Any point taking Rooney?

129 posts
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Any point taking Rooney?

by TBM » 08 Dec 2011 23:30

rhroyal
No Fixed Abode Just seen an interview with Dalglish on SSN saying he doesn't agree with the outcome. Now if it was Suarez murdering someone he'd still appeal against it. Dalglish = what a kant.

I agreed with Daglish. Violent conduct = 3 game ban. Not really sure why UEFA reduced it; Rooney is an idiot.

Beckham only got a 1 match ban for his "kick out" against Argentina, i believe

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2011 10:35

TBM
rhroyal
No Fixed Abode Just seen an interview with Dalglish on SSN saying he doesn't agree with the outcome. Now if it was Suarez murdering someone he'd still appeal against it. Dalglish = what a kant.

I agreed with Daglish. Violent conduct = 3 game ban. Not really sure why UEFA reduced it; Rooney is an idiot.

Beckham only got a 1 match ban for his "kick out" against Argentina, i believe

Indeed, I believe the problem is that there isn't a set suspension for the offence, it's set on a case by case. That means you can appeal it.

I kind of agree with Dalglish too. I think his point wasn't so much that Rooney should or shouldn't have got the ban he did, but more that the FA shouldn't have been appealing once a body had set the ban (they don't like appeals coming before them - hence the additional bans for frivalous appeals etc - so why should they appeal). My only problem with that view is that UEFA's bans seem more inconsistant than the FA's.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 Dec 2011 10:54

It should be a simple

1 game for 2 yellows (in a game)
2 games for a straight red

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Dec 2011 11:00

Straight red for violent conduct or serious/dangerous fould play should be more than for a red for an accidental professional foul.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 09 Dec 2011 13:13

Apparently it was actually all Capello's fault :roll:

Wayne Rooney has been cleared to play in England's final group game at Euro 2012, after Fabio Capello took full responsibility for the striker's red card against Montenegro and urged a Uefa disciplinary panel not to punish him for an experienced manager's mistake.

The England manager was instrumental in convincing the governing body of European football to reduce Rooney's ban – for kicking the Montenegro defender Miodrag Dzudovic in a qualifier in October – from three matches to two. The appeal prompted the Liverpool manager, Kenny Dalglish, to accuse the Football Association of double standards, but it represented a significant boost for England.

Capello told a three-man panel at Uefa headquarters in Nyon that he should have substituted Rooney at half-time in Podgorica as, in the England manager's opinion and contrary to what was said in public at the time, the Manchester United forward was distracted by the arrest of his father and uncle 24 hours before the game as part of an investigation into betting irregularities. Both men vigorously deny any involvement.

Though the hearing was held in private, sources in Nyon revealed that Capello said he realised Rooney was not in the right frame of mind during the 2-2 draw and should have withdrawn the striker. Instead, the 26-year-old was dismissed, for violent conduct in the 74th minute, and faced missing England's three group matches next summer until Uefa granted him a reprieve.

Wayne Rooney Sr and Richie Rooney were arrested by Merseyside police on the eve of England's final qualifier, as part of inquiries into Steve Jennings, the Merseyside-born Motherwell midfielder, allegedly getting himself sent off in a defeat by Hearts last year. The Rooneys were bailed pending further inquiries and have since vowed to clear their names.

Following Rooney's dismissal Capello said: "It was no mistake to pick him." His Montenegrin opposite number, Branko Brnovic, said: "They are serious problems and maybe that's why he did what he did." In Nyon, Capello's stance shifted towards Brnovic's assessment and the admission that he had mishandled Rooney's predicament in Montenegro was taken into consideration by the panel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... ooney-uefa

I agree with the above comments - this leads a bad taste in the mouth. It's a clear 3-match ban, and I doubt UEFA would be listening if it was a complaint from the Slovenian FA or whoever.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 10 Dec 2011 04:42

The FA using an argument of it being only a six game tournament was terrible. What about all the qualifying games you have to play? Do they not count!

Shouldn't have been reduced. The punishment no longer fits the crime.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Dec 2011 09:28

Wayne Rooney is world class.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Dec 2011 09:49

LoyalRoyalFan Wayne Rooney is world class.

Here we go again.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Dec 2011 10:20

sandman
LoyalRoyalFan Wayne Rooney is world class.

Here we go again.

:lol:

129 posts