Eddie Mitchell - Bournemouth chairman

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Eddie Mitchell - Bournemouth chairman

by leon » 27 Feb 2012 13:26

Eaststandman Happen to hear this en route to a gig on Saturday night and didn't register who the B'mouth chap was in particular, but I thought Chapman was high handed and pompous and that the chap he was speaking to, sounded drunk from the very begining, pretty poor to let him ramble on quite the way he did for so long in any event!

in fairness he just let him dig his own grave. He's the chairman, not some confused Bournemouth fan.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 27 Feb 2012 15:50

leon
Eaststandman Happen to hear this en route to a gig on Saturday night and didn't register who the B'mouth chap was in particular, but I thought Chapman was high handed and pompous and that the chap he was speaking to, sounded drunk from the very begining, pretty poor to let him ramble on quite the way he did for so long in any event!

in fairness he just let him dig his own grave. He's the chairman, not some confused Bournemouth fan.

Aren't all B'mouth fans confused? but he did sound 'tired, emotional & confused' from the outset and without knowing who he was I remember thinking, 'he's pissed' how did he get past the screening process?

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 27 Feb 2012 17:29

Eaststandman
leon

Aren't all B'mouth fans confused? but he did sound 'tired, emotional & confused' from the outset and without knowing who he was I remember thinking, 'he's pissed' how did he get past the screening process?

i was having a little read of one of their forums recently and they seem do class us as a rival. i suppose back in the day we spent many seasons around each other, but for them to look upon us as "scum" and a derby just seems a tad too much. they were discussing their wealthy backers and were mocking reading as they were now richer than us and we had to sell our best players to get by, and "how times change" - and then we go and announce anton and tsi's backers. you couldn't script it any better. i've always been quite fond of bournemouth, but they seem a funny bunch.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Feb 2012 18:48

The fans have a massive inferiority complex when it comes to RFC.
The chairman is well known locally for the number of times his businesses have gone to the wall and people are wondering when the next one is due.
Surprisingly (?) as visitors will remember from their days out at Dean Court the ground has a massive car park that has attracted a number of different owners over the years who had hoped for planning permission to develop which has never quite happened although planning permission has now been given for a training centre nearby-first step towards something bigger?

Incidentally the ground (no longer owned by the club but Mitchell keeps on trying to buy it back) and is sponsored by a local motor dealers called Seward.
Guess what?
Part of that business has just gone to the wall.

Some of the fans like Mitchell because he is flash and has brought in this (supposedly)wealthy Russian as co-owner and spent about £1.5 million in the transfer window expecting a push for promotion but since then have hardly picked up a point and look to have only a minor chance of making the play-offs.
What a shame.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Feb 2012 19:59

Friday's Legacy i was having a little read of one of their forums recently and they seem do class us as a rival. i suppose back in the day we spent many seasons around each other, but for them to look upon us as "scum" and a derby just seems a tad too much. they were discussing their wealthy backers and were mocking reading as they were now richer than us and we had to sell our best players to get by, and "how times change" - and then we go and announce anton and tsi's backers. you couldn't script it any better. i've always been quite fond of bournemouth, but they seem a funny bunch.

They hate us.

Along with Aldershot, they're the only club that does. When they beat us 2-1 at the Madejski 10 years ago half a dozen Bournemouth fans were on the pitch celebrating in the penalty area after the equaliser. The only time I have ever seen away fans do that. It wasn't a particularly important game, or a very big crowd. They just hate us.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Feb 2012 21:16

Jerry St Clair When they beat us 2-1 at the Madejski 10 years ago half a dozen Bournemouth fans were on the pitch celebrating in the penalty area after the equaliser. The only time I have ever seen away fans do that. It wasn't a particularly important game, or a very big crowd. They just hate us.

You are bang wrong.

Bournemouth have never won at the Madejski. The game you may be referring to ended in a 2-2 draw, they led until very late on when Hughes equalised for us. They then got an even later penalty, their fans threw an absolute flid and ran down the front.....only to see the ball blazed high over their heads by Warren Feeney :lol:. Wasn't a particularly important game? Well it did occur in the closing weeks of a season where we were promoted on the final day and they were relegated on the same day, so, erm.....

Anyway, I believe they haven't won at Reading since about 1986. and LOL @ the fact that I don't even have to look sh*t like this up :|. Additional LOL @ me correct your GAPING factual accuracies and managing to look considerably the bigger twat :oops:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 27 Feb 2012 21:56

LoyalRoyalFan Isn't he a renowned drunk?

