VAR

1804 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by Franchise FC » 02 Oct 2023 09:52

Sanguine
Sutekh What I don't get is why the officials that did the Spurs/Liverpool game were part of a team sent by the PGMOL to Saudi on Thursday to officiate/advise over there, hardly makes sense to risk tiredness and also the reputation of the PL in stupid things like that during the British season.

Also isn't Hooper the same ref who sent off MacAllister only to have that decision overturned and then did the Wolves/ManU game? Hardly a glowing record there!

Yep. Hooper has now been 'stood down' twice this season.

Shirley Hooper is not the issue in this one, it’s those in the booth
TBF to him, he’s been let down by his ‘mates’

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Oct 2023 09:53

Franchise FC
Sanguine
Sutekh What I don't get is why the officials that did the Spurs/Liverpool game were part of a team sent by the PGMOL to Saudi on Thursday to officiate/advise over there, hardly makes sense to risk tiredness and also the reputation of the PL in stupid things like that during the British season.

Also isn't Hooper the same ref who sent off MacAllister only to have that decision overturned and then did the Wolves/ManU game? Hardly a glowing record there!

Maybe on the Onana incident, sure.

On this one, I'd like to hear the audio - surely a protocol exists, or should, where the on-field referee says to VAR 'decision on the field is.....'

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Oct 2023 09:58

Sanguine
Franchise FC
Sanguine

Maybe on the Onana incident, sure.

On this one, I'd like to hear the audio - surely a protocol exists, or should, where the on-field referee says to VAR 'decision on the field is.....'

But, as I understand it, that’s exactly the problem. Instead of simply saying ‘check complete’, the message should have been ‘check complete, no offside’
Then the problem goes away (well, this particular problem , anyway)

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 Oct 2023 10:46

Franchise FC
Sanguine

Hooper is just a terrible referee (even if one of Saturday's talking points is not his fault), as is Attwell and shouldn't be there in the first place.
I mentioned on another post that referees are there, amongst other things, to calm things down-these two clowns with their indecisiveness and inability to differentiate between a foul and a strong tackle (I'm not just talking about the Jones incident) tend to create havoc in the games that they officiate.

Re-Attwell I am not even blaming him for "that" goal at Watford but he was promoted far too early then rightly relegated and for some reason promoted again.
It looks as though the same thing is happening with Robert Madley who I see is gradually moving up the divisions and will probably be cocking things up before long again in the Premier League.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2023 10:56

Isn't Sky's referee programme on at some point today? Should be good to see how they try to say "move on, nothing to see here".

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Oct 2023 17:09

Liverpool threatening to withdraw from the league unless they get the game replayed.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Oct 2023 17:12

Pepe the Horseman Liverpool threatening to withdraw from the league unless they get the game replayed.

No, come on. That's surely not true.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Oct 2023 17:14

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman Liverpool threatening to withdraw from the league unless they get the game replayed.

:wink: No, but it's almost believable.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Oct 2023 17:15

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

Lol. Almost. :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2023 19:09

I see the ref in charge of the VAR operation at the Spurs game was quietly removed from his appointment as 4th official for the Brentford/Forest game on Sunday.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Oct 2023 19:44

Sutekh I see the ref in charge of the VAR operation at the Spurs game was quietly removed from his appointment as 4th official for the Brentford/Forest game on Sunday.

I don't think it was that quiet - it has been sports headline news

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Oct 2023 19:35

What's the logic in not bringing back the game after the restart once the mistake was realised? Everything about English officiating just seems so archaic.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Oct 2023 19:38

Dunno. They had no problem doing that after blowing the final whistle in that Brighton Man Utd match

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2023 21:55

tidus_mi2 What's the logic in not bringing back the game after the restart once the mistake was realised? Everything about English officiating just seems so archaic.

I remember the days when the chap with the flag used to indicate if someone was offside, used to help no end with the flow of a game too.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Oct 2023 10:30

What a terrible look and an utter balls up. Thing is - this is one of the easier ones they got wrong. Fouls etc can all be about opinion but offsides is matter of fact. As mentioned this is easily rectified and just need to follow a "cricket" check list. Conversation should be.

"checking offside, goal has been scored"
VT is run - but again that needs a strict robotic protocol as the dialogue was muddled.
"player was on-side - goal should be awarded"
"reverse decision on field of play, goal scored is correct decision"

we all know where confusion stemmed from, "play on, goal scored, flag up, checking for goal" - just an utter muddle.

But they need to be robotic - follow a check list and you would hope they get it right.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Oct 2023 13:04

Yes, it beggars belief that the PGMOL appear not to have sat down with the people who operate technology in cricket and rugby to learn what they learned as they were going through the implementation (and evolution) processes.

But the thing (I believe) Loafer mentioned yesterday is massive - it seems these guys in the VAR hot seat on Saturday had been officiating in Saudi Arabia 24 hours earlier. If 100% true it's just ridiculous. Travel (however comfortable) and climate switching of that magnitude has an inevitable impact on mental alertness.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Oct 2023 13:50

Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

:shock: :roll:

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 04 Oct 2023 13:57

:lol:

What a oxf*rd pussy

Same as Jeremy corbyn wanting another referendum or election when they lost

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 04 Oct 2023 13:58

Royal Rother Yes, it beggars belief that the PGMOL appear not to have sat down with the people who operate technology in cricket and rugby to learn what they learned as they were going through the implementation (and evolution) processes.

But the thing (I believe) Loafer mentioned yesterday is massive - it seems these guys in the VAR hot seat on Saturday had been officiating in Saudi Arabia 24 hours earlier. If 100% true it's just ridiculous. Travel (however comfortable) and climate switching of that magnitude has an inevitable impact on mental alertness.

Its true, I have sources at the fa I used to work with

Loads of refs have been doing it lately from England to go over to uae, mls, Japan and saudi

But like I've always said, I made a presentation to the fa about var implementation when I worked at RFU and how systems works and they didn't listen to me because the old predominantly white male council members who only care about themselves thought that "change and technology are bad"
:roll:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Oct 2023 14:10

Hendo
Pepe the Horseman
Hendo

:shock: :roll:

:D PredictabLOLe

Where was this uproar when the goal line technology failed for Sheff Utd?

1804 posts