Your favourite defunct football clubs

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Your favourite defunct football clubs

by bobbybottler » 29 Jul 2009 23:21

From Despair To Where? Always had a soft spot for Meadowbank Thistle, who in a similar, if not quite as grandiose vein as Queens Park, entertained a couple of dozen fans every fortnight in a 15,000 seat stadium. I suppose they have the honour of going defunct 3 times now as Feranti Thistle (had to change their name and constitution when they joined the Scottish League because works teams were barred from the Scottish League), Meadowbank Thistle and Livingston.

FDTW - I completely forgot about Meadowbank, my Grandad took me to see them back in the day as a part of my "go and take the boy to all three Edinburgh clubs and he can choose who he wants to support" younger days. :roll:

The Meadowbank Stadium, what a hole. Marvellous swimming pool next door mind, with a great line in mutton pies.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jul 2009 10:14

MiniRoyal
Dirk Gently Bradford Park Avenue.

They don't have unusual names. Tottenham Hotspurs, Preston North End, Sheffield Wednesday and Aston Villa are just as odd - but because they're still in business you hear the names so much that they're not so unusual.

Tut tut.

:oops:

Gulty as charged, your honour. I thrown myself upon the mercy of the court!

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 30 Jul 2009 18:47

Dirk Gently Bradford Park Avenue.

They don't have unusual names. Tottenham Hotspurs, Preston North End, Sheffield Wednesday and Aston Villa are just as odd - but because they're still in business you hear the names so much that they're not so unusual.

North End isn't even unique to Preston - there would be former League club Glossop North End for a starter.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 31 Jul 2009 09:27

... and there's at least a couple of dozen 'Villas' out there - closest I think being Hanworth Villa now @ STEP5 - though I spose there could be one ferreted away somewhere in the local Sat/Sun leagues?

My fave - Ashton Villa :? there's two of these in Wigan and one in Preston.

... plus I found a couple more 'Wednesdays' - again the best one: 'Shepherds Wednesday' - from Taunton! :wink:

frimmers

by frimmers » 31 Jul 2009 09:41

aldershot f.c