The generic transfer thread

10573 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The generic transfer thread

by South Coast Royal » 14 Aug 2024 11:49

On Strings
Sutekh LOLIVERP :lol: :lol: L, you really have to applaud FSG they really bring the comedy home every transfer window. They're the only other club in the 92 that have not signed anyone this window.

Klopp new what was coming and bolted at the right time. AS has absolutely no chance of top four this season IMO, and the fans will turn by xmas and vent at the wrong guy. We'll soon see the likes of VVD, TAA and Salah leg it!

"No chance of top 4"?

Tell me, apart from City and Arsenal who would be replacing Liverpool in the top 4?
Even if they don't make any signings I reckon one of the top 3 places is nailed on again.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 14 Aug 2024 13:35

South Coast Royal
On Strings
Sutekh LOLIVERP :lol: :lol: L, you really have to applaud FSG they really bring the comedy home every transfer window. They're the only other club in the 92 that have not signed anyone this window.

Klopp new what was coming and bolted at the right time. AS has absolutely no chance of top four this season IMO, and the fans will turn by xmas and vent at the wrong guy. We'll soon see the likes of VVD, TAA and Salah leg it!

"No chance of top 4"?

Tell me, apart from City and Arsenal who would be replacing Liverpool in the top 4?
Even if they don't make any signings I reckon one of the top 3 places is nailed on again.

I'm not so sure of this. I'd be surprised if the transition of managers is seamless.

I've been told Slot has a similar style to Klopp so there may be some continuity

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Aug 2024 13:46

BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal
On Strings

"No chance of top 4"?

I'm not so sure of this. I'd be surprised if the transition of managers is seamless.

I've been told Slot has a similar style to Klopp so there may be some continuity

It may not be seamless but who do you and Strings think will push them out of the top 4?

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 14 Aug 2024 14:04

South Coast Royal
BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal
"No chance of top 4"?

It may not be seamless but who do you and Strings think will push them out of the top 4?

Utd fell from Champions to 6th following a poor transfer window. Third to fifth isn't such a jump when you consider this happened a few times under Klopp (22-23). The difference between LFC 21/22 and 22/23 was 25 points. Arsenal made the jump from 8th to 2nd that same season and have stayed there. Newcastle jumped from 11th to 4th

There's a chance Utd and Newcastle do better if they avoid the massive injury troubles they had last year. Maybe Spurs & Chelsea finally click with all the new signings they have made. Maybe Villa push on

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 14 Aug 2024 14:09

BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal
BRO_BOT

Utd fell from Champions to 6th following a poor transfer window. Third to fifth isn't such a jump when you consider this happened a few times under Klopp (22-23). The difference between LFC 21/22 and 22/23 was 25 points. Arsenal made the jump from 8th to 2nd that same season and have stayed there. Newcastle jumped from 11th to 4th

There's a chance Utd and Newcastle do better if they avoid the massive injury troubles they had last year. Maybe Spurs & Chelsea finally click with all the new signings they have made. Maybe Villa push on

I would take Liverpool's current squad (regardless of any new signings) over any of those but accept that I am biased.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 14 Aug 2024 14:15

South Coast Royal
BRO_BOT
South Coast Royal

I would take Liverpool's current squad (regardless of any new signings) over any of those but accept that I am biased.

I'd be inclined to agree with you but most teams have a couple of key players.

If they get injured the team doesn't perform as well (even Man City shat the bed without Rodri)

On Strings

by On Strings » 14 Aug 2024 14:46

South Coast Royal Tell me, apart from City and Arsenal who would be replacing Liverpool in the top 4?

3rd and 4th will be very open this season. Villa, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle will push Liverpool hard IMO. Salah likely going, and then others may want to jump ship too. Slot has huge boots to fill and little to no financial backing thus far. Wont take long for seasoned pro's to want out as well, especially for mad middle-east money in the twilight of their careers.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Aug 2024 15:20

On Strings
South Coast Royal Tell me, apart from City and Arsenal who would be replacing Liverpool in the top 4?

