AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Man City

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Dec 2009 02:18

Shay Given is leading a players revolt....against Sparkies sacking

apparently

if true

All hail to the Citeh players

It is about time that Football took a duty of care of itself, and not get railroaded by businessmen

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 20 Dec 2009 04:07

Row Z Royal What happened to cause the departure of Eriksson?

too much emotion in the Andrex advert. Office oxf*rd probably did him in.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Dec 2009 09:55

weybridgewanderer
TBM They've only lost 2 games this season ffs

Maybe, but only 2 wins in 11. Not enough

We have won 3 of our last 11!

the difference being they are 6th with a game in hand, we are 21st with a game more.

Mancini won't be able to do better and I reckon he'll be gone next season too. Money can't buy you instant success. Villa are doing it the perefect way, as are spurs. City seem to think that the richest clubs = the best clubs

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 20 Dec 2009 10:28

Like Rodgers I dont think Hughes could have done a hell of a lot more yet

The City back four should have performed better, and you would have hoped from more from Robinhio and Adebayor, but I think thats one of those things that does take time no matter how much money you throw at it

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 20 Dec 2009 11:06

Southbank Old Boy Like Rodgers I dont think Hughes could have done a hell of a lot more yet

The City back four should have performed better, and you would have hoped from more from Robinhio and Adebayor, but I think thats one of those things that does take time no matter how much money you throw at it

Wonder how long it is before Manuel Pellegrini gets the boot at Real, for only being 2nd in the league despite spending all that money.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 20 Dec 2009 11:23

True, its just a daft situation really

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 20 Dec 2009 11:37

it's really bad timing.

If he had been sacked after the Spurs game people may understand it. He was a dead man walking. Apparently Mancini shook hands on the deal after the Carling cup game with Arsenal. Sacking Hughes is one thing, but bringing in a man who has won nothing in the game is an oddity. He won the league by default with Inter, and played drab football.

They are a lot better managers available and with some sulkers. Robinho is a certain to go in January and Adebayor and Toure leave in January to go to the African nations.

He'll be gone by this time next year

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 20 Dec 2009 11:58

TBM Money can't buy you instant success. Villa are doing it the perefect way, as are spurs.

Spurs not trying to buy success? Really? And how long has Redknapp been in charge there? A year? If he manages to replicate what Jol managed a couple of years ago, he'll be doing very well. It was not very long ago at all that Spurs were being given as THE example of how to run a club extremely badly.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 20 Dec 2009 12:49

Starfish
TBM Money can't buy you instant success. Villa are doing it the perefect way, as are spurs.

Spurs not trying to buy success? Really? And how long has Redknapp been in charge there? A year? If he manages to replicate what Jol managed a couple of years ago, he'll be doing very well. It was not very long ago at all that Spurs were being given as THE example of how to run a club extremely badly.

Villa won't crack the top 4 without major investment.

Harry's just spent spent spent like he does at every club. And will prob ruin SPurs like he has every other club.

Hughes has had a year and a half. They look like a pub team.

The media have been desperate to right this story since Hughes took over. They are idiots and know very little about how proffesional football clubs work, like most on here.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Dec 2009 14:32

Since when did a season and a half become a long time? As for 'pub team' - their defence is poor, but some of the attacking football they have played this season has been excellent.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 20 Dec 2009 15:44

Did you see them against Spurs?

They were that bad.

This is the best chance of actually going for the title they may have in many season. Arsenal are hit and miss, Liverpool are poor, United and Chelsea aren't even that good this season.

This season was Hughes's chance. A year and a half isn't that long, but this is football. Like I said people have been waiting for this since the new owners took over, everyone has tried to make out he wouldn't be given a chance. He's got a fair crack at it.

Do CIty look like a team that will push on and win the league under Hughes? Based on what I've seen in the last year and a half the answer is a massive no,

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Dec 2009 15:51

Well seen as Hughes didn't inherit a title-winning squad, to judge him over the entire year and a half is ridiculous. He has improved the squad, he has improved their league placing, and they have a cup run.

Rumours Mancini's contract has a six month release clause in case he fails to make 4th place.

What a joke of a club. Of course, it is the way football is going, and that will be the death of it. 10 years until NBA-style franchises in a European league?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Dec 2009 15:57

cmonurz Well seen as Hughes didn't inherit a title-winning squad, to judge him over the entire year and a half is ridiculous. He has improved the squad, he has improved their league placing, and they have a cup run.

