The generic transfer thread

10602 posts
Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: The January 2012 transfer thread

by Handsome Man » 29 Dec 2011 20:51

cmonurz Well they won't take a loss on him that soon.

They should though. If anybody offers £10 million for him, they've got to take it. They can always reveal the true price in a year or so's time and say it is undisclosed now.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 29 Dec 2011 21:45

One side of the coin says that but for two stupendous saves by Hart and Bunn, Carroll would have two match-winners at Anfield in the last few weeks. It's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. He has only played 23 games this year (or thereabouts) in fits and spurts - that isn't enough to find form or even get used to Liverpool's style of play.

He has been a disappointment, but should take a £25m loss in a year? No way.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 29 Dec 2011 22:05

Who will be the next player to leave WHL in search of silverware?

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 30 Dec 2011 06:07

TheMaraudingDog Who will be the next player to leave WHL in search of silverware?

there are somany players there worth a fortune i gues levy can sell or buy as he feels fit.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 30 Dec 2011 08:26

cmonurz One side of the coin says that but for two stupendous saves by Hart and Bunn, Carroll would have two match-winners at Anfield in the last few weeks. It's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. He has only played 23 games this year (or thereabouts) in fits and spurts - that isn't enough to find form or even get used to Liverpool's style of play.

Yet nobody seems to be moaning that Suarez only has 1 goal in the last 9 games or 3 in the last 12

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Dec 2011 09:14

frimmers3
TheMaraudingDog Who will be the next player to leave WHL in search of silverware?

there are somany players there worth a fortune i gues levy can sell as he feels fit.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Dec 2011 09:20

TBM
cmonurz One side of the coin says that but for two stupendous saves by Hart and Bunn, Carroll would have two match-winners at Anfield in the last few weeks. It's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes. He has only played 23 games this year (or thereabouts) in fits and spurts - that isn't enough to find form or even get used to Liverpool's style of play.

Yet nobody seems to be moaning that Suarez only has 1 goal in the last 9 games or 3 in the last 12

Very true.

As for Carroll, I think he has been a little unlucky but to a certain extent you make that luck for yourself. I don't think he should've given the keeper any chance with that last minute volley against Blackburn for example. He looks less of a threat at the moment, almost uncomfortable in the role he's trying to play. That's something for Liverpool to sort out and I think it's more than just Carroll being a little unfit or whatever the recent criticism has been.

Suarez needs to convert a few more of his chances too. That would take the pressure off of Carroll a bit, but again, playing upfront on his own a lot of the time it puts more pressure on him. He scores at a good rate for Uruguay so it's not like he isn't a goalscorer as well as being a creative player.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Dec 2011 09:54

TBM

Yeah, I wonder why that is. :roll:

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 30 Dec 2011 11:00

TheMaraudingDog
frimmers3

there are somany players there worth a fortune i gues levy can sell as he feels fit.

Who will be the next player to leave Old Trafford in search of sliverware?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 30 Dec 2011 11:30

cmonurz
TBM

Yeah, I wonder why that is. :roll:

:?:

Why the roll eyes?

People are moaning about Carroll but if you look at how many minutes he's actually played this season and they can't expect him to be banging them in. Also the fact Downing has put in 48-odd crosses but doesn't have a single assist to his name also tells me that Carroll would benefit from playing with Downing.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Dec 2011 12:51

Unless they're planning to go abroad I can't see why anyone would leave the Spuds. After all the top two teams in this country are so bad they can't even make it out of the CL group stages.
Last edited by sandman on 30 Dec 2011 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Dec 2011 13:33

Ideal Liverpool have not solved the major problem they have had for about 10+ years now.
Basicly they have no decent wingers.
You can say whatever you want, I'm sure some people will chime in with "but they have such and such, Charlie Adam bla bla blah", I call that BS.
Simply put, they have a bunch of central midfielders, and their midfield is therefore very narrow.
This has been the situation for ages now.
Sometimes they've tried to sign wingers, but they've always been shoddy French types who didn't turn out allright, Bruno Cheyrou was supposed to be some kind of poor man's Zidane, but it turned out he was just another Michael Meaker.

