Re: Barca, Chelsea, United & Arsenal

by TheMaraudingDog » 06 May 2009 09:13

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 06 May 2009 09:33

TheMaraudingDog

:lol: at Beckham last night.

Fabio Capello and Beckham waiting in the Emirates VIP section after the match. Fergie stops and has a long chat with Capello, Beckham patiently waits. And waits. Waits a bit more. Fergie warmly embraces Capello, gives Beckham a quick pat on the shoulder and walks off. Beckham’s face was a picture.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 06 May 2009 09:51

Royal Rother
Victor Meldrew
Royal Rother It was plain wrong - terrible decision and no right of appeal. There's European Justice / Human Rights for ya!

There was no right of appeal for Spurs when that penalty was given FOR Man Utd at Old Trafford by Howard Webb which possibly affected the outcome of the Premiership title.
As The Man Utd people said at the time "what goes round comes around" and after all it didn't affect the result tonight.

I'm not sorry for Man Utd, I'm sorry for Fletcher - biggest night of his career taken away from him by incompetence and injustice.

Not incompetence if you read Graham Poll this morning-"he got a touch of the ball" doesn't actually come into it.
For a journeyman player like Fletcher it is a pity but that's how it goes.
BTW I believe that Man Utd have only ever been in 3 finals and have won all three(the first fully deserved and the other two fluked )which is a record unsurpassed by the big clubs in Europe such as Liverpool,Milan,Real Madrid etc who have all lost finals but of course they have been in so many more.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 06 May 2009 09:54

TheMaraudingDog
Victor Meldrew
Royal Rother It was plain wrong - terrible decision and no right of appeal. There's European Justice / Human Rights for ya!

There was no right of appeal for Spurs when that penalty was given FOR Man Utd at Old Trafford by Howard Webb which possibly affected the outcome of the Premiership title.
As The Man Utd people said at the time "what goes round comes around" and after all it didn't affect the result tonight.

Or when Palacios should have seen red. No doubt (as a Scouser) you brushed that decision under the carpet though.

The point was about penalties and not about other players being booked or sent off.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 May 2009 10:00

I think you'll find the original point was actually about the sending off :?

by 1960 » 06 May 2009 10:56

All this bollocks about touching the ball first is not relevant. If a player tackles another and the tackled player falls over the blocked ball it's not a foul. But if, on the follow-through, the player takes the other player out, as Fletcher did, it's a foul WHETHER OR NOT HE TOUCHED THE BALL. All the commentators and pundits discussing the affair totally ignored the fact that, after the ball had gone, Fletcher took both legs from under Fabregas, tripping him up and preventing him from chasing the ball. And noboby has even mentioned that Fletcher started by pulling Fabregas by the shoulder, a foul which the ref had given against an Arsenal player earlier.

To follow the logic of the apologisers, even Barton's assault on Alonso was legitimate. He got the ball first, so the fact that he slid on through and fouled him should not be taken into account- ball first, no foul. Absurd, of course.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 06 May 2009 10:59

If you win the ball and then trip the player up, its not a foul...

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 06 May 2009 11:01

What are you on about 1960? If a player gets ball then player in one movement it’s not a foul. If a player gets ball, then gets up and 5 seconds later gets the player then yes, it’s a foul but Fletcher’s tackle was all one movement. I

If it was a freekick every time a player got ball then player every tackle would result in a freekick.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 06 May 2009 11:04

TBM I think you'll find the original point was actually about the sending off :?

'greed

BR2 / VM spotted earlier:

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 06 May 2009 11:18

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 06 May 2009 11:20

Not a foul.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 06 May 2009 11:26

Refs,for all their faults,do know the rules of the game.
So Slammed and Dog read what Poll has to say in today's paper.
BTW Dog I like the picture and the clever inference but my point was that we were comparing penalty decisions and not sendings-off-Gomes did not get sent off.

Alivey

by Alivey » 06 May 2009 11:29

Neil Warnock is a certified ref, he knows what he is talking about too. :roll:

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 06 May 2009 11:35

BR2 Refs,for all their faults,do know the rules of the game.
BTW Dog I like the picture and the clever inference but my point was that we were comparing penalty decisions and not sendings-off-Gomes did not get sent off.

BR2 Refs,for all their faults,do know the rules of the game.

I’ve not read any paper today nor what Poll has to say. I’ve been playing regular 11 a side Sunday League competitive football for 15+years and seen quite a games to boot so I feel I have a decent enough grasp of the rules myself. It was never a foul, nor was Gomez.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 06 May 2009 11:38

He's Scottish, justice was done.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 06 May 2009 11:45

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 06 May 2009 11:47

Yes he won the ball BUT we had a clear view and replays - from where the ref was there was no way he could have seen Fletcher getting a touch on the ball and all he saw was the follow-through, which had he not touched the ball would have been a foul.

Anyone got a clip of the view the ref had?

boy1985

by boy1985 » 06 May 2009 11:50

TBF the ref could easily see the direction the ball moved. Unless Fabregas smacked it with his c*ck then it was clear Fletcher won the ball.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 06 May 2009 11:57

boy1985 TBF the ref could easily see the direction the ball moved. Unless Fabregas smacked it with his c*ck then it was clear Fletcher won the ball.

Disagree!

Trying to find a clip now!

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 06 May 2009 12:01

Was not a foul.

Though I do hate commentators & pundits with a passion who think they know the rules when they don't. My most hated is the 'he was the last man so he has to go' line that all pundits believe is a rule of the game.

350 posts