Weekend Football

6098 posts
Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Footba0ooll

by Loafer » 20 Apr 2022 07:05

And the fact that they have one of England's top keepers and don't even use him is absolutely oxf*rd mind boggling

Man United need a complete reshuffle. They utterly ballsed up by not getting Poch in when they had the chance.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by Loafer » 20 Apr 2022 07:07

BBC summed it up nicely

"Ten Hag will be taking on a dysfunctional dressing room inhabited by players who do not want to be there, who are not good enough to be there and a team that embarrassed the club's good name in the 4-0 defeat against Liverpool at Anfield."

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2022 08:21

Royal Rother If Man City end up with more points at the end of the season THEY will DESERVE to win the league.

At the moment Liverpool look like they are peaking, while Man City are slipping slightly. That could switch in the remaining games. Man City’s bigger squad could yet prove decisive.

2 GREAT teams we are fortunate to watch every week.

Yep, either side will be worthy Champions and are clearly the best 2 sides in Europe, if not the world right now.

Interesting* question - assuming Liverpool win the FA Cup and they face City in the CL final but were told they will win one of the League or the CL but not both - which do you think they would go for? I'd say the League to draw level with United on 20.

Also if Liverpool do beat Villareal in the semis, by no means a given, will they be the first team to have played every potential match that they could have played in a season, when they were also in Europe.

I remember Arsenal and Sheff Weds meeting in both cup finals back in the early 90s but can't remember if either had European commitments.

As for Utd, suggestions that as many as 8 to 10 player may arrive this summer, so would imagine a lot leaving too and a completely different side will line up under Ten Hag.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Apr 2022 10:42

Royal Rother If Man City end up with more points at the end of the season THEY will DESERVE to win the league.

At the moment Liverpool look like they are peaking, while Man City are slipping slightly. That could switch in the remaining games. Man City’s bigger squad could yet prove decisive.

2 GREAT teams we are fortunate to watch every week.

As noted before, Liverpool are the only team to have scored 90+ league points and not won it, and they could yet do it again. Or City might. These are two incredible teams. Both teams have won 17 of their last 21 league games, losing just once. Neither side really giving an inch. City the only side to stop Liverpool winning since Chelsea on 2nd Jan.

Brighton have turned their form around. Odd season, they lost just four of their first 23 league games, and then lost six in a row. They have won at Arsenal and Spurs in the last couple of weeks, and got draws at Chelsea and Liverpool. Might they be the ones to throw a spanner into the title chase? Probably not. Can see this going to the last day.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Apr 2022 10:48

Have absolutely no faith in Brighton being able to stop City.

It will come down to what happens in the Champions League for me. If City get a narrow win in their first leg of the semi, I can see them resting the majority of their first 11 for the Premier League games before the 2nd leg, Pep wants the CL more than the PL imo. That could open the door for Liverpool to build a small gap.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Apr 2022 11:54

And I'll then thoroughly enjoy Liverpool pipping them to the title AND beating City in the CL final (or MAdrid after they come back in the second leg)

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 20 Apr 2022 12:56

Also think, given the choice, that Liverpool would take the PL, and City the CL. The two outcomes that I assume would piss off Man U the most.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 Apr 2022 15:18

If Liverpool manage the four, that’s quite possibly the worst scenario for United.

20 titles matched and the ‘treble’ outperformed

Through gritted teeth I’m sure United fans would want City to win the PL

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Apr 2022 16:03

Loafer BBC summed it up nicely

"Ten Hag will be taking on a dysfunctional dressing room inhabited by players who do not want to be there, who are not good enough to be there and a team that embarrassed the club's good name in the 4-0 defeat against Liverpool at Anfield."

that result/performance was indeed humiliating, but it is not their worst result/performance of the season.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Apr 2022 16:39

Whore Jackie Also think, given the choice, that Liverpool would take the PL, and City the CL. The two outcomes that I assume would piss off Man U the most.

It seems odd to me that the percieved wisdom seems to be that City have the strongest squad but the same school of thought is saying that they'll change things to concentrate on one trophy or another (as seen on Saturday)

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 20 Apr 2022 18:42

Franchise FC If Liverpool manage the four, that’s quite possibly the worst scenario for United.