Then it seems they have this obsession with signing strikers.
Lack of goals? That's allright, we'll just sign a bunch of strikers. Nevermind the fact that our midfield is producing no end product, and consists of a bunch of central midfielders with pedestrian pace, if we sign some more strikers that'll sort it all out. And if we lack a winger, we'll just play a striker there, suuuure, that'll work.

If they went out and got a proper "run down the line" winger who can actually put in a cross with some accuracy, preferably one for each side, then the strikers could actually convert.
Playing Kuyt as right wing is getting old. Sure he's combative and all that, but he is not, and will never be, anything close to a winger. The guy is a combative back-towards-goal forward, that's it. His ability is limited.

What's also sad is that this lack of service and horrible style of play destroys strikers. Middlesbrough kept destroying one striker after another, and Liverpool are doing the same. Just look at Torres. He's ruined, he'll never come back. Even at Chelsea he's doing the same thing, mincing about in midfield looking for the ball, that's what happens when you've got no service from out wide!!

Ideal.
I didn't know that you had this standard of post in you.
there was a similar long-standing problem at left-back which has finally been resolved by now having arguably the best left-back around.
All that is needed now is a new John Barnes and in time Sterling could be the answer.
Glad to see that you are concerned about the welfare of Liverpool FC unlike most on here who are probably too young to remember the glory days and will never also have known Spurs as anything but a run-of-the-mill top level side but had a fabulous team in the early 1960s when ,believe it or not,top level football did exist.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 30 Dec 2011 13:57

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 30 Dec 2011 15:15

Henry back at Arsenal

Although not the same player - he will score goals, that "forehead" misses

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Dec 2011 18:57

Good post Ideal, although I think Liverpool's problem with strikers has been more their poor quality than an obsession with buying them - spending a few million on carthorses like Jovanovic and Voronin has no real impact in the long-run, but only in Torres and recently Suarez and Carroll have the club really invested in quality (or genuine potential) - but then with Fowler and then Owen leading the line they hadn't had to.

In Downing they do have a genuine winger and they need to find a way to get the best out of him - that should be as a supply line to Carroll; given Suarez's strengths I wonder if he could play off Carroll in the 'Gerrard role'.

Maxi Rodriguez should play more often - his scoring record is very good, and he is a player capable of playing wide right effectively.

TBM, the rolly eyes was because I thought it obvious that despite his lack of goals Suarez was getting plaudits for his all round play, which has been excellent. I think he has as many assists as he does goals.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 30 Dec 2011 20:25

seems spurs are destined for the title....even when not playing their position garners credence as the "pack" fail to deliver.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 30 Dec 2011 22:14

cmonurz TBM, the rolly eyes was because I thought it obvious that despite his lack of goals Suarez was getting plaudits for his all round play, which has been excellent. I think he has as many assists as he does goals.

Im not disputing that, i just find it funny how everyone (mainly the media) is jumping on Carrolls back for not scoring enough goals for Liverpool....i could understand it if everyone else around him is banging them in, but for Liverpool they're not.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 30 Dec 2011 23:50

Macheda to us on loan, perhaps

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 31 Dec 2011 00:43

TBM
cmonurz TBM, the rolly eyes was because I thought it obvious that despite his lack of goals Suarez was getting plaudits for his all round play, which has been excellent. I think he has as many assists as he does goals.

Im not disputing that, i just find it funny how everyone (mainly the media) is jumping on Carrolls back for not scoring enough goals for Liverpool....i could understand it if everyone else around him is banging them in, but for Liverpool they're not.

His all round play is cack though, especially compared to Bellers and the SuaRACISTez. 2 sitters missed today...

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 31 Dec 2011 00:49

How can they complain when Carroll cost -£15 million?

10602 posts