World Cup Play-Offs

522 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: World Cup Play-Offs

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Nov 2009 11:49

LOL at the usual "why don't we have goaline technology" argument on SKY last night

Er, hello no we shouldn't, stuff like this happens, its part and parcel of the game you just have to handle it and get on with life - it is only a GAME after all!

More importanly how does France's qualification effect Engalnd's seeding for the draw in a couple of weeks; pot 1 or 2?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 Nov 2009 11:52

Hoop Blah On the calls for video replays, where would you draw the line though?

As said it should be for the ref to use only....if he's 100% sure he has the decision correct then it shouldn't be used but if he's undecided then a quick radio up to the video man can clear things up. It should only be used for things like diving for penalties and goals being scored - not decisions that MAY lead up to a goal.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 19 Nov 2009 11:57

Given some of the absolutely stupid comments made by Matt Holland throughout the game I have no regard for anything he says about the goal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Nov 2009 11:59

Sun Tzu
cmonurz Like paps, a :roll: from me at whoever wrote it was marginal, in fact that replay suggest that there was definite movement of the arm for the first handball, never mind the second, which isn't actually so clear from that angle.

Ha ! it was a somewhat tongue in cheek comment !
It was a handball (talk of 'two' handballs is pointless really although the second movement is the more convincing one).

I'm bemused by the comment about officials getting every decision 'right'. it won;t happen ever. Officials make hundreds of decisions during a game (possibly thousands). They make them from a fixed point and often make several simultaneously. They won;t get them all right.

The one last night wasn't an error by the officials. They simply couldn't have seen it. None of them would have seen it and decided it wasn;t handball.

I hope this doesn't take us off down the road of video replays again. It would destroy the game. I've also heard people suggesting managers should be able to challenge two decisions per half. Obviously using the huge success that introducing that into cricket as the basis for that one !

I feel really sorry for the Irish, they deserved better (although not much better given their inability to score more than once in 210 minutes !). There have been many far more 'unfair' incidents but for it to happen so late in such a key game must have been a real sickener. I would have loved them to have been in S Africa if only to have had Doyle /Hunt / Hunt / Long / O'Dea to follow.

Does work well in tennis and American Football though.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 19 Nov 2009 12:04

Barry the bird boggler LOL at the usual "why don't we have goaline technology" argument on SKY last night

Er, hello no we shouldn't, stuff like this happens, its part and parcel of the game you just have to handle it and get on with life - it is only a GAME after all!

More importanly how does France's qualification effect Engalnd's seeding for the draw in a couple of weeks; pot 1 or 2?

Unbeleivably, Portugal and France can move up the World rankings based on their play off wins. Despite the fact that they only played the game due to being shit.

And that anti English racist Jack Warner has a say in the format for seeding.

Say no more.

Having said that, i dont really see the difference it makes. If England cant get through the group stage, whoever they play, it means they aint good enough. If they do get through a tough group, they will be better set for the rest of the tournament.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 19 Nov 2009 12:05

Not sure it works well in tennis. I don't watch huge amounts but what I have seen tends to include many challenges designed more to break up the game than actually question a call. It's also really different in an individual sport with play that is very compartmentalised. Replaying a point in tennis is straightforward, working out how on earth you would deal with a challenge based on a free kick not being awarded would be hard.

American football is also more 'play' orientated so possible easier to implement a challenge system. I'm not that up on the rules but suspect they are much more like rugby (ie pretty much fact based) whereas the laws of football are very dependent on the opinions of the official and require interpretation based on judgement of intent.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 19 Nov 2009 12:13

To those who have given me abuse - I wasn't watching the game, I was having a curry. So fook off.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 19 Nov 2009 12:15

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 26 Jun 2010 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Nov 2009 12:18

Still, In O'Neills in Reading - I expect to see the old "We'll be supporting the Ivory Coast as they have the same flag as us posters" :lol:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 19 Nov 2009 12:18

Thaumagurist*
soggy biscuit
handbags_harris Henry, I felt, was a beacon of fair play during his time in the Premier League.

Even after his comedy dive against Spain in WC2006 that lead to a goal?

Exactly, what a crock of shit when people claim Henry's always been a fair player, when he's really a dirty cheating oxf*rd.

LOL

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 19 Nov 2009 12:19

No Fixed Abode Still, In O'Neills in Reading - I expect to see the old "We'll be supporting the Ivory Coast as they have the same flag as us posters" :lol:

You mean they wont be supporting England? :?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Nov 2009 12:22

TBM
No Fixed Abode Still, In O'Neills in Reading - I expect to see the old "We'll be supporting the Ivory Coast as they have the same flag as us posters" :lol:

Nope. The Irish weren't on our side in the War, so I don't expect them to support us at football. At least France were on our side.

Still I'm lol'ing at those Irish fans in Temple bar back in 2004 who wore Franch shirts when they beat England......

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 19 Nov 2009 12:23

No Fixed Abode
TBM

Nope. The Irish weren't on our side in the War,.

That will come as a bit of a shock to a lot of people....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Nov 2009 12:27

At least France were on our side.

:|

Is that, like, a joke?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Nov 2009 12:30

papereyes
At least France were on our side.

:|

Is that, like, a joke?

:roll:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 19 Nov 2009 12:30

Thaumagurist*
soggy biscuit
handbags_harris Henry, I felt, was a beacon of fair play during his time in the Premier League.

Even after his comedy dive against Spain in WC2006 that lead to a goal?

Exactly, what a crock of shit when people claim Henry's always been a fair player, when he's really a dirty cheating oxf*rd.

time to change the avataROFL.

IreLOLand.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Nov 2009 12:36

TBM
Hoop Blah On the calls for video replays, where would you draw the line though?

As said it should be for the ref to use only....if he's 100% sure he has the decision correct then it shouldn't be used but if he's undecided then a quick radio up to the video man can clear things up. It should only be used for things like diving for penalties and goals being scored - not decisions that MAY lead up to a goal.

Then your just opening it up to more judgement and opinion though and once you've introduced it for goals then the pressure will be there to stretch that to the next level of incidents/decisions etc and it won't be long before it creeps into other areas.

Imagine the pressure the ref would be under from players and managers to review every decision he makes.

I just don't think it's workable, and, to be honest, the element of error makes the game interesting!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 19 Nov 2009 12:36

Alan Partridge time to change the avataROFL.

IreLOLand.

Who wants this one?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 19 Nov 2009 12:37

TBM
Alan Partridge time to change the avataROFL.

IreLOLand.

Who wants this one?

LOL!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 19 Nov 2009 12:39

522 posts