Racism in football (John Terry spin-off)

1181 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Racism in football (John Terry spin-off)

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 11:44

6ft Kerplunk
Hoop Blah But isn't one of the points made on this thread that those minorities are represented in a reasonable proportion?

2.5% of league managers are from an ethnic minority. Wasn't it said that that's a proportionate number*?

By that logic are you expecting that about 50% of league managers should be women as they make up about 50% of the population?

Not really, unless I was to take into account the womens game where they can have experience of the leagues they're competing in etc etc.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 17 Oct 2012 11:47

I've seen 10 times worse on Sunday mornings so does that mean that England should also be banned from international football?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 11:52

Hoop Blah What sanctions were taken against Turkey (was it them?) when it all kicked off after a game a few years ago?

The one I'm thinking of involved, I think, Police getting involved in attacking the other team as well and was worse than last nights. Did they get away with it?

Found it, Turkey v Switzerland, 2005.

Turkey got 6 games behind closed doors at a neutral venue outside of Turkey plus a fine.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Oct 2012 11:56

I'm still a bit mystified why Rose got sent off for kicking the ball away after the match had finished. I don't even think he kicked it at anyone specific or into the crowd. If that's how clueless the ref is then I hold out no hope that Serbia will get any sanctions at all.

I'd also be fuming at Sterling who was way offside calling for a pass, only to be saved by Wickham intercepting it to score.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 17 Oct 2012 11:58

TheMaraudingDog I've seen 10 times worse on Sunday mornings so does that mean that England should also be banned from international football?

No, because Sunday league football isn't under the jurisdiction of FIFA/UEFA as the U21s are

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Oct 2012 11:59

PieEater
I'd also be fuming at Sterling who was way offside calling for a pass, only to be saved by Wickham intercepting it to score.

You’d be fuming at someone for being in an offside position? Hopefully Pearce’s man management is a little more subtle than that, for the sake of our youngsters.

Agreed on Rose though, referee had no perspective at all there.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Oct 2012 12:01

Rose was rightly sent off imo. He incited more trouble by his actions. The Ref sent him off following the letter of the law. The ref has no power over the crowd.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 12:02

PieEater I'm still a bit mystified why Rose got sent off for kicking the ball away after the match had finished. I don't even think he kicked it at anyone specific or into the crowd. If that's how clueless the ref is then I hold out no hope that Serbia will get any sanctions at all.

It was Rose's 2nd yellow and seen as dissent I guess, as kicking the ball away aggressively must be over something. Either dissent or ungentlmanly conduct. We've seen other players booked for booting the ball into fans I think so in isolation it wouldn't have been too odd. In the circumstances of what was going on it was appaling refereeing though and I'm sure they'll review it at some point.

Sterling may have been calling for the ball, but if you watch the replay, I'm pretty sure Ince looks over his shoulder and see's Wickham coming from deep and no doubt calling for it. Fair play to him for passing it instead of take the glory shot himself.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 17 Oct 2012 12:04

Lets hope Rose gets an adequate ban for his red.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Oct 2012 12:05

Hoop Blah
It was Rose's 2nd yellow and seen as dissent I guess, as kicking the ball away aggressively must be over something. Either dissent or ungentlmanly conduct. We've seen other players booked for booting the ball into fans I think so in isolation it wouldn't have been too odd. In the circumstances of what was going on it was appaling refereeing though and I'm sure they'll review it at some point.

But after the game was over? I've seen booking during the game for time wasting but never after. I don't think they can review/appeal a second yellow either, but the ref needs to explain why he thought the best course of action was to punish the victim.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 12:42

The ref is well within his rights to book players for dissent after the final whistle yes.

I'm sure that's happened plenty of times (not that I have an example off the top of my head though).

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 17 Oct 2012 12:45

I know the English media are obsessed with racism, but I'm more concerned with the missiles being thrown from the crowd and also the violence from the Serbian players and officials after the final whistle.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 17 Oct 2012 13:58

Hoop Blah The ref is well within his rights to book players for dissent after the final whistle yes.

I'm sure that's happened plenty of times (not that I have an example off the top of my head though).

Cantona in Turkey a while back

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Oct 2012 14:10

Mcanuff got sent off after the final whistle, at Leicester I think?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 Oct 2012 14:12

ZacNaloen Mcanuff got sent off after the final whistle, at Leicester I think?

West Brom in the FA Cup.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 14:19

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9615036/Serbian-FA-deny-racism-claims-from-England-U21s-and-accuse-Danny-Rose-of-vulgar-behaviour.html

Amazing statement from the Serbian FA here.

Although it's impossible to really state what sparked the carnage on the pitch from watching the TV coverage (and I'm assuming it was some potentially over exuberant celebrations that wound up the Serb players) it's pretty clear that the atmosphere in the stadium was the key contributory factor and that racial abuse was going on (although they only deny it going on before the final whistle).

I'm amazed they're trying to finger the blame on Rose though.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 Oct 2012 14:30

Hoop Blah I'm amazed they're trying to finger the blame on Rose though.

Surely that's the only possible argument they could adopt?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 17 Oct 2012 14:32

I'm still none the wiser as to what actually kicked off all the trouble. As you say, I assume the Serbian players felt that England were celebr8ing too much, but considering they'd just scored a winner in injury time, I'm not sure what they were expecting.

Would have been gr8 if Pearce has steamed in and knocked out their goalkeeping coach.

Can we all agree that this stuff is brilliant to watch, however wrong it might be?
Last edited by southbank1871 on 17 Oct 2012 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 17 Oct 2012 14:34

Absolutely astounding.

Failure to acknowledge the problem is almost as bad as the abuse itself.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 Oct 2012 14:34

southbank1871 I'm still none the wiser as to what actually kicked off all the trouble.

As much racism as rampant over-nationalism.

1181 posts