20 titles matched and the ‘treble’ outperformed

Through gritted teeth I’m sure United fans would want City to win the PL

Nailed it

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 20 Apr 2022 18:44

Silver Fox
Whore Jackie Also think, given the choice, that Liverpool would take the PL, and City the CL. The two outcomes that I assume would piss off Man U the most.

It seems odd to me that the percieved wisdom seems to be that City have the strongest squad but the same school of thought is saying that they'll change things to concentrate on one trophy or another (as seen on Saturday)

City have about 15 players that played over 20 games this season...a lot of them would walk into most other squads

Would have to check up on it tho to compare

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 20 Apr 2022 19:06

City: 14 players 20+ appearances, 4 with about 10

Liverpool: 12 players with 20+ appearances, 4 with about 16, 5 with about 10

So in terms of squad depth, I'm seeing very little difference if I'm honest

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Apr 2022 11:00

After the Liverpool v Man Utd game it was interesting to hear Souness' view (not contradicted by either ex-Man Utd's Neville or Keane)that if picking the best 11 for the two starting teams NONE of the Man Utd lot would get in.
That is despite £80 million or so spent on Maguire and Pogba plus whatever it was for Wan-Bissaka and Fernandes let alone the sub Sancho.

What an indictment of the Man Utd spending and team building in recent years.
And the fans blame the Glaziers.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Apr 2022 11:50

South Coast Royal After the Liverpool v Man Utd game it was interesting to hear Souness' view (not contradicted by either ex-Man Utd's Neville or Keane)that if picking the best 11 for the two starting teams NONE of the Man Utd lot would get in.
That is despite £80 million or so spent on Maguire and Pogba plus whatever it was for Wan-Bissaka and Fernandes let alone the sub Sancho.

and Souness is absolutely right - not one of them would get into either Liverpool or Man City team.

They are an utter mess. Complete re-build yet again. Think its more than just coaching and a number of players want out. They really could be the modern day Arsenal for years.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Apr 2022 11:50

So, no dice for Brighton, City back on top.

Wonder if Newcastle might yet have a say in this. Just three defeats in 15 games, have won their last six at St. James Park (and lost there only once under Howe). They host Liverpool in a week, and travel to City in May.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Apr 2022 11:53

paultheroyal
South Coast Royal After the Liverpool v Man Utd game it was interesting to hear Souness' view (not contradicted by either ex-Man Utd's Neville or Keane)that if picking the best 11 for the two starting teams NONE of the Man Utd lot would get in.

and Souness is absolutely right - not one of them would get into either Liverpool or Man City team.

They are an utter mess. Complete re-build yet again. Think its more than just coaching and a number of players want out. They really could be the modern day Arsenal for years.

I think Ronaldo gets into the City team, although that is more down to them not having a recognised CF, rather than him fitting in with how City play. He'd score a oxf*rd hatful with the way City play though.

Other than that, I think De Gea is someone who wouldn't make either team worse, not that he would necessarily get in ahead of Alison/Ederson, just that he would be adequate enough to have both teams still at the top of the league.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Apr 2022 12:18

Hendo
paultheroyal

I think Ronaldo gets into the City team, although that is more down to them not having a recognised CF, rather than him fitting in with how City play. He'd score a oxf*rd hatful with the way City play though.

Other than that, I think De Gea is someone who wouldn't make either team worse, not that he would necessarily get in ahead of Alison/Ederson, just that he would be adequate enough to have both teams still at the top of the league.

I think Pogba would do alright under Pep in that City team.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 Apr 2022 12:22

NathStPaul
Hendo
paultheroyal

Not a bad shout, as long has he had a good partner next to him. Rodri or Fernandinho would be fine.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Apr 2022 12:26

Hendo
NathStPaul
Hendo

Not a bad shout, as long has he had a good partner next to him. Rodri or Fernandinho would be fine.

If he has no responsibility then he's a decent player, I remember Ole started playing him in an advanced role at some point last season and he looked like a world beater. Think he went on a pretty decent scoring run. Once you leave Pogba exposed in midfield or playing next to the likes of Matic or McTominay he just loses his head a bit, hasn't got the stomach for a tough midfield battle imo.

6098 posts