Should John Terry be reinstated as England Captain?

No Fixed Abode

Re: Should John Terry be reinstated as England Captain?

by No Fixed Abode » 21 Mar 2011 18:52

Mr Angry
No Fixed Abode JT - Captain. Legend.

For Chelsea - yes.

For England....................??

No difference in the way he captains the side, he's just playing with inferior players for England.

daswonder

by daswonder » 21 Mar 2011 19:01

As the journalists said on Sunday Supplement, if Terry was such a great captain why is it his Euro's was spent at home as England didn't qualify and he was relieved of the duties before the last World Cup.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Mar 2011 19:12

We are talking international football here. The top players of this nation. If they need guidance when on the pitch then that explains everything.

The game of football comprises of partnerships all over the pitch. Goalkeeper and back 4, the two central defenders, full backs and players in front, the two central midfielders, the two strikers. All the players should take responsibility when on the pitch. I still fail to see the relevance of a captain on the field of play. And if a manager / coach is barking instructions from the touchline, who are they barked at? The player nearest!

For what it's worth, they could give the captaincy to the oldest player in the team or the one with the most caps.

Now, if football was to take a leaf out of Rugby Union's book, then I can see a benefit of having a captain. What I would like to see is the captain be the only player oon the pitch to be able to approach the referee to discuss a decision that has been made or to request clarification. Also, the referee can call the captain across when required so that he can pass on a message to the rest of the team regarding behaviour. Works perfectly well in rugby. Why can't football try the same?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Mar 2011 19:17

TB, captaincy isn't just what happens on the pitch. I suggest the majority of their influence is through what they do off the pitch and behind closed doors.

The captaincy is also a badge of honour (it perhaps wouldn't be if we just gave it out randomly) and should be treated as such.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Mar 2011 19:26

Hoop Blah TB, captaincy isn't just what happens on the pitch. I suggest the majority of their influence is through what they do off the pitch and behind closed doors.

The captaincy is also a badge of honour (it perhaps wouldn't be if we just gave it out randomly) and should be treated as such.

Fair comment. So with the captaincy comes a level of expectation with regard to standards. And, dare I say, to act as some sort of role model and example to everyone else. All well and good if we were still in the halcyon days of black and white tv but we are not. Taking your concept of captaincy HB, who in the current squad could possibly fit the bill?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Mar 2011 20:13

Terminal Boardom
Hoop Blah TB, captaincy isn't just what happens on the pitch. I suggest the majority of their influence is through what they do off the pitch and behind closed doors.

Fair comment. So with the captaincy comes a level of expectation with regard to standards. And, dare I say, to act as some sort of role model and example to everyone else. All well and good if we were still in the halcyon days of black and white tv but we are not. Taking your concept of captaincy HB, who in the current squad could possibly fit the bill?

This is why Beckham was a good captain - wasn't always about what he did on the pitch. The youngsters up and down the country respected him and always wanted to be him.....

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 21 Mar 2011 20:45

TBM
Terminal Boardom

This is why Beckham was a good captain - wasn't always about what he did on the pitch. The youngsters up and down the country respected him and always wanted to be him.....

'greed and of the currrent crop of players, there's only really Ferdinand that's relatively untarnished.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Mar 2011 21:01

Y21_Royal
'greed and of the currrent crop of players, there's only really Ferdinand that's relatively untarnished.

Hmmm. You've been Merked! :shock:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Mar 2011 21:47

Terminal Boardom

Unfortunately all the current squad are tarnished to some extent, and with Ferdinand and Gerrard injured there is a bit of a void. The sub-culture within football where pretty much anything your celebrity and money can get you is acceptable means we're a bit pushed for choice.

For my money I'd give the gig to Gerrard, but Ferdinand is a evry close second.

With those two missing, as I think I said previously, I'd give Rooney the armband on this 'one-off' occassion. I'm not sure which way he'd go with it long term (it could be the making of him but I have concerns) but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets it when the new manager takes over. In a similar way, for this one off, I'd say Ashley Cole would be acceptable on the pitch, but off it? I don't see him thriving in the spot light.

I saw that Neil Warnock made a case for Scott Parker. Would be a bit difficult giving it to someone who's not likely to play, but I can see the arguement.

Another left field suggestion for a tempory solution would be Joe Hart. Yes he's young but he seems to have an aura about him.

Regarding Beckham, he was an excellent captain but I think he did too much for himself and his own self promotion. He contributed to the situation now where the captain is quite the media whore. He wasn't quite so spotless either. Daft sending offs, petulance, infidelity, rumours of sordid acts with champagne bottles etc, but he was a much better role model than the likes of Rooney or Terry.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 22 Mar 2011 01:28

Y21_Royal there's only really Ferdinand that's relatively untarnished.

:lol:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 22 Mar 2011 14:37

soggy biscuit
Y21_Royal there's only really Ferdinand that's relatively untarnished.

:lol:

He did say "relatively".

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 22 Mar 2011 14:37

Hoop Blah Too many cooks spoil the broth....

I read this, rather pertinently, as "too many cocks..."

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Mar 2011 15:28

Row Z Royal

To be fair I did think of typing that at the time too.

Interestingly Glen Johnson has come out and said this won't cause a rift and all the players are right behind Terry as captain. What a surprise. I really thought a player would stand up and say they were would be a number of players pissed off and distracted by this etc etc.

I'm really not sure why they bother interviewing most players as you rarely get anything other more their media trained cliches and non-controversial bland soundbites.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 24 Mar 2011 14:16

Hoop Blah
Row Z Royal

To be fair I did think of typing that at the time too.

Interestingly Glen Johnson has come out and said this won't cause a rift and all the players are right behind Terry as captain. What a surprise. I really thought a player would stand up and say they were would be a number of players pissed off and distracted by this etc etc.

I'm really not sure why they bother interviewing most players as you rarely get anything other more their media trained cliches and non-controversial bland soundbites.

Yesterday, despite it being the nicest day of the Year so far, Cappello refused to allow his players to play golf after training; instead, they were offered the choice of staying in their hotel rooms ( :shock: ) or meeting the media; only Crouch and Johnson chose to meet the media!!

Seriously though, what genuine benefit can be gained by not allowing the players a bit of golf course relaxation and bonding; FFS, its only bl**dy Wales they are playing at the weekend, not Argentina or Brazil in a WC Final!

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 24 Mar 2011 17:31

maybe they need their sleep

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 24 Mar 2011 21:12

No. Ferdinand should be given the armband. I have no idea what Cappello was thinking... :roll:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Mar 2011 22:32

A great big NO!!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Mar 2011 22:32

Ideal
Hoop Blah Interestingly Glen Johnson has come out and said this won't cause a rift and all the players are right behind Terry as captain. What a surprise. I really thought a player would stand up and say they were would be a number of players pissed off and distracted by this etc etc.

Just goes to show what kind of childish mentality footballers have.
Just like the common school bully, Terry is seen as "the cool kid" and no matter who he bullies he will still be allowed to get away with anything.
No matter which girlfriend he wangs one up the rear of, he is too cool for criticism. Like Jesus, he walks on water, just because he is sooooo coooool.

I was being sarcastic obviously. Do you really think players are going to openly criticise the manager and upset the apple cart in front of their team mates or the media?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 25 Mar 2011 02:14

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 25 Mar 2011 02:38

I will spare a thought for Wayne Bridge at 3pm on Saturday afternoon.