Cork City go bust

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Cork City set to be wound up

by Dirk Gently » 28 Jul 2009 21:37

Jerry St Clair
Dirk Gently Reading bought out the sell-on clause in KD with a cash sum to Cork in November last year - I think for something like 200k Euros.

Do you think that's a bit immoral?

There's be invective being spouted on here if, say, Chelsea, did something similar to us with the Sidwell sell on clause if we were in dire straights.

Not when we did it, no. He was about to sign a new contract with us and I think sell-on clauses have a limited lifetime so that it wouldn't have still applied once he'd signed. I think we could possibly have got away with paying nothing if we'd really wanted to.

Don't forget also that we paid well over the odds for Bennett as a sort of "unofficial compensation" for the deal we'd got with Doyle & Long.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Cork City go bust

by Muskrat » 28 Jul 2009 22:06

Cork go Pop.

Someone had to do it....

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 28 Jul 2009 22:28

sheshnu Didn't Cork ask for the money? Should Reading have taken the moral high ground and refused?

we paid the administrators an amount they would accept

however if Cork only need 200,000 there must be a way Reading FC can help

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 29 Jul 2009 09:31

Jerry St Clair Or just paid the full amount?

What is the full value of a sell-on clause before the player in question is sold on?

Of course it's a shame if Cork City go out of business, but I don't think Reading FC are to blame in any way. In fact they've probably done more than most other football clubs to try and help (I'm guessing).

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 29 Jul 2009 13:46

TBM
Jackson Corner I have just been to Ireland and there football is a mess, Bohiemians the current champions are expected to go bust at the end of the season. Only Shamrock are expected to be the only club not to go part time from next season

The leagues should form with N.Ireland, Scotland and Wales and make it more interesting....maybe then people will watch more??!

Good idea in theory espeicially as most Eircom teams will be part time from next season. In rugby Ulster play in the Magners league.
Trouble is the old north south devide they don't need much excuse for a punch up when a catholic team plays a protastent one.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jul 2009 16:00

gazzer, loyal royal
sheshnu Didn't Cork ask for the money? Should Reading have taken the moral high ground and refused?

That is the figure apparently. There's one match to go before the money has to be paid, and FORAS reckon they can raise £80k if the match is a sell out, not including additional revenue (programmes, merchandising, etc.) The chances of it being a sell out are pretty high apparently, due to the novelty of it being Cork's last ever match.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 30 Jul 2009 16:08

gazzer, loyal royal

Will you be contributing?

st george

by st george » 30 Jul 2009 19:31

Trouble is the old north south devide they don't need much excuse for a punch up when a catholic team plays a protastent one.

Teams from the North and Republic play against each other every season in the Setanta cup and talk of an all Ireland league have been going on for a few years.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 31 Jul 2009 12:33

Arch
gazzer, loyal royal

Will you be contributing?

well if they put a bucket outside the Chelsea game i'd definitely put some money in it

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 31 Jul 2009 14:20

Isn't there an ex cork player whose probably got a nice premiership wage and signing on fee burning a hole in his bank account? Maybe he'd like to make a contribution?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 Aug 2009 10:37

Roy Keane was born in Cork, so there is a man to target

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular

by gazzer, loyal royal » 03 Aug 2009 10:41

RIP ELM Park Isn't there an ex cork player whose probably got a nice premiership wage and signing on fee burning a hole in his bank account? Maybe he'd like to make a contribution?

i'm sure they a;ready said they were onto Doyle

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 03 Aug 2009 19:25

Surely even if they get bailed out it will only be a few more months until this happens all over again

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 04 Aug 2009 14:40

Very Sad news

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 05 Aug 2009 17:12

Better news today.

Cork City's immediate future is secured
Wednesday, 5 August 2009 16:52
Cork City's immediate future has been secured after the club confirmed it has fulfilled its commitment to the High Court and settled its outstanding tax liability with the Revenue Commissioners before today's 5pm deadline.
A statement released by the club read: 'Cork City FC is pleased to confirm that, as per the commitment made in the High Court on Friday last, it has settled its outstanding tax liability with the Revenue Commissioners in full.'
City had an overall tax liability bill of €439,000 with the Revenue Commissioners, and paid €220,000 last Friday and committed to come up with the remainder by 5pm today.

Cork City was informed it must pay €219,000 this evening, and the club has confirmed it has made this payment.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0805/corkcity.html

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 08 Aug 2009 01:09

Starfish Better news today.

Cork City's immediate future is secured
Wednesday, 5 August 2009 16:52
Cork City's immediate future has been secured after the club confirmed it has fulfilled its commitment to the High Court and settled its outstanding tax liability with the Revenue Commissioners before today's 5pm deadline.
A statement released by the club read: 'Cork City FC is pleased to confirm that, as per the commitment made in the High Court on Friday last, it has settled its outstanding tax liability with the Revenue Commissioners in full.'
City had an overall tax liability bill of €439,000 with the Revenue Commissioners, and paid €220,000 last Friday and committed to come up with the remainder by 5pm today.

Cork City was informed it must pay €219,000 this evening, and the club has confirmed it has made this payment.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0805/corkcity.html

Hooray!!

Cork stay afloat!

(Yes!I know. But someone had to...)