Non - League thread 2009/10

725 posts
RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Non - League thread 2009/10

by RG30 » 21 Nov 2009 21:06

AthleticoSpizz
RG30 Went to Farsley Vs Droylsden today, Farsley were superb and were comfortable 5-2 winners. Also found a new Non League Magazine has come out called NonLeague24, looks good but a bit pricey at £3.95

Neil Parsley's Farsley?

Great result for them, Droylsden have been doing well...............have you got any links to this new mag?..............always p1ssed off when The Non League Paper stopped running the crossword (saddo that I am.........I nearly completed one once)

Indeed Neil Parsley is the Manager. The result was surprising given how well Droylsden have done recently and I didn't think Farsley played that well last week but 2nd half they were on fire and rightfully got a standing ovation as they left the field. Farsley got a good keeper in Piotr Skiba, he made a couple of excellent saves in the first half.

http://nln24.com/mag

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Nov 2009 21:11

Yeah BIG-UP Farsley

Thanx for the link RG

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 22 Nov 2009 02:11

My Staines v Millwall tickets came today 8)

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 24 Nov 2009 23:36

Result from Scours Lane tonight was Reading Town 5 Marlow United 1.The ref was late turning up and I clocked him walking past me at 7.40pm, kit case in tow, on the way to the changing room. The match didn't get underway until 8pm, although I'm never sure what the official kick-off time is for evening games at Scours Lane as they don't seem to publish it anywhere that I can see. 8pm is definitely too late though. The wind and rain made good football difficult, or I would have used that excuse in any case. The wind was in Reading's favour in the first half and they eased into a 3-0 lead by half time. It was toughter for them playing into the wind in the second half but they still managed to increase the lead. There were lots of stoppages for injuries and the match didn't finish untiil 10pm, by which time we were all more than ready to go home.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 25 Nov 2009 15:18

eddiegrundy The match didn't get underway until 8pm, although I'm never sure what the official kick-off time is for evening games at Scours Lane as they don't seem to publish it anywhere that I can see.

Official KO time for Town is 19:45 - much like the majority of sides in the Hellenic Premier - exceptions that I'm aware of (cos I've been caught out once or twice ! :oops: ) who Kick Off at 19:30 are :
Ardley Utd, Ascot Utd, & Hook Norton -

oh and last season's champs Hungerford Town - who still KO earlier even though they are in the Southern league now.

I think it may have something to do with local bye-laws - i.e. their lights were put up on the understanding that they aren't in use after a certain time - though of course some leeway would be granted in the event of Cup Ties: ET & pens etc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elsewhere last night:-

Southern One South & West
Hungerford 4-2 Andover

Combined Counties Prem
Camberley (1st) lost 0-2 @ Badshot Lea
Chertsey bt Wembley 2-0
Cove D1-1 @ Bedfont.

In Reading Town's league -
- Hook Norton won 2-0 @ Bicester in the battle of the basement
- Binfield's game was rained off @ Ardley
- Ascot lost 1-2 @ Flackwell
- Kidlington were beaten 0-1 by Abingdon Town - bit of a shock

... a few other local sides did play but only in League/County Cup ties
Maidenhead bt Chesham in the B&B
... in the SL Cup
Thatcham lost 2-3 to Farnboro
Marlow bt Bedfont G 3-0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
... I dodged the the bad weather (and the prospect of watching the insomnia-curing Scouserzzzz) - nipped over to Cobham and watched a fairly entertaining 4-1 win over Feltham in the Combined Counties Div One, for a club that that occasionally shortens their (long) name to MVSCRFC - bit of a nightmare draw in Scrabble that :lol: - back home and out again to the Pub by 22:30.
Don't spose I'd have got there much earlier had I opted for Scours.

Oh and their full name - Mole Valley Sutton Common Rovers FC. :?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 27 Nov 2009 10:46

... this weekends' games for 'local' NL sides:

CONFS
Basingstoke Town v Welling United
Havant and Waterlooville v Maidenhead United
Woking v Dorchester Town
...and
Dover Ath. v Thurrock
Lewes v Newport County
Hampton & Richmond Borough v Bath City - Postponed
Bath H v Forest G in the FA Cup 2nd Rnd

SOUTHP
Cambridge City v Didcot Town
Swindon Supermarine v Farnborough
SOUTH1M
Atherstone Town v Marlow
Aylesbury United v Slough Town
Beaconsfield SYCOB v Hitchin Town
Burnham v Sutton Coldfield Town
SOUTH1S&W
Abingdon United v Windsor & Eton
Bedfont Green v Cinderford Town @ Stag Meadow Windsor
Bracknell Town v Cirencester Town
Thatcham Town v Paulton Rovers
Uxbridge v Hungerford Town

