The Gylfi thread.

2243 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SPECULATION - Gylfi on sale for £6m

by Barry the bird boggler » 24 Jun 2012 09:46

I reckon IcelandicStokie will know the final answer on this before Gylfi does......

themadstad

by themadstad » 24 Jun 2012 09:50

M Brook Seems there's more than 2 horses in this race - at least 4 if you include the Jacks.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/328 ... dsson-deal

Indicates it is Spurs that have offered him more money and not us.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 24 Jun 2012 09:54

themadstad
M Brook Seems there's more than 2 horses in this race - at least 4 if you include the Jacks.

Don't really understand how a managerless club can do this. What if the new manager doesn't fancy the Sig?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jun 2012 09:56

Did I really just read people thinking about the Champions League?

As ambitious and positive as the signings of the likes of Sigurdsson and Pogbrenyak would be we are still a million miles away from competing at that level, or even being in a position to think about it.

What we're seeing is a willingness to pay the going rate to 'proven' players at this level. Something we weren't able or willing to do last time around. This is what's needed to get into the kind of position that Fulham, Stoke and Sunderland have got themselves. It won't guarantee we avoid relegation, or even a relegation fight, but it will give us a much better chance.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 24 Jun 2012 09:58

Hoop Blah Did I really just read people thinking about the Champions League?

As ambitious and positive as the signings of the likes of Sigurdsson and Pogbrenyak would be we are still a million miles away from competing at that level, or even being in a position to think about it.

What we're seeing is a willingness to pay the going rate to 'proven' players at this level. Something we weren't able or willing to do last time around. This is what's needed to get into the kind of position that Fulham, Stoke and Sunderland have got themselves. It won't guarantee we avoid relegation, or even a relegation fight, but it will give us a much better chance.

Sensible post alert.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jun 2012 09:59

M Brook
themadstad

Don't really understand how a managerless club can do this. What if the new manager doesn't fancy the Sig?

Clubs make player moves without managers all the time. We got rid of a number of them when we had no manager the summer Coppell left.

Managers take over squads with players they might not want every time they take a job. On top of that, it would seem at some clubs the manager isn't the only one with a say in how the team or squad is put together.

themadstad

by themadstad » 24 Jun 2012 10:02

M Brook
themadstad

Levy is the kind of man that would say that's the team, you want the job then here you go. What if they already have someone lined up, not inconceivable at all.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 24 Jun 2012 10:05

Hoop Blah
M Brook

Clubs make player moves without managers all the time. We got rid of a number of them when we had no manager the summer Coppell left.

Managers take over squads with players they might not want every time they take a job. On top of that, it would seem at some clubs the manager isn't the only one with a say in how the team or squad is put together.

OK so what if the Sig doesn't like the incoming manager? Surely the uncertainty of not knowing who you'll be working under makes a managerless club a less attractive option than one where you know exactly who you'll be working with.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Jun 2012 10:06

Of course it does.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 24 Jun 2012 10:08

^ this.

And remember, he was signed by one manager at Hoffenheim who was then sacked and the incoming manager didn't seem to favour him. So he doesn't want a repeat of that again. Hence my comments re Liverpool and Rodgers also - they're so fickle I can see Rodgers gone before the end of the season if results not going well. With us, he knows McD really, really well - knows he's not likely to be going anywhere soon and knows he'll be ever present in the team, not a bench warmer. I reckon he's decided he's coming to us, but he's such a nice lad, he's contemplating how to break it to the others! :wink:

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 24 Jun 2012 10:15

Royal Lady ^ this.

And remember, he was signed by one manager at Hoffenheim who was then sacked and the incoming manager didn't seem to favour him. So he doesn't want a repeat of that again. Hence my comments re Liverpool and Rodgers also - they're so fickle I can see Rodgers gone before the end of the season if results not going well. With us, he knows McD really, really well - knows he's not likely to be going anywhere soon and knows he'll be ever present in the team, not a bench warmer. I reckon he's decided he's coming to us, but he's such a nice lad, he's contemplating how to break it to the others! :wink:

Now that would be nice - I do like a happy ending. We could all take it in turns to invite him round for Sunday lunch - he wouldn't get that on Merseyside or norf London!

themadstad

by themadstad » 24 Jun 2012 10:22

Spurs may well have a manager now lined up though.

Even so Gylfi may feel he can force his way in to the Liverpool team but BR may rotate the squad.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Jun 2012 10:55

love how none of the press seem to think we are even an option for Sig. Would send out a real message to everyone if he comes home. This would make my summer if we pull it off

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 24 Jun 2012 11:02

JezD if gylfi comes home i'll eat my hat.

i like hats.

Me too, well ony if it's...

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 24 Jun 2012 11:03

M Brook
OK so what if the Sig doesn't like the incoming manager? Surely the uncertainty of not knowing who you'll be working under makes a managerless club a less attractive option than one where you know exactly who you'll be working with.

Then he might not sign. But from a Spurs perspective, if they can see (and I'm sure they can) Sig's potential and the absolute bargain that this kind of price offers, they may as well at least try to get him. If they don't and he scores a hat trick when Liverpool rock up next season, they might rue that even more if they hadn't made an offer.

We somewhat overplay the importance of the manager as an individual sometimes - Rodgers wasn't irreplaceable at Swansea because he was hired to fit a style of play. Lyon have been doing that (successfully) for several years.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jun 2012 11:12

Zaretsky
M Brook

Then he might not sign. But from a Spurs perspective, if they can see (and I'm sure they can) Sig's potential and the absolute bargain that this kind of price offers, they may as well at least try to get him. If they don't and he scores a hat trick when Liverpool rock up next season, they might rue that even more if they hadn't made an offer.

We somewhat overplay the importance of the manager as an individual sometimes - Rodgers wasn't irreplaceable at Swansea because he was hired to fit a style of play. Lyon have been doing that (successfully) for several years.

Pretty much this.

It obviously makes selling the club to a player a bit more difficult as they won't be convinced of the future, the style, their prospects or relationship with the manager. They will know exactly how much the contract their being offered is worth though, and the capabilities of the squad/club they're joining.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Jun 2012 11:31

If he doesn't know who his boss would be at Spurs that will be a major disadvantage to them in this process.

jimstaaa

by jimstaaa » 24 Jun 2012 11:36

Royal Rother 40/1.... Holy crap. In a 2 horse race? Wish I'd seen that.

Down to 10/1 now on SkyBet with Spurs 5/6, Liverpool 5/6, Swansea 25/1, QPR 25/1 and Man Utd 33/1.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Jun 2012 11:44

jimstaaa
Royal Rother 40/1.... Holy crap. In a 2 horse race? Wish I'd seen that.

Down to 10/1 now on SkyBet with Spurs 5/6, Liverpool 5/6, Swansea 25/1, QPR 25/1 and Man Utd 33/1.

Link?

Dave Gale

by Dave Gale » 24 Jun 2012 11:46

2243 posts