The Gylfi thread.

2243 posts
Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SPECULATION - Gylfi on sale for £6m

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Jun 2012 22:58

maffff
akranes
maffff We have offered a higher weekly salary than Liverpool.

I'm not doubting you, but I find that last line oh so hard to even comprehend.

You and I both mate. This isn't the Reading that I know...... That's not to say he won't go to Liverpool and say "I've been offered this, if you want me match it". It's not as clear cut as all the Liverpool fans seem to think, they are still favourites, by a long way. But SERIOUS intent is there, we've had our eye on him since they day we went up (and nearly had him in the bag in January), and once Rodgers moved on things moved quickly to try to get him in.

maffff is absolutely bang on. I just can't see past a move to Liverpool, but we are very much in there with a chance. AZ has ambitions for this club that we could never have envisaged. It's all very surreal. The pessimist in me can't see him opting for us over Liverpool, but at least we're trying.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 23 Jun 2012 23:07

Not getting Gylfi back but doing everything you could to try and get him back > Not getting Gylfi back and doing nothing about it.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jun 2012 23:07

All this talk of maybe competing in europe was bollocks so as not to scare everyone. He wants to be fighting for champions league. That's his 10 year plan.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jun 2012 23:08

If there is one player that it would be worth spunking money on to try and get that European football nonsense we've been talking about, it's Gylfi. He's not a risk, we know his personality, we know his game and he knows us.

I'm delighted that the club seems to be thinking big, but in a smart way. Even if we don't get him.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 23 Jun 2012 23:10

As Zacnaloen tweeted:- @maffff @Fridays_Legacy something to remember about all this spending. #readingfc had no debt all this promotion money is there to be spent and with the owners spending their money on infrastructure it can go towards high wages with only small risk

Very important point and many thanks to SJM for running the club so prudently, albeit frustrating to many fans.

Edited for quoting a RT instead of the original Tweet, sorry Chris B.
Last edited by CholseyRoyal on 23 Jun 2012 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jun 2012 23:12

Last edited by ZacNaloen on 23 Jun 2012 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Jun 2012 23:15

ZacNaloen All this talk of maybe competing in europe was bollocks so as not to scare everyone. He wants to be fighting for champions league. That's his 10 year plan.

Agree with that. You don't buy into a football club and throw tens of millions at it just to watch the club compete in the Europa League. I think he will build in phases. Small steps if you like; although they feel like giant leaps at present. Getting the stadium up to 38k will be a priority, in terms of generating more revenue. Stadium naming rights etc will most certainly happen. It's a revenue stream, they wont ignore that. But if it pushes us closer to where he wants us to be then it's hard to criticise really. Some will though, of course.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 23 Jun 2012 23:18

Friday's Legacy
ZacNaloen All this talk of maybe competing in europe was bollocks so as not to scare everyone. He wants to be fighting for champions league. That's his 10 year plan.

Agree with that. You don't buy into a football club and throw tens of millions at it just to watch the club compete in the Europa League. I think he will build in phases. Small steps if you like; although they feel like giant leaps at present. Getting the stadium up to 38k will be a priority, in terms of generating more revenue. Stadium naming rights etc will most certainly happen. It's a revenue stream, they wont ignore that. But if it pushes us closer to where he wants us to be then it's hard to criticise really. Some will though, of course.

Not from those like me who remembers the seventies under Waller won't critisise mate

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jun 2012 23:25

I don't see how we can possibly break the top few clubs' strangle hold from the position we are in and come from. We've got plenty of room for growth, but not that much growth!

And outside of those few top clubs, all that seems to happen is you have a few years of success, try too hard to step up or maintain it, make a couple of mistakes and then away you go spending your time fighting off relegation.

That sort of ambition, I find really rather frightening. It's just so alien to us, and I guess to me.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jun 2012 23:38

CholseyRoyal As Zacnaloen tweeted:- @maffff @Fridays_Legacy something to remember about all this spending. #readingfc had no debt all this promotion money is there to be spent and with the owners spending their money on infrastructure it can go towards high wages with only small risk

Very important point and many thanks to SJM for running the club so prudently, albeit frustrating to many fans.

Addendum to this tweet, the contracts have to be spot on. Relegation clauses are key to the risk level. With Hammond in charge I'm not overly worried about contracts though, tbf

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Jun 2012 23:40

ZacNaloen
CholseyRoyal As Zacnaloen tweeted:- @maffff @Fridays_Legacy something to remember about all this spending. #readingfc had no debt all this promotion money is there to be spent and with the owners spending their money on infrastructure it can go towards high wages with only small risk

Addendum to this tweet, the contracts have to be spot on. Relegation clauses are key to the risk level. With Hammond in charge I'm not overly worried about contracts though, tbf

Indeed, however that being said, Pogrebnyak wanted a relegation release clause inserted into his contract and we challenged it, wanting at least until the following January transfer window. AZ more than prepared to fund an instant return to the PL if the worst happened.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jun 2012 23:43

With the parachute money 6 months is affordable, then we can sell on if we don't look like staying up.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Jun 2012 23:48

Wasn't my tweet either mate!

McCleary has no release clause, Pog has clauses but they aren't able to be activated immediately. Sigurdsson would have one. I trust Hammond to get this right.

G'La

by G'La » 23 Jun 2012 23:51

Earlier today it was 40/1 on Gylfi coming home. Now 10/1 with Skybet... I dont even need to bet on that. Gylfi playing for Reading again is better than a few hundred notes in my pocket. Im serously excited by AZ's envolvement and selling his vision to potential players. Like other have suggested I think the bigger plan is to make us top 4 in the next 10yrs. Bring it faaaakin on!

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 24 Jun 2012 00:27

We love you Anton,
We do,
We love you Anton,
We do,
We love you Anton,
We do!
Ohh Anton we love you.

Saaaaaaaammmmmm

by Saaaaaaaammmmmm » 24 Jun 2012 01:07

Bloody hell, who'd have thought we'd be talking about 'breaking the big clubs stranglehold' one day :shock:

clauski

by clauski » 24 Jun 2012 01:39

Out of interest, has anywhere other than HNA even suggested Gylfi is in talks/considering us?

TheRoyalJoe

by TheRoyalJoe » 24 Jun 2012 01:54

clauski Out of interest, has anywhere other than HNA even suggested Gylfi is in talks/considering us?

Twitter

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Jun 2012 09:34

40/1.... Holy crap. In a 2 horse race? Wish I'd seen that.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 24 Jun 2012 09:40

Seems there's more than 2 horses in this race - at least 4 if you include the Jacks.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/328 ... dsson-deal

2243 posts