World Cup Bid

647 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: World Cup Bid

by ZacNaloen » 02 Dec 2010 17:52

What is it with Brits and putting themselves down?

We've been voted something like the second best tourists overall by a poll comissioned by expedia? we were only behind the japanese.

It's just not true that we are disliked when we go abroad.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Dec 2010 17:53

Mr Angry So VM - your atitude is "don't bother bidding for things like this"?

No,as this approach hasn't worked let's try a different approach perhaps.
The same goes for our national team-what we do now doesn't work so let's try a different approach.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Dec 2010 17:53

BR2 ..... as Soggy said whatever way it goes can we just accept it and if it goes against us then be gracious and further accept that those other countries don't like us very much and don't go all orgasmic (as MrA did earlier) at the sight of three spivs in suits, Dave,Dave and Wills prostituting themselves.

You really are a Class A cock aren't you???

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Dec 2010 17:56

ZacNaloen What is it with Brits and putting themselves down?

We've been voted something like the second best tourists overall by a poll comissioned by expedia? we were only behind the japanese.

Zac,
What were the criteria?
Behaviour?
Amount of money spent?
It's just not good enough to say "a poll said"
You might just as well say "a Pole said"

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Dec 2010 17:58

Mr Angry
Svlad Cjelli A couple of people I know who are generally ITK are saying that support for Russia has "collapsed" in the last week, which is why Putin is not going - he doesn't want to be publicly associated with something that loses.

Seems like your sources aren't quite "ITK" as you - or they - think.

Or maybe Putin is not so much of a glory-seeker as our Daves?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Dec 2010 17:58

Victor Meldrew
Mr Angry So VM - your atitude is "don't bother bidding for things like this"?

No,as this approach hasn't worked let's try a different approach perhaps.
The same goes for our national team-what we do now doesn't work so let's try a different approach.

So what would you suggest the different approach should be for these bids??

I agree about the national Team btw; the problem there is that to achieve a different approach we have to start right at the v ery beginning again; more coaches, schoolkids being chosen for representative sides not because they are the biggest kids, but because they are the most skilful, and we, as fans, not screaming "Lump it forward to the big man!!!!!", or "Stop fannying about Royals - get the ball into the box" etc etc etc when the ball is passed across the midfield for 3 or 4 minutes at a time.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Dec 2010 18:00

Victor Meldrew
Mr Angry
Svlad Cjelli A couple of people I know who are generally ITK are saying that support for Russia has "collapsed" in the last week, which is why Putin is not going - he doesn't want to be publicly associated with something that loses.

Seems like your sources aren't quite "ITK" as you - or they - think.

Or maybe Putin is not so much of a glory-seeker as our Daves?

The quote was that the Russian vote had collapsed - or didn't you read that bit?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 02 Dec 2010 18:03

Yeah, spot on - they (and I, by implication) were completely wrong on that one.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 02 Dec 2010 18:04

Victor Meldrew

Zac,
What were the criteria?
Behaviour?
Amount of money spent?

Tell that to the bloody newspapers then because I can't find the breakdown of the results. Even from the source.

It's things like, behaviour, spending habits, trying the local language etc

Overall we came second.

With the French at the bottom of the Pile.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Dec 2010 18:05

Victor Meldrew

Zac,
What were the criteria?
Behaviour?
Amount of money spent?

And what's your criteria for stating we are disliked abroad?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Dec 2010 18:05

Gus the teenage cow FIFA in being "corrupt money-grabbing bastards" shocker, no World Cup in Western Europe from 2006 to at best 2026 as well as a fcuking shocking allocation of places for teams in Western Europe yet Platini just sits there taking it up the arse from Blatter, if UEFA had any balls they'd tell FIFA where to go

oh and shame on Lineker, Shearer et all for having a pop at the likes of the Guardian and Panorama for calling FIFA on their shenanigans, would they prefer England played the Russia/Qatar/SpainPortugal game of sucking the dicks and greasing the palms of FIFA cronies....prefer to lose in honour than win in shame

oh well one world cup to the mafia and the next to a desert, a great day for football

FIFA are just a disgusting organisation and Blatter needs shooting

Spot on young man.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Dec 2010 18:07

Silver Fox Don't stress about it BR2, you'll be long gone by 2018 so it's not really going to be your problem. I can't imagine how much seeing Beckham deliver such a good speech must have hurt you when you're not supporting our bid