Combined Counties League Prem.
Camberley Town v Hanworth Villa
Cove v Guildford City
Sandhurst Town v North Greenford Utd
CCL Div One
Frimley Green v Westfield

HELLENIC Prem.
Kidlington v Ascot United
Div One East
Henley Town v Holyport
Kintbury Rangers v Eton Wick
Newbury v Rayners Lane
Challenge Cup
Carterton v Woodley Town
Finchampstead v Slimbridge
Wantage Town v Wokingham & Emmbrook
Reading Town v Pegasus Juniors

Wessex One
Fawley v AFC Aldermaston - home side are top and comfortably highest scorers in the Division; AFC have lost all 16 league games with GD of - 54 - won't be pleasant! :?
Fleet Spurs v Ringwood Town
Tadley Calleva v Verwood Town

.... and finally - Sad news from Hellenic One East :– Prestwood (nr Wycombe) have called it a day – citing lack of players and loss of income. They had gained only 1 point from their league games this season including quite a few double-figure defeats.
That’s the third club to resign from the Hellenic League so far this season.

Eleswhere looks as if Kings Lynn have been wound-up – a contributing factor must have been the FA’s whizzy idea :roll: to make them play in the Conference North then demote them to the Unibond Northen Premier. :shock:
Plus looks as if Kettering may be on the brink too – need a new ground to progress; local council are blocking it but want them out of Rockingham Rd – Chairman fed-up - says he’ll close the club in 6 weeks – mind you he has said this sort of thing in the past.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 27 Nov 2009 11:20

Indeed it does look the end for Kings Lynn.

http://www.thelinnets.co.uk/

Their last 2 league fixtures were wins of 11-0 and 7-2 :shock:

4th in the league as well with gates approaching 4 figures. Yet the story seems barely worth a mention :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Nov 2009 18:48

Barely raises an eyebrow even here

http://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.co ... 64&sud=352

Kings Lynn despite getting promotion to the Blue Sqare a season or two ago, were denied (and no-doubt financially, deprived) due to "shortcomings" at the Walks Stadium.
This being despite being able to sustain 1200+ crowds, quite comfortably at that lower division (Ryman??) during their promotion season, .........crazy.

Until recently, our once very own Scott Howie was GK there.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Nov 2009 21:53

Tony Le Mesmer Indeed it does look the end for Kings Lynn.

http://www.thelinnets.co.uk/

Their last 2 league fixtures were wins of 11-0 and 7-2 :shock:

4th in the league as well with gates approaching 4 figures. Yet the story seems barely worth a mention :roll:

Referee'd Kings Lynn many a time coming through the ranks. Although its sad to see them go, behind the scenes they are a nasty horribly run club with unpleasant boardroom staff. On a par with Dartford and Tonbridge!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Nov 2009 20:28

A very scrappy 1-0 win for Town today at Scours against a much improved Pegasus Juniors.

Sending off, bookings, clueless Ref and a fat goalie were the only points of interest at this fractious cup match.

Crowd approx 35

Top swearing from both teams :roll:

(just what you want when taking impressionable 11 year old to game)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 28 Nov 2009 21:51

Today's NL Scores:

CONFS
Basingstoke Town v Welling United 1-1
Havant and Waterlooville v Maidenhead United 1-0 :(
Woking v Dorchester Town 3-1

Dover Ath. v Thurrock 1-0
Lewes v Newport County 0-3

SOUTHP
Cambridge City v Didcot Town 4-1
Swindon Supermarine v Farnborough 0-7 :shock:
SOUTH1M
Atherstone Town v Marlow 0-3
Aylesbury United v Slough Town 2-5
Beaconsfield SYCOB v Hitchin Town 1-1 good pt v league leaders
Burnham v Sutton Coldfield Town 1-5 terrible result - Burnham had only conceded 7 in total before this PM
SOUTH1S&W
Abingdon United v Windsor & Eton 0-2 Royalists in 2nd on GD behind AFC Totton who've registered 11 straight league wins now
Bedfont Green v Cinderford Town 0-0
Bracknell Town v Cirencester Town 0-4 :(
Thatcham Town v Paulton Rovers 0-1 :(
Uxbridge v Hungerford Town 0-1 :)

Combined Counties League Prem.
Camberley Town v Hanworth Villa 4-1
Cove v Guildford City 2-0
Sandhurst Town v North Greenford Utd - Postponed
CCL Div One
Frimley Green v Westfield 2-1

