scottish teams in champions league

143 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: scottish teams in champions league

by Silver Fox » 01 Oct 2009 11:12

'greed, but I'd have thought that when they miss out on the european money they'll not be too pleased

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Oct 2009 11:15

Silver Fox 'greed, but I'd have thought that when they miss out on the european money they'll not be too pleased

I think the increase in PL TV money will more than compensate for that - plus, of course, they'd probably see it as a only a temporary loss, as they'd see themselves getting back into Europe through the PL before too long.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Oct 2009 12:50

Since 1965/66 season, only twice has the Scottish Champions NOT been either Celtic or Rangers (Aberdeen under Fergie in 79/80, and Dundee United in 82/83); as a result, Scottish football has none of the excitement of other Leagues as there is none of the unpredicatility of other Leagues.

As a result, it is less attractive to TV companies.

Therefore, the 2 Glasgow giants want to enter the trough of money which is the English Premier League, but to do so would mean that there would be massive pressure for the formation of a British League from UEFA and FIFA for political reasons (explained in other posts). This seems an unlikely proposition as the political situation in Scotland under an SNP Government is proposing a referendum on full Independence in the near future, and the chances of a British League happening as Britain itself breaks up seems illogical to say the least.

As for their inclusion in the CL - doesn't that have something to do with the Nation teams ranking as well as performances of all teams in European competition?

I can see the situation in a couple of Years where the Scottish Champions have to go through qualifying - especially if Rangers fail to even enter the Europa League this season.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Oct 2009 15:47

Royalee 1. Your league is rubbish.
2. You have no money.
3. Your fans are morons as we saw in the UEFA Cup Final in 2008.
4. You don't see Belgian teams joining the Dutch League or vice-versa - you have nothing to add to our league.
5. As a travelling fan I'd rather have my head smashed in with a spade then travel to Glasgow on a Saturday.
6. We don't want Gordon Brown, take him back - you can have your own independence.
7. Religion is like a club for stupid people, I don't care if some third rate Polish goalkeeper made a religious gesture, piss off.
8. Here in England we don't want to see Rangers or Celtic on Sky Sports for Champions League games - sort this out Sky and let us watch Dinamo Bucharest V Sparta Prague, the standard of football would be higher.
9. Ally McCoist is a rubbish pundit, take him back.
10. Good day.

Most of what you write here sounds like a middle class mommas boy who is in his last year of university. " oh god not glasgow" - please, been to london recently? Less black gangs killing people please. If you escape those - watch out for the hate filled race riots around mosque's. Belgian and Holland are two separate countries and they don't fight in the same army, share the same resources or olympics team. Funny how when a scot does well in the olympics or wimbledon its " great britian" when they do shit its " scotland", typical arrogant, snobby self important English that you are.
As for gordon brown, you can keep him thanks - he's hated up in scotland as well. But while we're talking about giving items back, can scotland please have the oil back england has been raping since god knows when?
You say we have no money, but reach the Uefa cup final - quite an achievement for a special club with no money.

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 01 Oct 2009 15:53

ally mccoist is shit though

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Oct 2009 16:08

The Knitting Circle ally mccoist is shit though

Bye bye leeds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndai-x2F ... L&index=15

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 01 Oct 2009 16:34

FiNeRaIn

Bye bye leeds

wots this m8?

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 01 Oct 2009 16:37

FiNeRaIn

Bye bye leeds

Leeds are a League One team m8.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Oct 2009 16:54

The Knitting Circle
FiNeRaIn

Bye bye leeds

wots this m8?

Rangers knocking out englands famous leeds in 92, with mccoist being the hero :D

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 01 Oct 2009 22:01

Dirk Gently It's about seats and votes on FIFA - all 4 national associations are independent entities on UEFA & FIFA. Bring in a British League and there'd be a massive body of opinion for only 1 vote and seat for "Britain" on both.

So there's then be no individual international teams, 4 CL places for that British League, and we'd also lose our 50% membership of IFAB, the body that makes the laws of the game (as we invented the game and lent it to the world, so the 8 votes on IFAB are 4 for the home associations ans 4 for FIFA).

^ this.

I've posted similar before on this board on other threads. I just can't see Rangeer and Celtic joining the EPL. It would be a massive political blow to the respective FAs.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Oct 2009 22:13

Why restrict it to the Champions League?, they should just get rid of Scottish football full stop, a pointless waste of time.

Scottish Football = Dump

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 01 Oct 2009 23:02

Big Ern Why restrict it to the Champions League?, they should just get rid of Scottish football full stop, a pointless waste of time.

Scottish Football = Dump

Ern, you've always been a bit dense. Why not get rid of Scotland altogether eh? I mean they've contributed nothing to football have they? Busby, Shankly, Dalglish, Ferguson, Stein. Not won a cup between them.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 01 Oct 2009 23:36

Top post para.

Scottish managers > english managers. By a mile.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 02 Oct 2009 01:16

Royalee 1. Your league is rubbish.
2. You have no money.
3. Your fans are morons as we saw in the UEFA Cup Final in 2008.
4. You don't see Belgian teams joining the Dutch League or vice-versa - you have nothing to add to our league.
5. As a travelling fan I'd rather have my head smashed in with a spade then travel to Glasgow on a Saturday.
6. We don't want Gordon Brown, take him back - you can have your own independence.
7. Religion is like a club for stupid people, I don't care if some third rate Polish goalkeeper made a religious gesture, piss off.
8. Here in England we don't want to see Rangers or Celtic on Sky Sports for Champions League games - sort this out Sky and let us watch Dinamo Bucharest V Sparta Prague, the standard of football would be higher.
9. Ally McCoist is a rubbish pundit, take him back.
10. Good day.

Jesus wept, I dont know where to start

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Oct 2009 01:32

He's not the brightest :lol: :lol:

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 02 Oct 2009 08:16

Para Handy
Big Ern Why restrict it to the Champions League?, they should just get rid of Scottish football full stop, a pointless waste of time.

Scottish Football = Dump

Ern, you've always been a bit dense. Why not get rid of Scotland altogether eh? I mean they've contributed nothing to football have they? Busby, Shankly, Dalglish, Ferguson, Stein. Not won a cup between them.

when was the last gr8 scottish player then :?: living in the past like the english :?:

scots only make good managers because they are all angry kants.

ps mark stein is english and you missed off dennis law m8

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Oct 2009 10:26

Scottish Football = Dump

My Hearts supporting friend believes that Scottish football would be improved greatly if the Old Firm pissed off. I told him that we don't want them either.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 02 Oct 2009 21:32

All i will add is that a visit to either Parkhead or Ibrox for a CL night will absolutely piss on anything the Premier League clubs have to offer.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 03 Oct 2009 01:15

Silver Fox 'greed, but I'd have thought that when they miss out on the european money they'll not be too pleased

reading made more money finishing third bottom of the PL than rangers or celtic make when they win the SPL and compete in the champions league

as a guide rangers or celtic make about £10M from the champs league group stage should they qualify and £1M from TV money is the SPL.

Alivey

by Alivey » 03 Oct 2009 19:08

perhaps we can start being racist religious bigots and that will make us a more attractive club when a few english people form the south decide to 'choose' which scottish team they support on the merits of what political or religious beliefs they follow. considering how very little our premier league, football league and FA handle racism, sexism and other bigotry celtic and rangers would be right at home and free to express their hatred in a welcoming way just aslong as they make the league good enough money .

143 posts