We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

5850 posts
Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

Re: We're ManchesteROFL United, we do what we want

by Big Foot » 09 Dec 2014 09:07

Sanguine
Whatevs robbed southampton. Utd are shite

It's not often I'll subscribe to the theory that the standard of an English league has slipped, but the Premier League is pretty shit this season. United have been toilet, yet have won 8 times and sit 3rd. City are a shadow of the team they have been before. The rest (bar Chelsea) are nowhere.

Yup, they raised a good point last night on MNF in that Aguero is probably the only truly World Class player in the league at the moment.

Compare the league to what it was 8-10 years ago & it's a shadow of it's former self.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2014 09:54

And all this despite gargantuan transfer fees and wages to bring in (supposedly) the best in the world (bar a few superstars entrenched in Spain).

How did it happen?

PS Love the fact that Neville's Dog & Duck v Rose & Crown comment seems to have upset LVG. :lol:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 09 Dec 2014 10:14

Big Foot Yup, they raised a good point last night on MNF in that Aguero is probably the only truly World Class player in the league at the moment

I don't buy that.

Costa, Di Maria, Sanchez, Kompany, Yaya, David Silva, Hazard, Ivanovic off the top of my head.

Aguero might be the only one in the top five best players in the world but being "world class" to me just means can you cut it in, say, the last four of the Champions League or a major football tournament which they all could or have"

In fact Rooney's scored in a CL final so stick him in there too.....

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Dec 2014 10:50

Maguire
Big Foot Yup, they raised a good point last night on MNF in that Aguero is probably the only truly World Class player in the league at the moment

I don't buy that.

Costa, Di Maria, Sanchez, Kompany, Yaya, David Silva, Hazard, Ivanovic off the top of my head.

Aguero might be the only one in the top five best players in the world but being "world class" to me just means can you cut it in, say, the last four of the Champions League or a major football tournament which they all could or have"

you were doing so well until your last sentence

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Dec 2014 11:48

I think the emphasis is on "at the moment"

There's no denying that there are some very good players in the league, but how many of them are winning matches single handedly, or look like they're going to score every single game, or get an assist every single game?

Aguero is in the form of his life & playing like Suarez had done in the 2 seasons prior

You could argue that Fabregas has had a world class start to the season, but I don't think he's truly world class - I couldn't see him getting anywhere near the Ballon D'Or award anytime soon, for instance

Froomes

by Froomes » 09 Dec 2014 13:17

Big Foot I think the emphasis is on "at the moment"

There's no denying that there are some very good players in the league, but how many of them are winning matches single handedly, or look like they're going to score every single game, or get an assist every single game?

Aguero is in the form of his life & playing like Suarez had done in the 2 seasons prior

You could argue that Fabregas has had a world class start to the season, but I don't think he's truly world class - I couldn't see him getting anywhere near the Ballon D'Or award anytime soon, for instance

Tbf to Cesc whilst Ronaldo and Messi are playing at the level they currently are no one will be getting anywhere near the Ballon d'Or anytime soon. They are so far ahead of everyone else its frightening.

Also FWIW I dont see Aguero being truly world class until he can shake off those constant injury problems, he simply doesnt play enough games throughout a season to warrant inclusion in that bracket

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 09 Dec 2014 13:41

Froomes
Also FWIW I dont see Aguero being truly world class until he can shake off those constant injury problems, he simply doesnt play enough games throughout a season to warrant inclusion in that bracket

yeah, Chris Smalling has exactly the same problem

Froomes

by Froomes » 09 Dec 2014 13:43

Whatevs
Froomes

yeah, Chris Smalling has exactly the same problem

I did wonder why he hadn't made the shortlist this year...

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Dec 2014 16:03

Froomes
Big Foot I think the emphasis is on "at the moment"

Tbf to Cesc whilst Ronaldo and Messi are playing at the level they currently are no one will be getting anywhere near the Ballon d'Or anytime soon. They are so far ahead of everyone else its frightening.

It'll be interesting to see whether Aguero and/or Fabregas make it onto the shortlist for next year's Ballon D'Or

Interesting to compare top 3 finishes for PL players in 5 year spells...2000-2005 = 4 ( Beckham (2001), Henry (2003 & 2004) & Lampard (2005)...2006-2011 = 4 Ronaldo (2007, 2008 & 2009) & Torres (2008), 2011-Present = 0. The number of world class players in the PL is declining.

Froomes

by Froomes » 09 Dec 2014 16:15

Big Foot It'll be interesting to see whether Aguero and/or Fabregas make it onto the shortlist for next year's Ballon D'Or

Interesting to compare top 3 finishes for PL players in 5 year spells...2000-2005 = 4 ( Beckham (2001), Henry (2003 & 2004) & Lampard (2005)...2006-2011 = 4 Ronaldo (2007, 2008 & 2009) & Torres (2008), 2011-Present = 0. The number of world class players in the PL is declining.

I'd definitely agree with that. These things come in waves, there are players in the PL that definitely have the ability to reach that level though.

Taffster

by Taffster » 09 Dec 2014 19:02

WoodleyRoyal
Maguire

I don't buy that.

you were doing so well until your last sentence

To be fair to Rooney he isn't far of Agueros stats, and when you take into account the fact he hasn't always played striker then he is about evens -

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Dec 2014 19:24

sending offs/bookings?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 22 Jan 2015 10:09

20 years ago today.

I remember listening on the radio at the time it happened and getting very excited

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Jan 2015 22:07

Worlold class entertainment tonight.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 24 Jan 2015 00:16

Empty seats in the away end.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jan 2015 09:14

Woo go Cambridge!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Jan 2015 10:27

If LVG was David Moyes he'd be getting absolutely hammered right now.

No idea why he's getting away with it - looks to me like he hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 24 Jan 2015 11:29

LVG blamed having to play away, the pitch and the referee for their failure to beat Cambridge last night; shocking attitude from him.

He clearly doesn't get having to play lower division teams in Cup competitions, does he? After their humiliation in the Capital One Cup v MK Dons, and now this, he looks utterly bemused at having to slum it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jan 2015 12:37

I get the feeling there's a culture that the players know best and after Ferguson no one else is likely to be able to impose themselves on them. I think it might take a few years and several more managers before that culture change.

Although getting a manager that focuses on sorting out their defence and midfield rather than just buying more goalscorers and flair attackers would probably help.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 24 Jan 2015 12:49

AthleticoSpizz Worlold class entertainment tonight.

:lol: United were beyond wnak

5850 posts