Silver Fox Holloway's left already?

BOOM!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Portsmouth fc

by Tony Le Mesmer » 16 Nov 2012 10:21

PieEater
Alexander Litvinenko
Silver Fox How do Portpin get forced to sell them Fratton Park then? And who sets the price?

No idea how a sale can be enforced, presumably there are some contract terms somewhere about this. I think the court can define what a fair price should be - ISTR a similar thing happened at Wrexham.

That was my understanding, they establish the fair market value and Portpin are forced to accept but I've just read this:
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/p ... ryid=18287
and that seems to say that the ground was already sold to pay the debenture at the last administration, so it seems uncertain why they need to do it again.

I still dont understand how you can come up with a "Fair" Market Value for a football ground. Given that there is vitually no market for a football ground other than the current owner of occupier, or anything comparible, its purely just a professional guesstimate. Its hardly like selling an Office or Warehouse.

If Reading were to fall on hard times and sell their ground, how much is it worth? If they sold it to London Irish it would be worth 10 times that if they sold to say B&Q for them to knock down and build on the site.

£2.75m? They probably spent more building the Fratton End alone.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 16 Nov 2012 15:27

Tony Le Mesmer
I still dont understand how you can come up with a "Fair" Market Value for a football ground. Given that there is vitually no market for a football ground other than the current owner of occupier, or anything comparible, its purely just a professional guesstimate. Its hardly like selling an Office or Warehouse.

If Reading were to fall on hard times and sell their ground, how much is it worth? If they sold it to London Irish it would be worth 10 times that if they sold to say B&Q for them to knock down and build on the site.

£2.75m? They probably spent more building the Fratton End alone.

I think they can only value the land as raw acreage and disregard the current use.

Regardless of planning issues - which I believe stipulates that the land on which Fratton stands can only be used for sport and not housing - the area itself will have a commercial value which is dictated by the prevailing market conditions. And that's nowhere near the money Portpin are asking to cover their charge.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 16 Nov 2012 21:02

Presume that if the fans takeover is successful they will call off their Fratton boycott and the most loyal fans in the world will be back to pack out the ground to capacity again.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Nov 2012 21:07

Think you'll find that the loyal fans are the ones that are actually stumping up the cash.

A work pal has paid in £1k already...rarely misses a game

Royalist

by Royalist » 17 Nov 2012 00:53

The point, i think, he was trying to make is Pompey fans get press for being great fans when most of them don't bother anymore. Good league one crowds but nothing more.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Nov 2012 08:36

Royalist The point, i think, he was trying to make is Pompey fans get press for being great fans when most of them don't bother anymore. Good league one crowds but nothing more.

Their fans are no better and no worse than anyone else's in such conditions.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Nov 2012 09:24

Barry the bird boggler
Royalist The point, i think, he was trying to make is Pompey fans get press for being great fans when most of them don't bother anymore. Good league one crowds but nothing more.

Correct. Yet they will relentlessly tell everyone they are 10 x better than any other fans

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 Nov 2012 12:51

soggy biscuit
Barry the bird boggler

Correct. Yet they will relentlessly tell everyone they are 10 x better than any other fans

Their fans are no different than anyone else's in doing that.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Nov 2012 17:26

Jackson Corner Palace have gone into admin 3 times. They now top the Championship with a top manager. Cheats do prosper.

They seem like they served their time of financial cost cutting, player sales and relegation fights to me. At least this last time anyway.

Royalist

by Royalist » 17 Nov 2012 19:12

I don't think its their fans that big them up but the media. Another half empty stadium today even with some good news. The fans staying away know the club needs every single penny and yet stay away as they slide into a real uphill relegation battle. If they went down to league 2 they'd struggle to ever return to the top flight imo

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 Nov 2012 19:48

Just like every other club they have all sorts of fans - a hardcore who will support them whatever happens and another set who come along when the going is good.

Those in the hard-core are working tirelessly for the club and putting their own money into the pot, as would happen at any club - but I don't think generalisations based on attendances are valid when talking about any club.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Nov 2012 10:13

Alexander Litvinenko
soggy biscuit
Barry the bird boggler Their fans are no better and no worse than anyone else's in such conditions.

Not sure about that, I've lost count of the number of threads where sensitive souls bemoan how "embarassing" Reading's supporters are.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Nov 2012 11:23

Schards#2
Alexander Litvinenko
soggy biscuit

Not sure about that, I've lost count of the number of threads where sensitive souls bemoan how "embarassing" Reading's supporters are.

And anyone who has come into contact with Portsmouth fans will know they really do have an exceptionally high opinion of themselves as creating the best atmosphere in football, being the most loyal fans around, and supporting more or less the biggest club in the south.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Nov 2012 17:47

Royalist I don't think its their fans that big them up but the media. Another half empty stadium today even with some good news. The fans staying away know the club needs every single penny and yet stay away as they slide into a real uphill relegation battle. If they went down to league 2 they'd struggle to ever return to the top flight imo

They were a 4th Division club as recently as the late 70's and have returned to the top flight twice since then. No reason why they can't although to return again in a fair and proper manner would be a big ask.

Much as I hate Pompey, it is a continuation of the same club, the new owners deserve the oportunity to accept the sanctions and carry on. As a club run by a Supporters' Trust, you would like to think they will do things in the right way.

If they were to become a new club then they would have to vacate the Football League. It's exactly what happened to Rangers, they weren't "relegated" to Division 3 but, because the Scottish League is a closed league, they were able to apply for the vacant slot.

Royalist

by Royalist » 18 Nov 2012 19:29

Dunno might work their way back up to the Championship but on crowds of 20k it will be harder than ever when by then wage rules like in league one and two should be in place. Will make it harder than ever for the 'smaller' clubs to climb the leagues like Wigan in the future.

Royalist

by Royalist » 20 Nov 2012 22:00

Into the relegation zone and still have 10 points to be taken off. Whats the quickest slide from top league to bottom they've got to be close!?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 20 Nov 2012 22:52

Royalist Into the relegation zone and still have 10 points to be taken off. Whats the quickest slide from top league to bottom they've got to be close!?

It may be Carlisle in the early 70's? Below 10k tonight so the best fans in the world are starting to drift away.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 20 Nov 2012 23:00

Wolves had 3 consecutive relegations from 84-86

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 21 Nov 2012 06:10

Bristol City also went through the leagues like a dose of salts in the late 70s early 80s

1559 posts