Thanks for the death wish Foxy.
A good speech about himself and good old Bobby Charlton-not sure what that was meant to do with our bid,perhaps you could explain because it doesn't look as though it helped our case much.
If that was a "good speech" it sounds as though you haven't heard many speeches in your lifetime.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 02 Dec 2010 18:10

Maguire
Gus the teenage cow FIFA in being "corrupt money-grabbing bastards" shocker, no World Cup in Western Europe from 2006 to at best 2026 as well as a fcuking shocking allocation of places for teams in Western Europe yet Platini just sits there taking it up the arse from Blatter, if UEFA had any balls they'd tell FIFA where to go

oh and shame on Lineker, Shearer et all for having a pop at the likes of the Guardian and Panorama for calling FIFA on their shenanigans, would they prefer England played the Russia/Qatar/SpainPortugal game of sucking the dicks and greasing the palms of FIFA cronies....prefer to lose in honour than win in shame

oh well one world cup to the mafia and the next to a desert, a great day for football

FIFA are just a disgusting organisation and Blatter needs shooting

Spot on young man.

I'd never thought I'd type this...but Gus.....that is a perfectly worded, clean expression of my exact reaction after the vote! I've just had a quick look at Have Your Say on the BBC News website and it scares me the number of people blaming BBC/Times for what has happened. If FIFA wasn't corrupt these stories wouldn't have happened!!

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 02 Dec 2010 18:11

It's like the Eurovision song contest innit.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Dec 2010 18:11

Victor Meldrew Face up to it, a lot of the rest of the world don't like us and it's hardly surprising when you see our folk when they step away from our little island and behave as if they own the world

Where does that ever happen? The reality is that British people are generally quite a decent bunch - people like you enjoy spinning the myth about how we're all football hooligans or how we only go on holiday to Ibiza and fight each other in the street but that simply isn't the case. How many people do you actually know who do this?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 02 Dec 2010 18:14

Agreed, except the bit about Platini. UEFA have no say in any of this - it's not a hierarchy of FA > UEFA > FIFA as many people think.

UEFA is actually just a competition organiser, they aren't in the middle at all, and can't influence FIFA directly. All their member associations belong to FIFA too, but UEFA has no authority therein.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Dec 2010 18:19

Svlad Cjelli Yeah, spot on - they (and I, by implication) were completely wrong on that one.

They were probably right SC - but then a certain Mr Blatter took a hand.

The reports coming from Zurich are that Blatter gave the Executive Comittee a 15 minute "pep" talk before voting began, where he brandished press cuttings from various English newspapers, and reminded them of the Panorama programme, before all but instructing them to vote for Russia. Russia then get 9 votes in the first ballot; England only 2. The delegates then voted for Russia in the second round, (even some - obviously who had voted for the other 2 bids that were still in it after the first round), thus doing what Blatter wanted. So much for it being a "close" vote.

As for the source of that, probably someone in the room at the time who may feel a little aggrieved at the events this afternoon (Geoff Thompson).

I'm sure Blatter's motive's are driven by a noble desire to see football spread across the Globe reaching places it hasn't been to before and where football is growing, like South Africa, and er........ Brazil.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Dec 2010 18:21

Maguire
Victor Meldrew Face up to it, a lot of the rest of the world don't like us and it's hardly surprising when you see our folk when they step away from our little island and behave as if they own the world

Where does that ever happen? The reality is that British people are generally quite a decent bunch - people like you enjoy spinning the myth about how we're all football hooligans or how we only go on holiday to Ibiza and fight each other in the street but that simply isn't the case. How many people do you actually know who do this?

Russians, Israelis and South Africans are meant to be hideous holiday makers; arrogant and constantly demanding.

The reputation that VM is refering to is, I would imagine, the stereo-typed Brit in Benidorm on a Club 18-30 holiday.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 02 Dec 2010 18:27

I'm really not all that fussed by this decision. You were a fool if you really thought we had a chance in hosting this tournament. You can't even hold the BBC responsible! I absolutely detest the modern money mad game we watch today, with money mad money orientated footballers and corrupt football federations & associations, owners etc. Am I disappointed the world cup isn't coming to England? Absolutely not! One bonus for not seeing the World Cup come here is Plymouth and Bristol not seeing investments in their stadiums. West country tossers!

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 02 Dec 2010 18:29

I hear the Maldives is rife with British binge drinking tourists, urinating on palm trees and fighting with local fish.

647 posts