3rd and 4th will be very open this season. Villa, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle will push Liverpool hard IMO. Salah likely going, and then others may want to jump ship too. Slot has huge boots to fill and little to no financial backing thus far. Wont take long for seasoned pro's to want out as well, especially for mad middle-east money in the twilight of their careers.

Which is the other point pool fans have been making, nice new shiny manager and seemingly naff all financial backing for him yet lots of the youngsters, and they have some amazing talent in their youth system, are being sold or moved out on loans leaving him to work with last years "not quite good enough" squad. The most stupid thing that has really caused it all is the lack of a plan B. Slot plays with a double pivot and has already suggested that Endo should move on which basically leaves them struggling badly in that position yet FSG have again failed miserably to produce the finance when required and have stuck their heads back in the sand. Think they have enough to be able to get 3rd or 4th but it's going to be a hard battle for them as all other clubs seem to do what they can't and improve squads year on year. After 3 months off they haven't even talked to TAA or van Dijk or Salah about new deals, it's like they're under a transfer embargo! Latest now is to get rid of Diaz and agree a deal for Gordon (which is insane as, imo, Diaz is a much better player than Gordon) which may include Gomez and/or Bobby Clark as part exchange. No wonder some fans are none to happy up there.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Aug 2024 15:28

Fwiw, Slot's style isn't really that much Klopp's at all. It is more patient build-up, keeping the football, and working in triangles around the pitch. It's a little closer to Guardiola's City in that sense, and also in the sense that the press won't be as intensive.

But also in that context, not signing a new no.6 is absolute madness. Like Rodri at City, it is key to the whole thing working.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Aug 2024 15:35

Sanguine Fwiw, Slot's style isn't really that much Klopp's at all. It is more patient build-up, keeping the football, and working in triangles around the pitch. It's a little closer to Guardiola's City in that sense, and also in the sense that the press won't be as intensive.

But also in that context, not signing a new no.6 is absolute madness. Like Rodri at City, it is key to the whole thing working.

Agreed, it's not as if there aren't some quality players out there; Varela and the other Ederson are the two obvious alternatives to Zubi, then there's that highly rated Andre at Fluminese who Liverpool were actually supposedly chasing last summer. But because any plan B means spending serious cash it's play the ostrich and hope it all goes away with a few miracles.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Aug 2024 15:52

Sutekh
Sanguine Fwiw, Slot's style isn't really that much Klopp's at all. It is more patient build-up, keeping the football, and working in triangles around the pitch. It's a little closer to Guardiola's City in that sense, and also in the sense that the press won't be as intensive.

Agreed, it's not as if there aren't some quality players out there; Varela and the other Ederson are the two obvious alternatives to Zubi, then there's that highly rated Andre at Fluminese who Liverpool were actually supposedly chasing last summer. But because any plan B means spending serious cash it's play the ostrich and hope it all goes away with a few miracles.

Indeed. Or Adam Wharton. In fact, whilst Palace will slap a hefty price tag on him, I'm surprised no-one has gone in for him already. Surely, clearly, someone who will win a hell of a lot of England caps.

BRO_BOT
Hob Nob Regular

by BRO_BOT » 14 Aug 2024 18:29

Sutekh
On Strings

Which is the other point pool fans have been making, nice new shiny manager and seemingly naff all financial backing for him yet lots of the youngsters, and they have some amazing talent in their youth system, are being sold or moved out on loans leaving him to work with last years "not quite good enough" squad.

The most stupid thing that has really caused it all is the lack of a plan B. Slot plays with a double pivot and has already suggested that Endo should move on which basically leaves them struggling badly in that position yet FSG have again failed miserably to produce the finance when required and have stuck their heads back in the sand.

Think they have enough to be able to get 3rd or 4th but it's going to be a hard battle for them as all other clubs seem to do what they can't and improve squads year on year. After 3 months off they haven't even talked to TAA or van Dijk or Salah about new deals, it's like they're under a transfer embargo!