I interpretated :lol:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Feb 2012 23:03

floyd__streete
Jerry St Clair When they beat us 2-1 at the Madejski 10 years ago half a dozen Bournemouth fans were on the pitch celebrating in the penalty area after the equaliser. The only time I have ever seen away fans do that. It wasn't a particularly important game, or a very big crowd. They just hate us.

You are bang wrong.

Bournemouth have never won at the Madejski. The game you may be referring to ended in a 2-2 draw, they led until very late on when Hughes equalised for us. They then got an even later penalty, their fans threw an absolute flid and ran down the front.....only to see the ball blazed high over their heads by Warren Feeney :lol:. Wasn't a particularly important game? Well it did occur in the closing weeks of a season where we were promoted on the final day and they were relegated on the same day, so, erm.....

Anyway, I believe they haven't won at Reading since about 1986. and LOL @ the fact that I don't even have to look sh*t like this up :|. Additional LOL @ me correct your GAPING factual accuracies and managing to look considerably the bigger twat :oops:

The game i remember was when they were 3-1 up and we came back to draw 3-3 in the last min.....a result which meant they lost out on the play-offs (the year we lost to Walsall i think). Their fans were giving it the biggun with 2mins to go but then we scored :lol:

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 28 Feb 2012 07:02

TBM
floyd__streete

You are bang wrong.

The game i remember was when they were 3-1 up and we came back to draw 3-3 in the last min.....a result which meant they lost out on the play-offs (the year we lost to Walsall i think). Their fans were giving it the biggun with 2mins to go but then we scored :lol:

TBMers - that'd be this one: http://www.royals.org/matdoc/050501.html

Caskey scoring with a free-kick with his first touch after coming on as sub.

floydes' match: http://www.royals.org/matdoc/050302.html - awful penatly from Feeney :lol:

and factually correct re the last time Bournemouth beat us at home: 31/03/86 - Reading 1 Bournemouth 2

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Feb 2012 07:36

Impressive knowledge there by Floyd, i can't remember who we played last weekend

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 28 Feb 2012 07:52

floyd__streete

You are bang wrong.

I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes.

This was, of course, the beginning of our epic run of glorious draws which took us up with the final day, er, draw at Brentford. Just looking through the list of games there were some great memories. Chesterfield away, Rougier's heroics at Tranmere......

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 28 Feb 2012 09:00

T.R.O.L.I.
TBM The game i remember was when they were 3-1 up and we came back to draw 3-3 in the last min.....a result which meant they lost out on the play-offs (the year we lost to Walsall i think). Their fans were giving it the biggun with 2mins to go but then we scored :lol:

TBMers - that'd be this one: http://www.royals.org/matdoc/050501.html

Thats the one - cracking free kick by Caskey right in front of their fans.

I remember it so well cos i used to have good banter with the Bournemouth matey who ran their version of OAE, which i did at the time of this match.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 28 Feb 2012 12:22

Sorry to correct Jerry again but I'm sure that 3-3 result was the fateful Div 2 play off final defeat season and not the nearly choking second place of a season later...!

Because we drew, we gifted Wigan a play off place in the Muff's place, we went on to beat Wigan in the semis (snigger) and the rest is history...

What I remember about games against the Muff and the rivalry was, unlike dust ups with other local rivals like Brentford or Swindon, supporters of the Muff seemed to be like fighting the posh kids from the local grammar school. When the "rough" kids from Reading turned up they would soon run off back to Mummy.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 28 Feb 2012 12:26

Mr Optimist Sorry to correct Jerry again but I'm sure that 3-3 result was the fateful Div 2 play off final defeat season and not the nearly choking second place of a season later...!

Because we drew, we gifted Wigan a play off place in the Muff's place, we went on to beat Wigan in the semis (snigger) and the rest is history...

What I remember about games against the Muff and the rivalry was, unlike dust ups with other local rivals like Brentford or Swindon, supporters of the Muff seemed to be like fighting the posh kids from the local grammar school. When the "rough" kids from Reading turned up they would soon run off back to Mummy.

How I remember it too. Had we lost to Bournemouth we would then have played them in the play-offs in our next two fixtures. Great game, buzzing atmosphere and they were proper rattled. Good memories.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Feb 2012 12:29

Silver Fox Impressive knowledge there by Floyd, i can't remember who we played last weekend

As a super-human skill, my encyclopaedic knowledge of RFC is down theer with Meg Griffin's nail-growing in family Guy :|

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 01 Mar 2012 18:01

Mr Optimist Sorry to correct Jerry again but I'm sure that 3-3 result was the fateful Div 2 play off final defeat season and not the nearly choking second place of a season later...!

I refute the correction because I didn't mention the 3-3 draw which was, as you allude, an epic in many ways.