HELLENIC Prem.
Kidlington v Ascot United 4-0
Div One East
Henley Town v Holyport 2-0
Kintbury Rangers v Eton Wick 2-1
Newbury v Rayners Lane 0-2
Challenge Cup
Carterton v Woodley Town 1-2 surprise win over a Premier side
Finchampstead v Slimbridge 4-5 aet
Wantage Town v Wokingham & Emmbrook Postponed

Wessex One
Fawley v AFC Aldermaston 9-1 no surprise there :?
Fleet Spurs v Ringwood Town 5-3
Tadley Calleva v Verwood Town 1-4

Chose (well the M25 chose for me) a really duff game @ Brentwood v Tilbury - my first 0-0 for 98 Non-League games. :roll:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Nov 2009 21:58

.out of interest FOC (well interesting to me anyway........), are you Reading based? (you seem to cover a lot of mileage for the great cause....and hats off to you for doing it)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 28 Nov 2009 23:26

Yup - lived squarely in RG1 for yonkz - Born in Battle Hosp. - dragged up in Bracknell - lived in Kent for a few years - returned late 70's.

Elm Park 'Toilehurst Ender' - though actually remember standing in the 'Town End' a lot before it became a proper 'Away end' - did occasionally wander around the South Bank and often sat in the front row Norfolk Rd Stand - nearest to the Spread - still couldn't manage to get across the road after the game faster than Terry Hurlock though! :P

- then North Stand at MadStad to date - eldest Son has also been an ST holder for a few years now, though he's finding this season a bit difficult to enthuse about :? - often thinks of better things to do with his Sat afternoons - enjoys his NL football too - for him, the lower down the Pyramid the better! 8)
Last edited by Four Of Clubs on 28 Nov 2009 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Nov 2009 23:38

nice 'un

and your furthest flung and favourite and frequently visited NL team? (mine? Lancaster City must've seen them, inexplicably, about 20 times..............still look out for them each week)

Royalist

by Royalist » 28 Nov 2009 23:43

Four Of Clubs enjoys his NL football too - for him, the lower down the Pyramid the better! 8)

Then perhaps he is the only reading fan enjoying the slide this season!? :D

Windsor vs Totton in a few weeks promises to be a good match!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Nov 2009 23:50

Hey Royalist

Do you recall a Richard Evans #9 back in 1990/91?

Used to travel to the Stag with him until he went to Sutton Utd

Royalist

by Royalist » 28 Nov 2009 23:53

Before my time. First match was in 94 but only really started going down about 6 years ago full time. Sure i've heard the name though from the more old school fans!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Nov 2009 23:56

Royalist Before my time. First match was in 94 but only really started going down about 6 years ago full time. Sure i've heard the name though from the more old school fans!!

Tell your mates that he scored a hatrick in a 5-2 victory against Spurs in a friendly :)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 29 Nov 2009 00:11

AthleticoSpizz nice 'un

and your furthest flung and favourite and frequently visited NL team? (mine? Lancaster City must've seen them, inexplicably, about 20 times..............still look out for them each week)

... hmm odd that - my original reply seems to have vanished in all this cross-fire! :?

Anyway -
'furthest flung': Two NL in Scotland - Ft William & St Andrews - we have friends live near both.
From Reading on a Saturday: Wells, Shepton Mallet, Merthyr or Histon

'frequently visited' - recently probably Scours Lane - but only since they are the 'emergency stand-by' in the event of babysitting problems or In-laws turning up late to do same. Certainly not 'favourite' team nor ground - plus there's the little matter of the Lad with the Drum. Not been again yet this season - I try to share my midweek revisits around - go where I've not been for a while if feasible.

I don't tend to develop 'favourites' as such, since I try and get to 'new' grounds wherever possible on a weekend - though I do like to 'follow' local sides if they are away in the Vase/Trophy.

I do like going to Binfield & Milton Utd nr Didcot - but probably due the novelty of their 'midweek' games being on a Monday.
Similarly Andover New Street - who play on a Thursday - though that is a challenge to find if you've not been before. Not the easiest of grounds to find in the dark either - inspite of the Floodlights. :|

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Nov 2009 00:43

That makes good reading (and blows away my boasts) .... you either have too much time on your hands or love your footy to an extreme (either way, I'm jealous)

FWIW Scours seem to be dvoid of a drummer these days......not that it should've been too much of a problem anyway............what with 90% of the ground normally vacant.

725 posts