Rumours Mancini's contract has a six month release clause in case he fails to make 4th place.

What a joke of a club. Of course, it is the way football is going, and that will be the death of it. 10 years until NBA-style franchises in a European league?

This

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Dec 2009 16:44

Spurs have spent stupid amounts of money for years while continually failing!

As a side issue, how come the money that the likes of Villa are spending is now seen as the sensible way to do it when these amounts were being spent by the top clubs not long ago and were considered obscene? If City spent £400M next summer will Chelsea's spending then suddenly become sensible?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 20 Dec 2009 17:20

Starfish

The key words were "instant success" - nobody at Spurs is expecting them to be in the top 4 come the end of the season, for them getting into Europe is their main aim........whereas Man City's owners expect the title and all the cups just because they've spent shit loads of money.

soggy biscuit As a side issue, how come the money that the likes of Villa are spending is now seen as the sensible way to do it when these amounts were being spent by the top clubs not long ago and were considered obscene? If City spent £400M next summer will Chelsea's spending then suddenly become sensible?

Considering top players these days are moving for £40m alone, Villa spend that on all their targets, not just 1 player.....yes its alot of money BUT they've not been throwing money everywhere trying to buy the title - instead they are doing it slowly, building a team, adding in 2 or 3 players so not to unsettle the team and this season it shows considering they've beaten Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd and look the best bet to be the team that breaks the top 4.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 20 Dec 2009 17:38

So what evidence is there Hughes would have turned CIty into a title winning side?

Cause over the last year and a half I have seen very little to suggest he would....

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 20 Dec 2009 17:42

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 423054.stm

Hughes says 6th place was the agreed target for the end of the season. Looks like the goalposts moved.

SKDD, as in my post above, what does the last year and a half have to do with anything? Seen as no Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool manager has won a title in three seasons, despite having world-class squads in each of those seasons, why should Hughes be able to create world-beaters after inheriting a nothing squad? Seems to me you entirely swallow the belief of some that you can buy a title.

Here is the last Man City side to be picked before Hughes took over:

Isaksson
Onuoha
Dunne
Distin
Jordan
Vassell
Jihai
Johnson
Ireland
Beasley
Mpenza

To be expected to be challenging for the title barely a season later is ridiculous. Do City's owners think other clubs are standing still?

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 20 Dec 2009 18:49

But my argument is that I don't believe Hughes will turn that team into a title winning football side.

I don't buy into the Mansoor's an idiot who knows nothing about football and just sacked him on a wim. Like I said the press have had this story lined up for a year and a half.

How long did Scolari get? Wenger is untouchable, Liverpool's pretty unique in that the manager will get 100% support cause the owners are hated so much.

I think Hughes could have managed City for 10 years and still not delievered.

The players have let him down, but that's what they do. As a manager you have to deal with that, it seems Hughes has been unable to. I'm 100% certain that players have got him the sack, but that is football.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 21 Dec 2009 00:34

TBM The key words were "instant success" - nobody at Spurs is expecting them to be in the top 4 come the end of the season, for them getting into Europe is their main aim........whereas Man City's owners expect the title and all the cups just because they've spent shit loads of money.

Why was Jol sacked TBM? Why did Spurs start courting Ramos after Jol had got them to fifth twice in a row?

Because Jol didn't get them into the top 4. They had spent (and continue to spend) the sort of money to get them there and to claim it was not 'expected' when they then sacked the manager who came within a dodgey dinner of getting them there, is very strange indeed.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 21 Dec 2009 00:45

Starfish
TBM The key words were "instant success" - nobody at Spurs is expecting them to be in the top 4 come the end of the season, for them getting into Europe is their main aim........whereas Man City's owners expect the title and all the cups just because they've spent shit loads of money.

Why was Jol sacked TBM? Why did Spurs start courting Ramos after Jol had got them to fifth twice in a row?

Because Jol didn't get them into the top 4. They had spent (and continue to spend) the sort of money to get them there and to claim it was not 'expected' when they then sacked the manager who came within a dodgey dinner of getting them there, is very strange indeed.

I know what you're saying but Jol had 3 years to do it and as Graham Taylor said a manager needs 3 years to build a squad he feels can win the league (or at least over achieve their objectives). At the time Ramos was regarded as one of the most promising coaches in European football so Spurs wanted to get him on board before other clubs started sniffing around. The believed they could break the top 4 and Ramos would take them 1 step further than Jol did......BUT it didn't work out for Ramos, shame :lol:

This is coming from someone who loves Arsenal :D