Oh when the Saints, go...

310 posts
rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Oh when the Saints, go...

by rabidbee » 01 Jul 2009 21:59

Oh yeah, I've had years of LOLs at Leeds' expense, and I hope a new saga starts at Newcastle. For all of the banter, I don't think that Saints deserve the same fate, though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jul 2009 22:00

Besides, a lot of their fans would do the same for us, so consider it a pre-emptive strike.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jul 2009 11:22

RR, good point about it being the holding company or the other subsidaries causing the problems for the football club.

I've not followed the story much, but didn't they try to weasel out of the points deducations because it was the holding company going bust and not the football club or something.

Maybe the holding compaines figures would be the better ones to look at?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Jul 2009 11:38

Hoop Blah RR, good point about it being the holding company or the other subsidaries causing the problems for the football club.

I've not followed the story much, but didn't they try to weasel out of the points deducations because it was the holding company going bust and not the football club or something.

Maybe the holding compaines figures would be the better ones to look at?

That's correct, they said that it's not the football club going into administration, it's the holding company. So the Football League got in some financial "forensic experts" who found that the two entities were (quote) "inextricably linked", and so the points deduction stands.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 02 Jul 2009 15:35

But when you look at it, so many clubs have actually gone bankrupt, its just that the football league rules on insolvency allow clubs to keep their golden share when they go into administration.

The only time a club will fold completely is when there isn't anybody with a big enough heart to pump their own cash into a completely unviable business.

Surely the question should be asked, should clubs be allowed to keep their league status if they cant come up with a CVA? The huge points deductions are a bit of a cop out to be honest. The Conference, rightly, would not accept clubs in such a poor state, so why should the football league? The conference have kicked out the likes of Boston and Halifax for a good reason. To maintain the integrity of the League and to reward the well run clubs, thus increasing the overall standards both on and off the pitch.

If they keep handing out massive points deducation on a regular basis the football league will rapidly become a farce.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Jul 2009 15:49

Tony Le Mesmer The Conference, rightly, would not accept clubs in such a poor state, so why should the football league? The conference have kicked out the likes of Boston and Halifax for a good reason. To maintain the integrity of the League and to reward the well run clubs, thus increasing the overall standards both on and off the pitch.

Forgive the isolated comment, but one thing springs out from the quote above: Weymouth.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jul 2009 15:51

I think the state that a lot of clubs are in probably prevents the league doing that, although it might well be the eventual aim.

Walk before you run probably applies here.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jul 2009 16:14

handbags_harris
Tony Le Mesmer The Conference, rightly, would not accept clubs in such a poor state, so why should the football league? The conference have kicked out the likes of Boston and Halifax for a good reason. To maintain the integrity of the League and to reward the well run clubs, thus increasing the overall standards both on and off the pitch.

Forgive the isolated comment, but one thing springs out from the quote above: Weymouth.

Difference being Weymouth hit trouble in the middle of the season and kicking them out would have destroyed the club as they would have had no income. Boston and Halifax were removed post/pre season which is the correct time to do such things.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 16:54

Saints won't go bust, or do an Aldershot or Maidstone.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jul 2009 18:53

readingbedding Saints won't go bust, or do an Aldershot or Maidstone.

Any evidence or reasoning for that all-encompassing assertion?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 19:22

Mr Fry will not wind up the Club tomorrow.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jul 2009 19:24

readingbedding Mr Fry will not wind up the Club tomorrow.

Any evidence or reasoning for that all-encompassing assertion?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 19:44

Use your loaf

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jul 2009 19:52

Really? I'm just very interested to know what inside knowledge you have that allows you to make such certain pronouncements.....

Or are they just opinion?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 02 Jul 2009 20:04

Stranded
handbags_harris

Difference being Weymouth hit trouble in the middle of the season and kicking them out would have destroyed the club as they would have had no income. Boston and Halifax were removed post/pre season which is the correct time to do such things.

The club was almost destroyed anyway, they lost their entire first team in February. As a result the 2nd half of the league became a farce because every team that played Weymouth was all but guaranteed 3 points, and in the case of Rushden, an opportunity to really improve their goal difference. I fail to see how a league that has Torquay Utd 0-2 Weymouth, followed by Weymouth 0-9 Rushden & Diamonds, with completely different Weymouth first teams, is a league that has integrity. Part of me thinks that they should have been kicked out of the league, the other part says they fulfilled their fixtures so all was ok. But it blatantly wasn't.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Jul 2009 13:19

How's the doom-mongering going?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jul 2009 13:35

handbags_harris
handbags_harris

The club was almost destroyed anyway, they lost their entire first team in February. As a result the 2nd half of the league became a farce because every team that played Weymouth was all but guaranteed 3 points, and in the case of Rushden, an opportunity to really improve their goal difference. I fail to see how a league that has Torquay Utd 0-2 Weymouth, followed by Weymouth 0-9 Rushden & Diamonds, with completely different Weymouth first teams, is a league that has integrity. Part of me thinks that they should have been kicked out of the league, the other part says they fulfilled their fixtures so all was ok. But it blatantly wasn't.

It also had a HUGE bearing on the final day scenario. Because of Weymers being a joke, a struggling Burton went and won there 5-0 one of their only wins in their last ten games. It meant Cambridge had to try and overturn a 5 goal swing on the last day, simply down to that match. Burton lost, as it happened Cambridge didn't win, but going into the last game knwoing you need to just win, rather than win 5,6-0 is somewhat different.

Said before the BSP could be a really competitive decent league almost L3, but it won't while this sort of shit is allowed to happen.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 03 Jul 2009 13:57

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Jul 2009 13:58

Going bust aren't they?
A season or two there would be good for him.
If his knee stands up to it.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Jul 2009 14:07

2 week trial? Southampton FC might not exist tomorrow let alone in 2 weeks.

310 posts