to do with a society that is quite frankly out of touch with our values. However if it comes down to playing in our competitions the Serbian FA may have to get used to playing in empty stadiums at home as no one deserves to be treated like that.

The actions of their players getting violent and kicking and punching at black England players is something that UEFA does need to really need to look at, what was that all about, because it I don't believe it was just because Danny Rose kicked a ball at the crowd.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 17 Oct 2012 10:05

Trouble in any form was always on the cards over there yesterday, especially if we won. You only had to hear the Karadzic comments at his trial earlier the same day to know that their region is full of bladder inflating psychos.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 10:13

ZacNaloen The behaviour of the crowd as nothing to do with Racism IN football.

But haseverything to do with a society that is quite frankly out of touch with our values. However if it comes down to playing in our competitions the Serbian FA may have to get used to playing in empty stadiums at home as no one deserves to be treated like that.

The actions of their players getting violent and kicking and punching at black England players is something that UEFA does need to really need to look at, what was that all about, because it I don't believe it was just because Danny Rose kicked a ball at the crowd.

Good summary to be fair, although they weren't just kicking and punching black players, it was pretty indiscriminate from what I saw. There is a great picture in one of the papers (online version at least) of a middle age Serbian official seemingly headbutting one of our middle aged staff.

As you say, our values here are just different and we've done a lot in our society to move away from racism. Other parts of the world haven't and seemingly don't really want to. We, or FIFA and UEFA more to the point I suppose, need to decide if they want to make a stand on this issue and have all competing nations aligned to the same principles. Part of me thinks that we can't really expect everyone to think the same as us or run their countries in the same way and so we have to accept different types of abuse IF we're willing to compete against these countries.

Obviously UEFA and FIFA should be enforcing the rules they've stated and dragging these countries into line. But it's not really down to football to address political and social issues on such a grand scale. I can only see one way out for them at the moment, and that's some form of ban for Serbia (I don't even think behind closed doors games for 12 months would be a strong enough sanction).

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Oct 2012 10:23

Until the issue with the wider society is massively changed, and that could take a generation, I'm not sure how the country can host games without the crowd putting the Serbian FA in the shit, as almost every western european team features black players. It must be very difficult for them, trying to run a national team tbf

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 Oct 2012 10:25

Hoop Blah But isn't one of the points made on this thread that those minorities are represented in a reasonable proportion?

2.5% of league managers are from an ethnic minority. Wasn't it said that that's a proportionate number*?

By that logic are you expecting that about 50% of league managers should be women as they make up about 50% of the population?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 17 Oct 2012 11:02

ZacNaloen Until the issue with the wider society is massively changed, and that could take a generation, I'm not sure how the country can host games without the crowd putting the Serbian FA in the shit, as almost every western european team features black players. It must be very difficult for them, trying to run a national team tbf

^^^ This

I'm not sure excluding them would serve any real useful purpose. Serbia is f*cked and the only way it will ever pull itself out of the mire its in is by constant exposure to everyone else

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 17 Oct 2012 11:09

Hoop Blah
ZacNaloen The behaviour of the crowd as nothing to do with Racism IN football.

Good summary to be fair, although they weren't just kicking and punching black players, it was pretty indiscriminate from what I saw. There is a great picture in one of the papers (online version at least) of a middle age Serbian official seemingly headbutting one of our middle aged staff.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Oct 2012 11:15

Pretty poor. Has gone for the classic butt then at the last minute tried to perform a close-range Zidane. Shambles.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 Oct 2012 11:17

cmonurz Pretty poor. Has gone for the classic butt then at the last minute tried to perform a close-range Zidane. Shambles.

And that may be used by Serbia to try and demonstrate that this wasn't "racist".

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Oct 2012 11:28

Alexander Litvinenko
cmonurz Pretty poor. Has gone for the classic butt then at the last minute tried to perform a close-range Zidane. Shambles.

And that may be used by Serbia to try and demonstrate that this wasn't "racist".

Was thinking earlier that they might actually be in more trouble for the violence (on and off the pitch) than for the racist abuse.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 11:43

What sanctions were taken against Turkey (was it them?) when it all kicked off after a game a few years ago?

The one I'm thinking of involved, I think, Police getting involved in attacking the other team as well and was worse than last nights. Did they get away with it?

1181 posts