French FA want "Frencher"/whiter team

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: French FA want "Frencher"/whiter team

by papereyes » 03 May 2011 10:22

Not sure - I think they have a different relationship with their old colonies (places like Reunion and New Caledonia are represented in their government iirc) to what we have with places like Cayman, Falklands, Bermuda and Pitcairn.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 03 May 2011 10:23

Ian Royal
Stuka From my understanding with England it's pretty clear, you are eligible to play so long as you have at least one grandparent born in England (or within English FA jurisdiction, Channel Islands, etc) Given globalisation and the fact we are part of a UK, I think that's fair enough under the circumstances.

It seems to me the eligibility rules for countries on the continent are far more relaxed, with naturalised citizens beinging signed up, sometimes with no previous connection to their host country other than a job offer with national team.

Don't the French also extend their selection policy to anyone who is from one of their colonies as they all have dual nationality or something like that anyway?

That's true, the French would declare their colonies as "France" and so their team selection policy would be very relaxed considering they had large swaths of Africa. We should have said when our Empire was at it's peak that 1/4 of the whole world was "Britain", then once they became independent including them in England selection criteria, then we'd be laughing.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 May 2011 15:55

It's their country, so I guess they can do what they like............................... :wink:

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 04 May 2011 18:00

Gordons Cumming It's their country, so I guess they can do what they like............................... :wink:

Good job you put that wink there, Gordons Cumming. Until I saw that I was somewhat concerned that the harsh tone of your post might have unpleasant consequences.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 May 2011 18:29

papereyes Not sure - I think they have a different relationship with their old colonies (places like Reunion and New Caledonia are represented in their government iirc) to what we have with places like Cayman, Falklands, Bermuda and Pitcairn.

DOM

Not you 2-0, it's what papereyes is sort of referring to. Départements d'Outre-mer. They are nowhere near France, but are 100% part of France (and the EU). They are officially as much part of France as Calais and have MP's in Paris.

There are 4: Réunion, Martinique, Guadeloupe and Guyane.

There are also the TOM, the Territoires. These are slightly less part of France, and are a bit more like Gibraltar, Bermuda etc are to us. They include Tahiti, New Caledonia and a few others. Er, St Barth, St Pierre et Miquleon...........