Latest now is to get rid of Diaz and agree a deal for Gordon (which is insane as, imo, Diaz is a much better player than Gordon) which may include Gomez and/or Bobby Clark as part exchange. No wonder some fans are none to happy up there.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Aug 2024 08:27

Rumours now rumbling in some quarters that Liverpool are going back in for Zubi and tempting him by saying they'll quadruple whatever wages Sociedad will pay (seems it comes out of Sociedad promising to match the wages Liverpool were offering but have so far failed to follow up on that promise). Liverpool are possibly becoming the most entertaining PL club in so many ways!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Aug 2024 09:11

Kalvin Phillips to join Ipswich on a season-long loan.

And this is another impact of FFC rules. Phillips surely has no future at City. But he is only two years into a six-year deal. So if City sold him (which would be for not a lot) they'd have to write down c. £30m of this transfer fee in this season's accounts.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Aug 2024 10:45

Sanguine Kalvin Phillips to join Ipswich on a season-long loan.

And this is another impact of FFC rules. Phillips surely has no future at City. But he is only two years into a six-year deal. So if City sold him (which would be for not a lot) they'd have to write down c. £30m of this transfer fee in this season's accounts.

I have always felt that it is not quite right for Premier League clubs to have loan deals, both in and out, with other Premier League clubs.
Also the concept of bringing a player in on loan for a season and then buying him (to appear in the following season's accounts) at the end of the season feels wrong in that you are improving your team for this season without actually buying the player for this season.

The growth of top clubs loaning young players to lower division clubs for experience has been a success IMHO .

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Aug 2024 13:55

South Coast Royal

I have always felt that it is not quite right for Premier League clubs to have loan deals, both in and out, with other Premier League clubs.
Also the concept of bringing a player in on loan for a season and then buying him (to appear in the following season's accounts) at the end of the season feels wrong in that you are improving your team for this season without actually buying the player for this season.

The growth of top clubs loaning young players to lower division clubs for experience has been a success IMHO .

Looks like Liverpool are about to do that, rumoured to be buying the Georgia no 1, Mamardashvili, from Valencia and then loaning him to Bournemouth for the season.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Aug 2024 14:51

Sutekh
South Coast Royal

Looks like Liverpool are about to do that, rumoured to be buying the Georgia no 1, Mamardashvili, from Valencia and then loaning him to Bournemouth for the season.

Supposedly in readiness for Alisson leaving end of this season. Don't know much of him, but he made more saves than anyone in La Liga last season, and kept 13 clean sheets for a team that finished 9th. They only conceded one more than Barcelona. If the above is true, Bournemouth could have a huge asset in goal for the season.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Aug 2024 14:56

Bournemouth have replaced Dominic Solanke with Evanilson. The Brazilian bears some resemblance to Hulk, and like Hulk, has impressed at Porto and earned a move to bigger things. He scored a goal every two games in Portugal, Bournemouth will want something similar for £40m.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 15 Aug 2024 17:16

Sanguine Bournemouth have replaced Dominic Solanke with Evanilson. The Brazilian bears some resemblance to Hulk, and like Hulk, has impressed at Porto and earned a move to bigger things. He scored a goal every two games in Portugal, Bournemouth will want something similar for £40m.

Potentially good news for Danny Loader. Although presumably Porto will reinvest the money on another striker.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Aug 2024 19:49

Sanguine Bournemouth have replaced Dominic Solanke with Evanilson. The Brazilian bears some resemblance to Hulk, and like Hulk, has impressed at Porto and earned a move to bigger things. He scored a goal every two games in Portugal, Bournemouth will want something similar for £40m.

A sign of the ever-changing fortunes in football with old rivals of ours in Brighton, Bournemouth and Brentford now spending £40 million on players (yes I know they have sold players).
Turn the clock back 10 years and the prospect of this happening for these 3 clubs would have been beyond belief.

If only we had been able to survive for a bit longer at the top level.

10573 posts