Wooney

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Wooney

by Simon's Church » 17 Jun 2012 12:02

soggy biscuit
Simon's Church Rooney's always been excellent for England at the Euros.

:|

He has only ever played 4 games at the Euro's, one of which he was sent off in for stamping on an opponents testicles

No he wasn't

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 17 Jun 2012 12:35

Simon's Church
soggy biscuit

He has only ever played 4 games at the Euro's, one of which he was sent off in for stamping on an opponents testicles

No he wasn't

SC is right....the testicular stamp was in the '06 WC Q/F against Portugal. Rooney has only played 4 Euro games.......Brilliant against France '04, Youngest Euros scorer (at the time) against Swiss '04....Then his best game for England v Croatia in '04...He was also tearing Portugal (in the '04 Q/F) a new one, aided by Owen before that metatarsal in his right foot went! Obviously didn't play in '08!

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Jun 2012 12:46

Apologies, easy to get your crap England campaigns mixed up

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 17 Jun 2012 17:26

Wayne Rooney is a world class player. One of the best in the world.

Definite start.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 17 Jun 2012 20:46

soggy biscuit

That would be the World Cup.

He was exceptional at 2004 as a bright teenager, and we didn't qualify for 2008; not really enough to form a basis of opinion to be honest.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 17 Jun 2012 23:53

Man Friday I note that every player in the starting eleven has in the two games we've played so far sang the National Anthem. It will be inetersting to see whether Wooney, the perennial non-National Anthem singer spoils this when he returns to the team on Tuesday.

You'll be demanding more "passion" from the manager next.

Sod good ball control, tactical awareness, visionary play and the ability to pass. Lets all bellow the national anthem and have a huddle just so we impress the more brainless elements of our support.

England really is so immature in it's approach to football (managers, players and fans). No wonder we're done nothing for half a century.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Jun 2012 23:58

Thread title = CRINGE

just some bloke

by just some bloke » 18 Jun 2012 00:03

Man Friday I've said it several times before on this forum but I really think we're better off without Wayne Wooney.

You've spelt his name wrong. His name is Wayne Rooney

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 18 Jun 2012 00:28

It's hilarious when a bright and respected man has a slight speech impediment.

The England team will without doubt be better with Rooney in it - hard to think of a team that wouldn't be tbh. Watching the boy hoof a Ukranian into the stand when the team's losing might also be a bit of a chuckle.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 18 Jun 2012 08:40

soggy biscuit

Don't think so m8

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Jun 2012 11:03

Jerry St Clair
Man Friday I note that every player in the starting eleven has in the two games we've played so far sang the National Anthem. It will be inetersting to see whether Wooney, the perennial non-National Anthem singer spoils this when he returns to the team on Tuesday.

You'll be demanding more "passion" from the manager next.

Sod good ball control, tactical awareness, visionary play and the ability to pass. Lets all bellow the national anthem and have a huddle just so we impress the more brainless elements of our support.

England really is so immature in it's approach to football (managers, players and fans). No wonder we're done nothing for half a century.

It might not make a jot of difference to the results or style of play, but I think it does show that Hodgson has them following instructions and hopefully having a bit more identity with the fans who they represent.

I've never been too worried if they sing or not, but I did like the fact they were all singing the anthem and making it look like they were interested. I actually think that, most importantly, it sets the right tone within the team but also within the fans/media who might just cut them a bit more slack if they show a better attitude and respect for the shirt than they have in recent years.

Rooney is a certain starter for me. This team is crying out for what he can bring.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 18 Jun 2012 11:09

Hoop Blah Rooney is a certain starter for me. This team is crying out for what he can bring.

Exactly and if we want to get the best out of him for the Spain game then he will need to play a full game, rather than coming on for 20mins at the end

No point in taking him if he isn't going to play

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Jun 2012 11:20

Re the anthem, agree with HB, doesn’t particularly bother me if players aren’t singing it, but when they are it does suggest a little passion for the game and the country. I’ve wondered before how mentally prepared players get for playing for their country – contrast the anthems in football to those in rugby where the players bellow them out like they really are about to go into battle, and it isn’t rare to see a few with tears in their eyes.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 18 Jun 2012 16:47

some of them don't sing though. I don't people not singing, it's a personal thing, bit like singing at a church wedding

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Jun 2012 17:34

cmonurz Re the anthem, agree with HB, doesn’t particularly bother me if players aren’t singing it, but when they are it does suggest a little passion for the game and the country. I’ve wondered before how mentally prepared players get for playing for their country – contrast the anthems in football to those in rugby where the players bellow them out like they really are about to go into battle, and it isn’t rare to see a few with tears in their eyes.

I want the players to show respect for the honour they are being afforded, so I want to see them all singing the anthem. It maybe suggests whether the attitude and approach is right. But lets face it, no one thinks its important player selection criteria or important in determining the out come of a match.

Anyone suggesting people do is a moron.

It's not a case of wanting players who sing to be picked, it's a question of wanting the players who are picked to behave in the "right way".

Not disagreeing with you cmonurz, more adding my thoughts.

Although I was thinking the other day... that a big part of performance, be it sporting, or arts related is mental focus and preparation. People do that in different ways and I wonder if perhaps for some, singing the anthem interfers with their pre-performance rituals and focus so they use it to turn inward and improve their focus rather than singing.

A thought which has changed my opinion on players who don't sing quite a lot.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 18 Jun 2012 21:10

Man Friday
Dare to Dr£am I wouldn't sing it either. The Queen and all her German roots can f**k off. Toffy nosed bunch of kunts.

It's a football match, not the Eurovision Song Contest!

You're right, it is a football match. But one in which you're representing your country. If you're not proud to play for your country or proud to support your country then fukk off somewhere else.

And if you're a republican?

I hope for your sake you're on a wind-up here.

Whether or not you like people who don't feel patriotic has nothing to do with whether a football team is better off without them.

Anyone know whether Yaya Toure is proud to be associated with Manchester?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Jun 2012 21:12

RobRoyal
Man Friday
Dare to Dr£am I wouldn't sing it either. The Queen and all her German roots can f**k off. Toffy nosed bunch of kunts.

It's a football match, not the Eurovision Song Contest!

You're right, it is a football match. But one in which you're representing your country. If you're not proud to play for your country or proud to support your country then fukk off somewhere else.

And if you're a republican?

Get the oxf*rd over yourself, realise you're in an insignificant minority and join in with the national anthem.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 18 Jun 2012 21:13

Jesus, who slapped your tits?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Jun 2012 21:15

RobRoyal Jesus, who slapped your tits?

No one, but send me a pic and I'll think about letting you do it.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 18 Jun 2012 21:15

RobRoyal Jesus, who slapped your tits?

Judas?