Weekend Football

6102 posts
LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Weekend Football

by LUX » 14 May 2023 19:41

Really don’t like Brighton, but very pleased with that result.

Even if I don’t really like City either.

Hang on, who do I like?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 May 2023 20:08

LUX Really don’t like Brighton, but very pleased with that result.

Even if I don’t really like City either.

Hang on, who do I like?
if you ‘like football’ none of the above

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 14 May 2023 20:11

In the Premiership, I am very happy for Brentford and Fulham ( sorry Leon).

For personal reasons I really want Leicester to stay up. Soft spot for Everton, prolly cos, like Spurs, they are eternal failures.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 May 2023 21:52

AthleticoSpizz There ya go

Another Manchester £ity Premier title….no embargoes there……straight bat, straight down the crease :roll:

‘Greed

Much as there’s always a desire to play at the top level, sometimes on reflection I think we’re better off where we are

City’s successes are everything that’s wrong with the game encapsulated in one - soulless club

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2023 06:13

URZZZZ

Another Manchester £ity Premier title….no embargoes there……straight bat, straight down the crease :roll:

‘Greed

Much as there’s always a desire to play at the top level, sometimes on reflection I think we’re better off where we are

City’s successes are everything that’s wrong with the game encapsulated in one - soulless club

Agree, funnily enough no real problem with Liverpool or United dominance as that would be borne out of a proper big club rather than these ghastly plastic vapid "money no object" history vacuums like City and, formerly, Chelsea. Good to see that Chelsea might soon be going down the tubes, hoping City will go the same way in the not too distant and we can all regroup on hating the next "big spenders" in plastic world - Newcastle (though actually hoping they'll be like a Reading and just not very good at it).

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 May 2023 07:44

Sutekh
URZZZZ

‘Greed

Agree, funnily enough no real problem with Liverpool or United dominance as that would be borne out of a proper big club rather than these ghastly plastic vapid "money no object" history vacuums like City and, formerly, Chelsea. Good to see that Chelsea might soon be going down the tubes, hoping City will go the same way in the not too distant and we can all regroup on hating the next "big spenders" in plastic world - Newcastle (though actually hoping they'll be like a Reading and just not very good at it).

You might want to check a bit if history.
Both United and Liverpool went around buying up the best talent when they were dominant.
Liverpool were the City of the 70’s
United, well, the fact that they once had the top three valued transfers seems to suggest it was all about money for them too

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2023 08:52

Franchise FC
Sutekh
URZZZZ
‘Greed

Both United and Liverpool went around buying up the best talent when they were dominant.
United, well, the fact that they once had the top three valued transfers seems to suggest it was all about money for them too

Actually Liverpool did not buy up all the best talent, under Paisley they were very shrewd and picked up players that matched to the Liverpool way, largely for next to nothing from the lower leagues e.g. Phil Neal off of Northampton. The only big spending they did in the 70s really was Dalglish and that was only because they'd just sold Keegan for 500 grand. Dynamics changed slightly in the 80s as more money came into the game but still I don't really recall Liverpool at the forefront in buying everything that moved and pushing prices up. Barnes was only 900 grand 10 years or so after Dalglish and it wasn't until 1987 that they finally spent £1m+ on anyone when Beardsley arrived.

Also there are the history and fanbase arguments for Liverpool and United, given their accomplishments and worldwide followings that City and Chavski are just nowhere near.

City were even spending big (but badly) on the supposed best talent in the 70s/80s, Steve Daley for £1.5m :lol:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 May 2023 09:16

Those clubs also bought up the best talent by having big grounds that sold out all the time, so they were funding it with their own money, money paid over the turnstiles, and not by massive amounts of outside, non-football related overseas "investment."

It was all to do with football, not international prestige or winning a pissing competition with the sheik from the next emirate down...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2023 09:25

Wouldn't call City a history vacuum and their owners seem to take a interest in maintaining the club's place and role in the community.

By all means criticise their spending power but don't pin them as a soulless Northern Chelsea, they are actually way better than that.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 May 2023 11:48

LUX In the Premiership, I am very happy for Brentford and Fulham ( sorry Leon).

For personal reasons I really want Leicester to stay up. Soft spot for Everton, prolly cos, like Spurs, they are eternal failures.

dear me LUX where do I start with this?

Brentford yes. The rest can all rot in the firery pits of hell.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2023 13:08

leon
LUX In the Premiership, I am very happy for Brentford and Fulham ( sorry Leon).

dear me LUX where do I start with this?

Brentford yes. The rest can all rot in the firery pits of hell.

Surely, other than Everton fans, everyone, at least quietly, wants the :lol: of Everton being relegated esp if it causes a financial melt down at the club that ultimately has ramifications for all the big spending elite tosspots.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2023 14:08

Not really. They're a scaled up version of us

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2023 18:12

Franchise FC
Sutekh
URZZZZ
‘Greed

It's funny how everyone loved city as the real manchester club with proper fans and history. Until they got rich and almost unstoppable.

And now they're plastic losers with no history buying the league.

Like the league isn't bought most seasons through history.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 May 2023 20:45

Snowflake Royal Like the league isn't bought most seasons through history.

How it's bought is the key factor

Team getting 10,000 a week outspending a team that gets 3000 - everyone is fine with that

Team getting 3000 a week outspending a team that gets 10,000 due to outside financing - people often aren't happy

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2023 22:34

tmesis
Snowflake Royal Like the league isn't bought most seasons through history.

How it's bought is the key factor

Team getting 10,000 a week outspending a team that gets 3000 - everyone is fine with that

Team getting 3000 a week outspending a team that gets 10,000 due to outside financing - people often aren't happy

Although it's what most fans beg their owners to do.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 May 2023 09:19

I reckon that's Leicester done now. They have to beat Newcastle away who, after Liverpool's resurgence are at real risk of dropping out of the top four if they're not careful

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 May 2023 09:55

Yeah, was thinking a couple of weeks ago that United might have been the ones to choke in the race for CL but they seem to have steadied the ship and now United have to be looking nervously at the Brighton game on Thursday(?)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 May 2023 11:13

Seven wins in a row now for Liverpool, and unbeaten in nine. Does appear that, with Curtis Jones' improvement and the tactical tweak on TAA's game, Klopp has found his way out of their crappy form.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 16 May 2023 11:18

Sanguine Seven wins in a row now for Liverpool, and unbeaten in nine. Does appear that, with Curtis Jones' improvement and the tactical tweak on TAA's game, Klopp has found his way out of their crappy form.

Just one of those seasons I reckon, a lot of big clubs have them from time to time.

If they can bring in 3 big game players in the summer I would expect them to be challenging next season.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 May 2023 09:34

In 2014, Luton won the National League. In 2016, Leicester City were winning the Premier League and Luton were in their second season in League Two (they would secure promotion two years later). In just a couple of weeks, Luton might be in a higher division than Leicester.

And I'm just reading that their net spend on their rise through the divisions is -£11m. If they are promoted, Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu will become the first player to have played in the top five divisions in England for the same club.

And it's been done to death, but I'd love to see Kenilworth Road in today's Premier League. Will anyone not be a Luton fan on 27th May?

6102 posts