PBR

Re: England World Cup Qualifiers

by PBR » 16 Oct 2012 22:51

Honduras game was pretty good

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 16 Oct 2012 23:55

sputnik Watched the Germany v Sweden game instead, much better entertainment than we would have got from Poland this evening. Incredible comeback with Sweden 4-0 down, coming back to 4-4.

nah you're wrong! I'm pretty certain it would have been 9-10 last minute winner from Wellbeck

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 17 Oct 2012 00:15

creative_username_1
sputnik Watched the Germany v Sweden game instead, much better entertainment than we would have got from Poland this evening. Incredible comeback with Sweden 4-0 down, coming back to 4-4.

nah you're wrong! I'm pretty certain it would have been 9-10 last minute winner from Wellbeck

£126 matched on betfair for a draw at 999/1 when Germany were 4-0 up.

Never lay the draw people.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 17 Oct 2012 00:33

http://rightbankwawaeuro2012.wordpress. ... saw-style/ My take on a bit of a mare for the Poles.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 17 Oct 2012 02:44

That was the best international I have seen for years. Germany played like Barca for 60 minutes. And defended like Oxford for the last 30 minutes. Did you notice the music and PA When the Germans scored! Christ I haven't seen them that excited since they invaded Poland.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 17 Oct 2012 04:00

bobbybottler
Never lay the draw people.

:lol:

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 17 Oct 2012 06:22

Fiasco last night would never have happened in the Premier League.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 17 Oct 2012 10:34

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Oct 2012 12:02

Royalclapper Close roof? well, um, er, er....we didn't expect, er this rain to um er be bad
Ok, so why not close it early afternoon and the game will go ahead regardless? well er, um, we talked earlier to Mr Mannering, Pike and Jonesy and they assured us everything would be fine.

Quote:

Then she sought to explain FIFA's reluctance to call the game off even when the situation seemed hopeless: "We have a heating system which, if we close the roof, can dry the pitch in 30 minutes."

................and fry everyone already in the stadium. :shock: :wink:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 17 Oct 2012 12:06

Had a meeting with some Swedish colleagues this morning who spent two thirds of it talking about the game, the team are heros over there now.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Oct 2012 12:07

I was thinking that too, you need a drainage system to get water off the pitch not a heating system. Were they proposing to racket up the heating system so high that it evaporated the water? Sounds like a sure way to kill the grass or total bullshit.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Oct 2012 12:14

Is the game going to be on ITV? - cant find any listings anywhere

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 17 Oct 2012 12:14

TBM Is the game going to be on ITV? - cant find any listings anywhere

Yes.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 17 Oct 2012 12:16

Green Yeh I read it, for the avoidance of doubt it's the United Nations Statistics Division I'm referring to.

Not sure why you're now quoting another article back at me, the original one does indicate there are different definitions.

I understand the disctinctions are probably cultural rather than geographic, but there is still something slightly amusing about parts of Southern Europe being further west than anywhere in Western Europe (and parts of Eastern Europe being further north than anywhere in Northern Europe, though that's hardly avoidable).

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Oct 2012 12:29

1. What a total farce. Polish FA should be severely fined by FIFA over this, why on earth was the roof never closed, even when it was chucking it down - does it take several days to close or something or was it broken?
2. If FIFA officals get invovled why do things always become farcical? Inspection at 8pm another atd 8.45 when it obvious to a blind man at 7pm the game couldn't be played
3. Nice to see respect working both ways and the fans left stood about watching it rain with no thought and little information (still at least they didn't have to suffer ITV Sport).

Hoping for continuing rain today and another postponement :lol:

Finally, looking forward to FIFA slapping Serbia's wrists and giving them a fine and forcing the U21 team to play their next couple of games behind closed doors when what they should do is ex-communicate the Serbian FA for 2 years, therefore barring Serbia from continued participation in the World Cup.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 17 Oct 2012 12:36

Gordons Cumming
Royalclapper Close roof? well, um, er, er....we didn't expect, er this rain to um er be bad
Ok, so why not close it early afternoon and the game will go ahead regardless? well er, um, we talked earlier to Mr Mannering, Pike and Jonesy and they assured us everything would be fine.

Quote:

Then she sought to explain FIFA's reluctance to call the game off even when the situation seemed hopeless: "We have a heating system which, if we close the roof, can dry the pitch in 30 minutes."

................and fry everyone already in the stadium. :shock: :wink:

:lol: And you were waiting for Gabriel Clarke to present her with a bottle of bubbly for the 'least desirable tv appearance of the night award'

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 12:45

PieEater I was thinking that too, you need a drainage system to get water off the pitch not a heating system. Were they proposing to racket up the heating system so high that it evaporated the water? Sounds like a sure way to kill the grass or total bullshit.

It did sound pretty fancilful, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt considering she was speaking under quite a lot of pressure, not in her native language and about things that those listening had absolutley no knowledge of, and she probably wasn't an expert either (she was only the media liason or something).

By 'heating system' she may have meant all sorts of magical machines that look after the pitch! A lot can get lost in translation.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 17 Oct 2012 12:45

Jackson Corner

That was the best international I have seen for years. Germany played like Barca for 60 minutes. And defended like Oxford for the last 30 minutes. Did you notice the music and PA When the Germans scored! Christ I haven't seen them that excited since they invaded Poland.

Spain v France just as good. Typical Spanish dominance first half followed by the French having a go second half and game being end to end which resulted in a French equaliser thirty seconds after the three minutes of injury time was up. How it stayed 1-0 in that second half for so long i don't know but it shows if you get at the Spanish defence they aren't the greatest side defending. Best game i've watched so far this season!

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 17 Oct 2012 12:49

I watched Croatia v Wales in the end, which was shite. Wales are rubbish at possession, weak at the back, and the less said about the attack the better.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2012 12:49

Barry the bird boggler 1. What a total farce. Polish FA should be severely fined by FIFA over this, why on earth was the roof never closed, even when it was chucking it down - does it take several days to close or something or was it broken?

A few different stories about who's decision and responsibility it was, but the one that came from the most official, and I'd assume knowing source, said that it was down to the FIFA delegates to open or shut the roof.

I'd imagine that once there has been significant rain on the roof it gets quite a bit heavier and so the mechanical bits to close the roof might not be up to the task of moving the roof plus surface water etc. It seems odd that it can handle wind though, but then again as the roof hole gets smaller higher winds might make it more dangerous.

There is no excuse for not closing the roof before it got to that stage though and someone should probably get the sack for it not happening.

326 posts