Paul Scholes this season

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

Re: Paul Scholes this season

by AF1 » 17 Sep 2009 11:31

from f365

Words that spring to mind when the qualities of Paul Scholes are questioned? Great technique, good passer, excellent vollier.......eh.....rubbish tackler.

Yet when the quality of Paul Scholes is questioned we have Utd fans rubbing Zidane quotes in out face, amongst others. Please, footballers are thicker than most forummers, so I don't care what they have to say.

So where am I going with this? Let's look back to the qualities I mentioned in the first line. Yes, he has a good technique, he can pass the ball and keeps good possession of it, and yes, he has scored some special goals.

In the 02-03 season Paul enjoyed the best football of his career. He scored for the first and only time over 10 goals in the league. Yes, just the once he's managed to do this. His assist rate is surprisingly low for a creative midfielder. His work rate is on the average side, and his tackling is a disgrace.

Paul has not scored over 10 goals in one season in all competitions (and there's a lot) for 5 seasons now, an appalling return for someone deemed as a world class attacking midfielder.

He has never won a player of the year award, yet Utd fans will tell you he's the second coming. He's won a few player of the month awards and got in the team of the season twice. Yet Paul finds himself in the 'English Football Hall of Fame', whatever that is.

Utd fans will point to the medals he has won at the club, and rightly so. But John O'Shea nearly has as many medals, as does Wes Brown. Neither of these players are world class, and neither is Paul Scholes. You have to look at the Roy Keanes and Ronaldos to find the real world class players who delivered all these medals. Stam, Schmeichal, van Nistelrooy.

He's has been nothings short of an embarrassment for years now, but Fergie has his favourites (see Ryan Giggs) so he'll keep him on the pay roll and wheel him out for a few minutes here and there.

World Class?

A Myth.

Very good player?

Sure, I'll give you that.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Sep 2009 13:39

Shite post from whoever that was from, poor logic too.

I think i'll trust the comments of 5/6 class players with NO motivation to praise scholes as world class other than genuine truth - over some no mark forum poster. He's never one player of the season as he's up against other world class players- this doesn't mean he's not world class. In his prime he would have got into EVERY team in the world - thats world class.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Sep 2009 13:45

FiNeRaIn Shite post from whoever that was from, poor logic too.

I think i'll trust the comments of 5/6 class players with NO motivation to praise scholes as world class other than genuine truth - over some no mark forum poster. He's never one player of the season as he's up against other world class players- this doesn't mean he's not world class. In his prime he would have got into EVERY team in the world - thats world class.

before accusing somebody of a shite post and poor logic, id take spelling lessons :wink:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Sep 2009 20:52

Focher
FiNeRaIn Shite post from whoever that was from, poor logic too.

before accusing somebody of a shite post and poor logic, id take spelling lessons :wink:

Good god, are you the new spacey?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Sep 2009 11:20

FiNeRaIn I think i'll trust the comments of 5/6 class players with NO motivation to praise scholes as world class other than genuine truth

Footballers don't need any motivation to partake in a bit of ego massaging, back slapping and throwing around a bit of hyped up praise.

Scholes is/was a great player but if a magazine or TV interviewer is going to ask someone like Zidane to quote on Scholes, or any other half decent player, all you're going to get is platitudes.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Sep 2009 11:22

Sending offs attempted 1
Sending offs completed 1

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 18 Sep 2009 11:25

AF1 from f365

Words that spring to mind when the qualities of Paul Scholes are questioned? Great technique, good passer, excellent vollier.......eh.....rubbish tackler.

Yet when the quality of Paul Scholes is questioned we have Utd fans rubbing Zidane quotes in out face, amongst others. Please, footballers are thicker than most forummers, so I don't care what they have to say.

So where am I going with this? Let's look back to the qualities I mentioned in the first line. Yes, he has a good technique, he can pass the ball and keeps good possession of it, and yes, he has scored some special goals.

In the 02-03 season Paul enjoyed the best football of his career. He scored for the first and only time over 10 goals in the league. Yes, just the once he's managed to do this. His assist rate is surprisingly low for a creative midfielder. His work rate is on the average side, and his tackling is a disgrace.

Paul has not scored over 10 goals in one season in all competitions (and there's a lot) for 5 seasons now, an appalling return for someone deemed as a world class attacking midfielder.

He has never won a player of the year award, yet Utd fans will tell you he's the second coming. He's won a few player of the month awards and got in the team of the season twice. Yet Paul finds himself in the 'English Football Hall of Fame', whatever that is.

Utd fans will point to the medals he has won at the club, and rightly so. But John O'Shea nearly has as many medals, as does Wes Brown. Neither of these players are world class, and neither is Paul Scholes. You have to look at the Roy Keanes and Ronaldos to find the real world class players who delivered all these medals. Stam, Schmeichal, van Nistelrooy.

He's has been nothings short of an embarrassment for years now, but Fergie has his favourites (see Ryan Giggs) so he'll keep him on the pay roll and wheel him out for a few minutes here and there.

World Class?

A Myth.

Very good player?

Sure, I'll give you that.

Spacey likes this.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Sep 2009 11:51

Depends what your definition is I suppose but in my book an underperformer at international level (which is ultimately what he was) cannot be termed world class.

A magnificent club player, yes, but no more than that.

Carlton Palmer had as many good games for England as Paul Scholes did.

Ahh, that should wind 'em up nicely!

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 18 Sep 2009 12:41

I don't think you can really take on board the comments from a man who has been thinking for the last 4 years that Arsenal are set to dominate tbf

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Sep 2009 12:45

:D

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 18 Sep 2009 19:56

A member of the greatest crop of youth academy products British football has ever seen IMO

Just a shame England had moronic managers during his prime years.

Will be sort of sad when Neville, Scholes, Giggs etc all retire

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 19 Sep 2009 13:10

Row Z Royal
handbags_harris How can a player be "the complete midfielder" if he can't tackle?

But we've all seen his tackle...